VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DukeFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody,

my friends and I are used to play good old games at our retro LAN parties.
Over the past years, we've managed to get over 200 "old games" up and running properly.

Unfortunately, there remain a few certain titles, which I've never got running via multiplayer LAN (offline LAN without any internet access!).

So after many months of researching, testing and analyzing I've couldn't find a solution to solve the issues.

Now you're our last hope for getting the LAN mode of the following games working again:

FIFA 98
Millennium Racer - Y2K Fighters
Metal Fatigue
Tony Hawks American Wasteland
Battlefield 2142 - Deluxe Edition (v1.51)
Aliens versus Predator - Gold (every time someone fires the skeeter launcher the game immediately crashes)

We have XP (of course SP3) and some Windows 7 x64 machines in use for our LAN parties.

Has someone managed to get the LAN mode for the named games running properly on a Windows XP or 7 machine?

Thank you for your interest/time. 😀

Reply 1 of 16, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With regard to AvP Gold, make sure you have had a look at sirlemonhead's page:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~duncandsl/avp/

Related discussion here at VOGONS may also be worth looking at:

Aliens vs. Predator Gold

Good luck!

Reply 3 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've looked into finding a solution to the BF2142 multiplayer LAN problem (I tried the same thing before years back) and in the end it was basically not possible without having a master server. The problem was that noone could join as we'd get some error message about there being no connection.
However, there is a 3rd party master server for which one has to download some (large) files (includes map fixes and support for coop in some multiplayer maps) and coop might work again after installing this patch. I ended up never trying as I opted to go with a modified install of BF2 instead, porting some of the content of 2142 to BF2 (even though some things like the MMs won't work as they used to in 2142, so these have another purpose) as BF2 has no such coop issues.

But coop might work again after this, please visit this website for this.

Hope this helps a bit.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 16, by DukeFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
I've looked into finding a solution to the BF2142 multiplayer LAN problem (I tried the same thing before years back) and in the […]
Show full quote

I've looked into finding a solution to the BF2142 multiplayer LAN problem (I tried the same thing before years back) and in the end it was basically not possible without having a master server. The problem was that noone could join as we'd get some error message about there being no connection.
However, there is a 3rd party master server for which one has to download some (large) files (includes map fixes and support for coop in some multiplayer maps) and coop might work again after installing this patch. I ended up never trying as I opted to go with a modified install of BF2 instead, porting some of the content of 2142 to BF2 (even though some things like the MMs won't work as they used to in 2142, so these have another purpose) as BF2 has no such coop issues.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you for your answer. 😀

We've spent a lot of time for tests with the Revive Project Installer or the "Total Installer".
Unfortunately it seems that they are only working if you're connected to the internet. Otherwise you'll get an abort error if you try to connect to a running LAN server.

Reply 5 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DukeFreeman wrote:
Thank you for your answer. :) […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
I've looked into finding a solution to the BF2142 multiplayer LAN problem (I tried the same thing before years back) and in the […]
Show full quote

Hope this helps a bit.

We've spent a lot of time for tests with the Revive Project Installer or the "Total Installer".
Unfortunately it seems that they are only working if you're connected to the internet. Otherwise you'll get an abort error if you try to connect to a running LAN server.

You should be able to do a coop match (several people along with bots) once you're connected to the internet.
You have the Deluxe version, which iirc came with Northers Strike and a newer patch.

Perhaps one of the older patches does work in coop without needing an internet connection, but I didn't like not having certain maps available and didn't feel like having to possibly do heavy editing when it seemed easier to just use BF2, along with its BF2 Editor program 😀

Well, at least you seem to have gotten coop to work with the help of the Revive Project, better then nothing! 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 16, by DukeFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
You should be able to do a coop match (several people along with bots) once you're connected to the internet. You have the Delux […]
Show full quote
DukeFreeman wrote:
Thank you for your answer. :) […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Show full quote

Hope this helps a bit.

You should be able to do a coop match (several people along with bots) once you're connected to the internet.
You have the Deluxe version, which iirc came with Northers Strike and a newer patch.

Perhaps one of the older patches does work in coop without needing an internet connection, but I didn't like not having certain maps available and didn't feel like having to possibly do heavy editing when it seemed easier to just use BF2, along with its BF2 Editor program 😀

Well, at least you seem to have gotten coop to work with the help of the Revive Project, better then nothing! 😀

Unfortunately, the v1.51 release (and so the Revive Project / Total Installer) does not work without an internet connection - due to some very disgusting copy protection/DRM (as far as I know).

Every other LAN game from our > 200 games list works without an internet connection (we don't have and we don't want internet access at our LAN parties).
E.g. Battlefield 2 works like a charm without internet in LAN mode.

I've heard that the patch version 1.25 was the last one with working LAN support.

I had a small glimmer of hope, that someone maybe has managed to find a workoround for the recent patch version.

So there only remain one solution (if I haven't overlooked something):

Try to find an old disc version of BF2142 and get the northern strike add-on from somewhere (as an installer or archive maybe?).

Reply 8 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DukeFreeman wrote:
Unfortunately, the v1.51 release (and so the Revive Project / Total Installer) does not work without an internet connection - du […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
You should be able to do a coop match (several people along with bots) once you're connected to the internet. You have the Delux […]
Show full quote
DukeFreeman wrote:

Unfortunately, the v1.51 release (and so the Revive Project / Total Installer) does not work without an internet connection - due to some very disgusting copy protection/DRM (as far as I know).

Every other LAN game from our > 200 games list works without an internet connection (we don't have and we don't want internet access at our LAN parties).

