VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently acquired Heretic II and I am trying to install it on Windows 10 1703. From the directions i have found you go into the cd/bin/demo32.exe then select H2_Setup.dbd I do this and a install Heretic II window pops up. I select install and for a few moments a created by DEMOshield window pops up then nothing. In task manager it shows a 32-bit Setup Launcher running but nothing ever happens. I have tried every combination of compatibility settings i can think of and tried some of the other installers but can not get this to install at all on Windows 10.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 1 of 2, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried killing all background processes that do not belong to Windows? Can you make a list of all the background processes running on your computer so we can verify?

Edit: A quick examination of your post history reveals you have a Sound Blaster, so my main suspect would be one of the rundll32.exe processes it runs (if not, do what I wrote above).

Reply 2 of 2, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

Have you tried killing all background processes that do not belong to Windows? Can you make a list of all the background processes running on your computer so we can verify?

Edit: A quick examination of your post history reveals you have a Sound Blaster, so my main suspect would be one of the rundll32.exe processes it runs (if not, do what I wrote above).

No idea what program was conflicting but killing everything did the trick.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood