VOGONS

Reply 1420 of 4586, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

You can repaint it.

Wrong. Take a Dremel or grinding tool and remove that shit and then sand paper it. After that prime it and paint it. Better yet use an air sprayer.

Surface rust is a fairly easy fix. I'm surprised no one stated it before me with the massive overlap between computers and cars in this hobby.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1421 of 4586, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

You can repaint it.

Wrong. Take a Dremel or grinding tool and remove that shit and then sand paper it. After that prime it and paint it. Better yet use an air sprayer.

Surface rust is a fairly easy fix. I'm surprised no one stated it before me with the massive overlap between computers and cars in this hobby.

The issue is that unless you have another hobby that requires that kind of toolset, most people interested in computers don't even know how to use a dremel let alone a wet sandpaper.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1422 of 4586, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

rust-oleum and plasti dip. No need to remove the rust.
But it better if you do. And dont bother with a Dremel or grinder.
The sheet metal is likly to thin and yout could brun through or vaporize the zinc coating. A orbital sander would be a much better idea. Better yet just use sand paper.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-28, 16:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1423 of 4586, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

5986d8f8850dc2627900e4d941705219--true-detective-hbo-cinema-movies.jpg

So I bring you - from the depths of history - the hot sauce tip.
Re: HP NetServer 4d/66LE

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1424 of 4586, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/59/86/d8/5986d8f8850dc2627900e4d941705219--true-detective-hbo-cinema-movies.jpg […]
Show full quote

5986d8f8850dc2627900e4d941705219--true-detective-hbo-cinema-movies.jpg

So I bring you - from the depths of history - the hot sauce tip.
Re: HP NetServer 4d/66LE

Diet coke and aluminum foil also work.

Reply 1426 of 4586, by Api

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

The issue is that unless you have another hobby that requires that kind of toolset, most people interested in computers don't even know how to use a dremel let alone a wet sandpaper.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

appiah4 wrote:

most people interested in computers don't even know how to use a dremel let alone a wet sandpaper.
most people interested in computers don't even know how to use a dremel let alone a wet sandpaper.

No, I... I just can't take it. If such people exist, I hope they'll starve right now.

IntelSE440BX-2 256MB PII-300 Rage128 Voodoo2 SLI Vortex2 SB32 Win98SE
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 1GB Athlon XP2400+/XP3000+ Radeon 9600XT
FIC PT-2000 P120 Matrox Millennium 2MB Orchid Righteous 3d

Reply 1427 of 4586, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

You can repaint it.

You've read that as "You can't repair it" didn't you?

Reply 1428 of 4586, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

You can repaint it.

I'm already on it 😀 It's my afternoon project.

edit:

I sanded, dremeled and taped it off:

f69zg76l.jpg

finished:

pVAYckhl.jpg

Reply 1429 of 4586, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not today but earlier this week.

Brother called me and told me he found an old monitor and he was carrying it home. I went over to see what it was, and when I got there he said it was actually a computer, he just couldn't tell in the dark.

Quite an amazing find considering the junk that's normally around:

Amstrad PCW8256

OaqZ6C3l.jpg
cVegToAl.jpg
ngdRRcrl.jpg
5SkdbLTl.jpg

Unfortunately no OS/Software disks, keyboard or printer. But hey, it turns on - even if it is a completely useless box right now.

Reply 1430 of 4586, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My newest find it an Asus P/I-P6NP5 board which seems to work - but has an issue.

I've even tried two newer BIOS' but they didn't help, even though one of them is a 128GB-patched one. The problem is that it can't seem to be able to properly handle larger (not too big) HDDs. I have a 4.3GB WD one that has two partitions: one smaller for the DOS and utilities etc, and one larger for games/mods/demos. Now it only shows up as a one partition HDD.

First I suspected that the HDD itself may be at fault but this morning I tried a 6GB Toshiba notebook HDD, prepared with Win98 in a similar manner, and it doesn't even boot up, the computer says i can not find the OS on the drive.

But it boots fine from a 1GB Seagate drive and works better than my hopefully previous PPro board as it can stomach LFB Write Combining and sound at once which is handy for late DOS stuff like Quake... Plus it doesn't need a proprietary PSU but works from standard AT so I'd really like to keep this one. So I could dump a bigger HP board and a rather big and stupid shaped HP PSU that take up a lot of space...

If anyone has any idea to solve it or what I could overlook, I'll appreciate your help.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 1431 of 4586, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@alvaro84

personally, id just forget the onboard IDE. I would use an add-on sata card. a cheap promice brand card would just be easy. i use one in my p-pro. allows seamless use of huge fast hard drives. im currently using a 320gb drive.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1432 of 4586, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found two 775 machines, one with a Pentium D 820 and Quadro FX1300 (PCIE) and the other with a Q9450 and Quadro FX3700. Both with Intel desktop boards and identical full size cases, and full RAM slots, though not likely to the boards' maximum capacities. PSUs are FortuneTec, are they any good? Interesting that they both had Quadros, suggesting some sort of video work maybe? Guess now socket 775 is mainstream trash.