I've heard that the patch version 1.25 was the last one with working LAN support.

I had a small glimmer of hope, that someone maybe has managed to find a workoround for the recent patch version.

Try to find an old disc version of BF2142 and get the northern strike add-on from somewhere (as an installer or archive maybe?).

The Northern Strike addon I should still have as a separate archive, somewhere. Iirc it was a download of around 160MB and I should still have it (would have to do some digging here). I reckon you could perhaps find the archive online somewhere, but you'll need a code for it to work I think?
Though I reckon you could do without NS...but a problem is to get some nice COOP mods that work with this older 1.25 patch.

You will be needing separate codes for each BF2142 install as well, or you'll probably get these "CD key already in use" error.
I remember having to fuzz a lot due to the CD keys acting up in BF2142.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 16, by DukeFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

Thank you for this hot tip.
Would it be possible to use Kali without any internet access at the LAN parties?
Does Kali only support the mentioned games from the list on their website?

Reply 10 of 16, by DukeFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
DukeFreeman wrote:
The Northern Strike addon I should still have as a separate archive, somewhere. Iirc it was a download of around 160MB and I sho […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Unfortunately, the v1.51 release (and so the Revive Project / Total Installer) does not work without an internet connection - du […]
Show full quote

The Northern Strike addon I should still have as a separate archive, somewhere. Iirc it was a download of around 160MB and I should still have it (would have to do some digging here). I reckon you could perhaps find the archive online somewhere, but you'll need a code for it to work I think?
Though I reckon you could do without NS...but a problem is to get some nice COOP mods that work with this older 1.25 patch.

You will be needing separate codes for each BF2142 install as well, or you'll probably get these "CD key already in use" error.
I remember having to fuzz a lot due to the CD keys acting up in BF2142.

I've found some keys / serials at the Revice Project website (so it seems that now the game is abandonware / freeware).
So I hope we wouldn't run into problems with the shared keys.

Reply 12 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DukeFreeman wrote:

I've found some keys / serials at the Revice Project website (so it seems that now the game is abandonware / freeware).
So I hope we wouldn't run into problems with the shared keys.

I happened to register there recently (for BF2 though). Where are these keys located?
I guess it's maybe a recent thingy for 2142, since I never got any extra keys when I went and played some online maps on dethclock server a couple years ago (might've been a different project or something).

Yes, EA made these abandonware and is fully aware of this project, so it's legit 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 16, by DukeFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Davros
No problem, I'll check it out on occasion.
Thank you, that you have mentioned it.

@Tetrium
I've found them in a thread on their board (as far as I remember) and stored them in a txt-file.
If desired, I'll sent them to you by PM or post them here in the thread.

Reply 14 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DukeFreeman wrote:
@Davros No problem, I'll check it out on occasion. Thank you, that you have mentioned it. […]
Show full quote

@Davros
No problem, I'll check it out on occasion.
Thank you, that you have mentioned it.

@Tetrium
I've found them in a thread on their board (as far as I remember) and stored them in a txt-file.
If desired, I'll sent them to you by PM or post them here in the thread.

Since it was on a forum and made public, I suppose there's no harm in either way.
It might benefit someone somewhere down the road and I think most people know how volatile the internet is regarding data storage 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 16, by DukeFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here they come:
N3BB-LGLK-Q6UF-H49Y-NHRC
TACL-LTYS-8TE3-K9KQ-HRMQ
YEXF-4V3Z-K8C2-RDQU-KRU3
SYNE-V5XE-8PU7-U33R-ZVZW
T5MD-WZM5-Y7DR-X9A6-7KP6
JJE6-8CHK-WE8E-EHLH-TCTS
8JTB-BAJY-3JJS-GVLU-AZ7Z
2AJS-MY3C-38U4-SMRJ-54GZ
ZAAS-X4M5-GDTC-AR6N-LU94
ZHDV-GUEK-9ZLU-SFYW-XX68

I would be very grateful if you could check if the NS installer remains somewhere on your storage 😀

Reply 16 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DukeFreeman wrote:
Here they come: N3BB-LGLK-Q6UF-H49Y-NHRC TACL-LTYS-8TE3-K9KQ-HRMQ YEXF-4V3Z-K8C2-RDQU-KRU3 SYNE-V5XE-8PU7-U33R-ZVZW T5MD-WZM […]
Show full quote

Here they come:
N3BB-LGLK-Q6UF-H49Y-NHRC
TACL-LTYS-8TE3-K9KQ-HRMQ
YEXF-4V3Z-K8C2-RDQU-KRU3
SYNE-V5XE-8PU7-U33R-ZVZW
T5MD-WZM5-Y7DR-X9A6-7KP6
JJE6-8CHK-WE8E-EHLH-TCTS
8JTB-BAJY-3JJS-GVLU-AZ7Z
2AJS-MY3C-38U4-SMRJ-54GZ
ZAAS-X4M5-GDTC-AR6N-LU94
ZHDV-GUEK-9ZLU-SFYW-XX68

I would be very grateful if you could check if the NS installer remains somewhere on your storage 😀

Cheers 😀

I send you a private message containing a link, but the download link is private and this is why I don't put the link in this thread (will need to reupload to some public thingy when I find my login details).

This file is the original downloaded file back from Dice/EA. I did not include the total original directory structure, as it contained a few files which contained details of my old account and I think it's better to be safe then sorry.

The original directory structure looked something like this:
\EADM\cache\{ abcdefgh }\bf2142_bp1
where "abcdefgh" is a bunch of numbers (possibly my old account number or something).

Not very useful bit of information, but maybe interesting to someone 😀

Report spammers here!