Common searches

Why 7Z not RAR or ZIP?

Topic actions

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why do you guys use 7ZIP archive format?

I always have to upack and repack them.

ZIP is universal, ok it is old, and not so effective.
RAR is new and effective, and it still has a RAR 32bit DOS extractor.
But what the .... i do with a 7Z files 😁

Ok you can use HXDOS extender and Windows console program, but come on...

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 1 of 27, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It packs better and is completely free. ZIP has lots of free tools, but not all extensions are universal (for example not all unpackers can handle encrypted archives) + it is not the best in terms of compression ratio. RAR is better but isn't free.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

It packs better and is completely free. ZIP has lots of free tools, but not all extensions are universal (for example not all unpackers can handle encrypted archives) + it is not the best in terms of compression ratio. RAR is better but isn't free.

7ZIP can make ZIP archives. I generally use the ZIP format as it is more universal and newer Windows has included ZIP support.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 27, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All seem to have their place:
.ZIP = Well supported, very fast, reasonable compression, no secure password encryption, 4GB size limit.
.RAR = In the middle between .ZIP and .7Z in speed and compression, secure password encryption.
.7Z = Usually the best compression, but terribly slow of you want to extract just one file from a bigger archive.

I use .7Z only for big archives / archives which I don't expect to access much. Or when .7Z seems to do a much better job with the compression: this varies a lot between what is to be archived.

There seems to be an update to the .RAR format which prevents an older version like WinRAR 3.93 (2010) to unpack some archives.

Where did .ARJ go? That is what I used in the 90s 🤣

edit: 2 typos.

Last edited by gerwin on 2017-09-27, 19:46. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 27, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

Why is this in DOS?

I think his point is that some DOS software is distributed in 7Z-form, but there are no 7-zip tools for DOS?

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 27, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

.7Z = Usually the best compression, but terribly slow of you want to extract just one file from a bigger archive.

This depends on the "solid block size" which has an absurdly high default value. RAR also has an option to create "solid" archives.

Just set the solid block size to something resonable (several MB instead of several GB) and you'll have fast decompression of single files.

Scali wrote:

I think his point is that some DOS software is distributed in 7Z-form, but there are no 7-zip tools for DOS?

7-zip for DOS:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … p-archiver.html

Reply 7 of 27, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It puzzles me when people upload archives for others in 7zip format, particularly smaller ones (but even large ones when the data is already compressed). They're thinking too much about size and too little about convenience. I often zip up files that I upload for others and the option is always there to save a megabyte or two by using 7zip or RAR, but it's just not worth it to inconvenience many users. I upload things to help people and throwing an obstacle in the path of many doesn't make sense. Even regular 7zip/RAR users sometimes want to open archives on other machines that they have or are setting up and don't have the utility installed on.

Last edited by Osprey on 2017-09-27, 19:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Azarien wrote:
Scali wrote:

7-zip for DOS:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … p-archiver.html

Supposedly HXRT works for the command line ver of 7-zip and mabye doswin32 as well.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where did .ARJ go? That is what I used in the 90s

For a long time, I wondered the same about *.ARC.. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I kinda miss LHAs and LZHs with self-extractors that aren't as annoying as pkzip. It's still the standard in Japan where it originated however

Rar's more popular in Europe for some reason *cough*disk spanning for sneaker nets*cough*

7zip unfortunately had format changes and regressions to older 7zip utilities to extract 7zs so the userbase is a bit fragmented.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

7Zip always reminds me of old 7plus, a "compression" (packer/extractor) used for packet-radio..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 27, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Osprey wrote:

It puzzles me when people upload archives for others in 7zip format, particularly smaller ones (but even large ones when the data is already compressed). They're thinking too much about size and too little about convenience.

I agree.

cyclone3d wrote:

7ZIP can make ZIP archives. I generally use the ZIP format as it is more universal and newer Windows has included ZIP support.

Except I think even newer Windows cannot unpack password-protected archives (or maybe some of them, depending on the encryption used).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 14 of 27, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dude, there were many formats, but come on, at least i am A DOS person, so RAR32(3.9) or RAR16(2.50), ARJ, ZIP, ZOO, ACE .... for me thank you 😀

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 15 of 27, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote:

Dude, there were many formats, but come on, at least i am A DOS person, so RAR32(3.9) or RAR16(2.50), ARJ, ZIP, ZOO, ACE .... for me thank you 😀

You forgot LHA 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 16 of 27, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have fond memories of PAR from the Usenet days. I don't remember if it applied its own compression algorithm, but it was an archive format that was great for recovery. I miss being able to reconstruct missing volumes that I couldn't download.

Reply 17 of 27, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exotic old compression systems are interesting. I recently came across the ECM format for the first time, which compressed CD images by removing error correction data. This seems to provide about 4% compression. I guess that was a big deal in the dialup days.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 18 of 27, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
Cyberdyne wrote:

You forgot LHA 😀

A friend of mine loves .JAR, but i stick with .RAR.
I'm pretty sure that Java JAR (which esssentialy are just standard zip format) are haphazardly branded without knowning the existance of aforementioned JAR format.

-fffuuu

Reply 19 of 27, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bah, only SQ/LBR is true oldskool. 😉

Anyone here who's actually used those formats? Some *really* ancient DOS BBS archives (pre-ARC) come compressed that way.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]