775tower.jpg
Filename
775tower.jpg
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
quadro.jpg
Filename
quadro.jpg
File size
3.08 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also picked up an as yet untested 21" LCD and a 34cm Sony TV, both in need of a clean and test

Reply 1433 of 4586, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like the cases are nice Chieftec or Antec cases with overall nice parts. The Pentium D still makes a pretty good web browser or XP game machine, while the Q9450 is just overall a solid setup. Honestly you could buy for $6 or if ya have one handy, use a 7 oem key to install and activate 10 on either of these machines with good results.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1434 of 4586, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SSTV2 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

You can repaint it.

You've read that as "You can't repair it" didn't you?

Was wondering where the wrong part of what I said was. 😉

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 1435 of 4586, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:
Found two 775 machines, one with a Pentium D 820 and Quadro FX1300 (PCIE) and the other with a Q9450 and Quadro FX3700. Both wit […]
Show full quote

Found two 775 machines, one with a Pentium D 820 and Quadro FX1300 (PCIE) and the other with a Q9450 and Quadro FX3700. Both with Intel desktop boards and identical full size cases, and full RAM slots, though not likely to the boards' maximum capacities. PSUs are FortuneTec, are they any good? Interesting that they both had Quadros, suggesting some sort of video work maybe? Guess now socket 775 is mainstream trash.

775tower.jpg
quadro.jpg

Also picked up an as yet untested 21" LCD and a 34cm Sony TV, both in need of a clean and test

FX1300 = PCX5950. Just load ID modded drivers.

That Q9450 would make a nice web browsing PC or a streaming PC or whatever. Late LGA775 is still very usable but if you're in an upper class area there common in the trash.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1436 of 4586, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:
Found two 775 machines, one with a Pentium D 820 and Quadro FX1300 (PCIE) and the other with a Q9450 and Quadro FX3700. Both wit […]
Show full quote

775tower.jpg
quadro.jpg

What are the intel board models? Intel motherboards are known for begin very reliable despite lacking some tunning options in most models like overclocking, if you don't care abut overclock, an Intel board is a solid option

About the Quadros, FX 1300 is a Quadro derivate of the Geforce PCX 5950 (PCI-E version of the FX 5950, same NV38 core used) with lower clocks and older DDR memory (same as FX 5900/PCX 5900, also clocked lower), core is underclocked by 125 mhz compared to the PCX 5950 (350 vs 475) and memory is underclocked by 150 mhz compared to the PCX 5900 (275 vs 425 mhz)

Quadro FX 3700 is a derivate of the Geforce 8800 GT (G92 core, 512 MB version) with core underclocked by 100 mhz (FX 3700 500 mhz, 8800 GT 600 mhz), Shader underclocked by 250 mhz (FX 3700 1250 mhz, 8800 GT 1500 mhz) and mem by 100 mhz (FX 3700 800 mhz , 8800 GT 900 mhz), you can try overclocking the Quadro to 8800 GT levels

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 1437 of 4586, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
What are the intel board models? Intel motherboards are known for begin very reliable despite lacking some tunning options in mo […]
Show full quote
JidaiGeki wrote:
Show full quote

775tower.jpg
quadro.jpg

What are the intel board models? Intel motherboards are known for begin very reliable despite lacking some tunning options in most models like overclocking, if you don't care abut overclock, an Intel board is a solid option

About the Quadros, FX 1300 is a Quadro derivate of the Geforce PCX 5950 (PCI-E version of the FX 5950, same NV38 core used) with lower clocks and older DDR memory (same as FX 5900/PCX 5900, also clocked lower), core is underclocked by 125 mhz compared to the PCX 5950 (350 vs 475) and memory is underclocked by 150 mhz compared to the PCX 5900 (275 vs 425 mhz)

Quadro FX 3700 is a derivate of the Geforce 8800 GT (G92 core, 512 MB version) with core underclocked by 100 mhz (FX 3700 500 mhz, 8800 GT 600 mhz), Shader underclocked by 250 mhz (FX 3700 1250 mhz, 8800 GT 1500 mhz) and mem by 100 mhz (FX 3700 800 mhz , 8800 GT 900 mhz), you can try overclocking the Quadro to 8800 GT levels

People like this that know everything are often the ones who provide me with sufficient reason to believe I should keep my mouth shut.

I knew those were based on the same cores as there geforce varients but I had no idea about the memory and clock speed differences.

Reply 1438 of 4586, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:

Not today but earlier this week.

Quite an amazing find considering the junk that's normally around:

Amstrad PCW8256

Incredibly amazing ! The first computer I ever used in my life was like that - Amstrad PCW8512 !

Reply 1439 of 4586, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
x0zm_ wrote:

Unfortunately no OS/Software disks, keyboard or printer. But hey, it turns on - even if it is a completely useless box right now.

If you need software, let me know. But you want to get a keyboard first. Also, check the drive belt. It's normally fallen apart if it has not been replaced already.