VOGONS

Reply 541 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As Roland User suggested you can also use relative paths for the ROM files (as can be seen on his picture). But make sure in this case you put the ROM files into Midiplayer4 folder, since at runtime the 'current folder' is set to this root (so the relative path is relative to midiplayer.exe and NOT to the VSTi plugin dll) .

Edit: I have reported the problem to Serg but until the official Munt fix arrives here's an updated Munt VSTi package that enables using non-Latin1 characters in ROM paths (if the actual code page is correctly set).
http://falcosoft.hu/munt_vsti.zip

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 542 of 1675, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hej, big thank you for this app Zoltan!

I'm just using it to hook DOSBox to it, for authentic 90's DOS games music. That's it. Probably using less than a percent of it's capacity 😵
I chose it over SAVIHost because of nice and pretty piano keyboard that plays along with music... I am a sucker for little things like that.
And it preserving my VSTi setting and auto-loading them every time I run it also fits my criteria. Just 1-click load and I'm all set. Big Plus
goes for self-contained no-install package as well. And you can thank Phil for me finding your killer app and this topic in the first place 😀

Would also like to thank James for his detailed config guide. Wouldn't manage to set it up properly without it.

One question for the end: have you considered built-in extra MIDI port(s) feature, so people like me could drop loopMIDI dependency?

Reply 543 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Thanks for you feedback!

One question for the end: have you considered built-in extra MIDI port(s) feature, so people like me could drop loopMIDI dependency?

I don't think it would be possible without installing some kind of driver component. You cannot create even virtual midi ports without it. And then we are in the same situation: something has to be installed beforehand. So I don't think extra built-in midi ports can/will be added.

Reply 544 of 1675, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yet again I got some feature requests. 😀

• Disable MIDI output: Nice when using "Midi player" as a bridge to "Midi via Net"
  • Selectable WAVE out device for Soundfont and VSTi playback: Nice if you want to use other output than default. Example: when connecting one sound output of your MIDI host to the sound input of your retro PC.
  • MIDI I/O via serial (COM port): "Replacement" for the "Hairless MIDI<->Serial" utility. Nice for SoftMPU serial output, FTDI serial/MIDI bridging and for external MIDI modules that support serial I/O.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 545 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

• Disable MIDI output: Nice when using "Midi player" as a bridge to "Midi via Net"
    Selectable WAVE out device for Soundfont and VSTi playback: Nice if you want to use other output than default. Example: when connecting one sound output of your MIDI

Ok, this is added as a 2 in 1 solution. In Device Setting's Bass/Vsti part there is a new control for choosing output device. The 1st entry is No sound.

MIDI I/O via serial (COM port):

I don't think it will be added in the near future.

http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_50_test.zip

Other testable features:
1. Added soundfont info to OpenFileDialog and also to File button (right click) in Device settings->soundfont selection. If it is slowing down soundfont browsing on slower PC's there is a new compatibility setting to disable this new OpenFileDialog extension.
2. Added Font/color/background color selection to Midi Text window.
3. Dialog invoking buttons are now toggle buttons.
4. On win9x disabled menu/combo/listbox animations that could cause skipping audio.

Reply 547 of 1675, by flyingsaucer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First all thanks a lot for this beautiful, wonderful and powerful midi player. I don't know if it's just been asked, could be possible add a more big virtual keyboard as a separate windows?
I would use this wonderful piece of software to learn playing piano if only I could visualize a more big window.
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Greetings Tony

Reply 548 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. Your request is unique since most people want more (one keyboard per channel) not bigger virtual piano. 😀 Currently no such extensions are planned. I think for a special case like yours a more special tool would be more appropriate. Try Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard:
http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/
You can also use it together with FSMP. Use a virtual midi cable like loopMidi and attach the midi out of VMPK to the midi in of FSMP. This way you will get basically the same solution as you want.

Reply 549 of 1675, by flyingsaucer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your answer. I'll try VMPK even if midi player with is VSTI support it's perfect to use for example 4front TruePianos, Pianissimo VSTI, etc... I know about loopmidi there will be more latency. I hope in future in a sort of possibility to attach or detach a virtual keyboard for every single channel. Dreams are dreams... 😉
Best Regards
Tony

Reply 550 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll try VMPK even if midi player with is VSTI support it's perfect to use for example 4front TruePianos, Pianissimo VSTI, etc...

As I have written you do not have to sacrifice FSMP+VSTi, you can use them together with VMPK.

I know about loopmidi there will be more latency.

Hmm... I don't think so. Have you tried and experienced increased latency because of loopmidi? Latency mostly depends on audio rendering and audio interface speeds. Virtual midi cables do not process/transfer audio signals just some bytes of simple messages. On a modern computer this should not increase latency even with a millisecond. I have already tried/used long chains of virtual cables between FSMP and different software and never noticed any latency problems.

Reply 551 of 1675, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old XCOM1 Collector's Edition (aka Gold) is native to Windows only and plays midi music. On my Win7 system is uses poor it's built-in synth.

Can I get it to play music with MidiPlayer's MT-32 emulator, but without installing yet another program?

Managed to set up MuntVsti on my own, I just don't know it how to give it music from XCOM.

Midi In box is grayed out and Midi Out's Output Port is ignored by game even when I set it to MT-32 Synth Emulator.
Instead is simply uses default Win midi synth.

Reply 552 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
You said earlier that you had already used FSMP with DosBox. You have to use the same configuration with X-COM. You only need a virtual midi cable + FSMP. The game itself seems to use always the default Midi out port so you have to change the default midi out port of Windows to the virtual cable. Unfortunately It's not so simple under Vista/7/8/10. You have to use some 3rd party tools to do this. You can try Coolsoft Midi Mapper but if you do not want to install anything you can also use portable ones (one of them is attached: simply unzip it somewhere and double click the cpl file. It works well with Win7).

Filename
PLWMidiMap.zip
File size
27.08 KiB
Downloads
131 downloads
File comment
midi mapper Vista+
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
defmidi.jpg
Filename
defmidi.jpg
File size
235.2 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Falcosoft on 2017-10-19, 08:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 553 of 1675, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, I had VMS in mind when I typed that little disclaimer. The thing is down right
annoyance-ware when I just wanted to change midi mapper. It worked but no thanks.

This small 50 KB wonder on the other hand - me likey 😀

Doesn't even require MIdiPlayer or loopMIDI in my case because it can select Munt's
driver right of the bat. I can even see its UI lit up when midi plays, like with DOSBox.

Thank you a lot for the app - it solves all my MIDI problems with native Win games 😀

Attachments

• It's working!.jpg
    Filename
    It's working!.jpg
    File size
    204.08 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 554 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
version 5.0 of FSMP together with version 1.2 of OPL3 GM VSTi are released. The test zips are no longer available.
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

OPL3 GM VSTi
version 1.2

1. Integrated Nuked OPL3 library as an alternative emulator core. You can switch between DosBox and Nuked OPL3 in real time.
Nuked OPL3 can be more precise but it requires more CPU. DosBox's engine is less CPU hungry especially in idle state.
2. Fixed Pitch Bend sensitivity problems in case of files that send NRPN (0,0) messages.

FSMP
version 5.0

1. Added Batch File Mode to record mode options. Consecutive files from the playlist are saved to the same folder with the same format you have selected in the dialog for the first file. File names will be the same as the original midi file but with wav/mp3 extension.
2. Added Bass output device selection to Device Settings together with No Sound option (can be useful in case of Midi via Net).
3. Added Soundfont info to corresponding OpenFileDialog and File buttons (right click) in Device Settings. If it slows down soundfont browsing on slower PC's there is a new compatibility setting to disable OpenFileDialog extension.
4. Added font and background color selection to Midi Text/Lyrics window.
5. Dialog invoking speedbuttons are now toggle buttons between opened and closed state.
6. Added workaround for old half-duplex soundcards that have problems using standard win32 midi port soft synths because of allocated recording sources by FSMP.
Now you can press 'Del' in Device settings dialog on the Recording Source input field to not use any.
7. On Win9x disabled menu/combo/listbox animations that could cause audio skipping.
8. Fixed multiple file opening from explorer when the player is associated with supported extensions.
9. Fixed playback of midi files with continuous tempo change messages that require floating point precision.
Test file (many players play it wrong):

Filename
TH16 - A Midsummer Fairy's Dream.zip
File size
29.1 KiB
Downloads
77 downloads
File license

Reply 555 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, but the x86 packages included wrong build of OPL3 GM VSTi 1.2 that missed the option to switch between DosBox and Nuked OPL3. Now it is fixed so please, re-download.

Reply 556 of 1675, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Falco, I love your stuff my MSDOS machine has never sounded so good.
Here is a recording I did of DOOM 1 http://downloads.kor.ninja/Music/e2m5.wav

I used the Giant Soundfont, and a soundfont I made myself using the Virtual Playing Orchestra samples. Then I piped everything through AmpliTube3 to give it that extra crunch!
I'm currently working on a YouTube tutorial very simular to what Phil's done to show the steps involved.

Here's the VPO soundfont I made, it's not a complete soundfont so you have to slap this on top of something else...
http://downloads.kor.ninja/Music/VPO2/VPO2.3-ALL.sf2
And here's a link to the Giant Soundfont (it's hard to find on google) http://giantsoundfont.npage.de/

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 557 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.

I used the Giant Soundfont, and a soundfont I made myself using the Virtual Playing Orchestra samples. Then I piped everything through AmpliTube3 to give it that extra crunch!

It sounds great.
I have also used an earlier version of Amplitube plugin. But only for guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCI1tnWb590

Here's the VPO soundfont I made, it's not a complete soundfont so you have to slap this on top of something else...

It sounds good but may I suggest that the first 2 presets (french-horn-SEC-KS-C, french-horn-SOLO-nor) should be placed somewhere to the horns/brass section instead of the pianos.
This way it would be more compatible as a GS style variation bank.

Reply 558 of 1675, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Hi, Thanks for your feedback. […]
Show full quote

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.

It sounds great.
I have also used an earlier version of Amplitube plugin. But only for guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCI1tnWb590

It sounds good but may I suggest that the first 2 presets (french-horn-SEC-KS-C, french-horn-SOLO-nor) should be placed somewhere to the horns/brass section instead of the pianos.
This way it would be more compatible as a GS style variation bank.

Amplitude 3 and 4 are still only really for guitars, I just used it on it anyways. For DOOM it works really well, it doesn't work very well for most other games.

Ha! I didn't even notice that! They're not even supposed to be there, I must have forgotten to delete them.
I'm updating the files now, the link is the same.

Are you Zoltan on Youtube? Feels funny to have the same convo twice.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 559 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you Zoltan on Youtube? Feels funny to have the same convo twice.

Yes, it's me:

mp_about.jpg
Filename
mp_about.jpg
File size
41.47 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Falcosoft on 2017-10-27, 09:20. Edited 1 time in total.