VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At some point I stumbled across a method for running Dosbox under actual MSDOS, using some sort of windows 32-bit console support library.

Is that actually possible, or did I hallucinate the whole thing?

Reply 2 of 15, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

To Emu old hard ware on a new system? 😕 Or just for fun?

Anyway I have seen a *inux Live CD floating around on the net that uses DosBox as the use interface or something to that effect.

EDIT:
I have seen people install MS-DOS in dosbox
http://www.transmissionzero.co.uk/computing/i … sdos-in-dosbox/

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-10-10, 14:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're looking for HXRT. Last time I tested a couple of years ago performance was pretty much the same in DOS as it was in Windows but this was a P166 so DOSBox was slow either way.

Re: Bored? Try running Qemu inside of DosBox using HX Dos Extender and HXGui

Point would be to run games on the computer that are too fast on the host or if something about your hardware or software configuration prevented the game from running then DOSBox would work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 15, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:

and the reason for this exercise would be what?

To see if it works?

I'm curious if my AMD 5x86/133 running DOSBOX could better approximate an old 8088 system than you can normally achieve simply by disabling cache/etc.

Reply 5 of 15, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:

and the reason for this exercise would be what?

My P4 build that runs windows 98 has issues with SB16 emulation so dosbox serve the purpose of solving this issue.
Also for speed sensitive games, so my windows 98 has a "extended range" on retro gaming.

Reply 8 of 15, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not really interested in Dosbox running under pure DOS, unless I want to make any new modern computer behave like a DOS machine, by booting directly into DOS and Dosbox subsequently. But then, I could simply use the appropriate OS - Windows/Linux/OSX to do the same, by loading the respective native Dosbox build without unnecessary complications or headaches.

And I believe most computers or laptops available today are able to run Dosbox comfortably, to run any speed-sensitive games more conveniently.

BUT, just wondering... so Dosbox in pure DOS can make use of any PCI or ISA sound card or on-board sound chip to produce sound? Like in Windows? If so, how does it do that? I thought Dosbox can only do this via Windows' API. Does Dosbox probe for sound devices in pure DOS? Or it behaves like a dos game itself, by detecting the drivers loaded? How about for machines that have the original SB/SBPro or Adlib cards, which do not need to load any drivers? And how about MIDI? can it detect and direct output to an attached MT-32 too?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 9 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nothing with DOSBox was modified to make it run in DOS, only the usage of HXRT makes it work.

SB16 and MIDI support are provided by HXRT.

Last year a modified build of HXRT was provided with Intel HDA and AC97 support.

Others benefits besides added game compatibility is the usage of scalers, screenshot, video recording, emulated sound and video cards. Also of course potentially 3rd party patches so pixel perfect, saved states etc.

Just discovered today that the mouse is unusable. Cursor stuck at top upper-left. Mouse buttons work fine though.
When I adjust the sensitivity with host ctmouse,dosbox settings or game settings I can get it slower but it's still unusable. Looks like this will require some coding skills that I lack.

It may be possible to use use djpp to make a DOS native DOSBox but that's beyond me and is possibly pointless since HXRT works. Would probably be great for learning though.

Just for kicks tried out MESA3D 7.5.1 and it works! Requires 32bit color and it's slow of course.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Last year a modified build of HXRT was provided with Intel HDA and AC97 support.

This is kind of amazing, but I still question how robust the support is. Plus, as Malik said, why not use a Linux build and avoid the limitations.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrogamerguy1997 wrote:

What is HXRT? I see it mentioned in this thread a couple times.

It lets you run a limited selection of Windows programs/utilities/games in DOS.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 15, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

A quick Google search will lead to: ftp://retronn.de/dos/extender/hx/HXRT.TXT

sadly when I try to look things up, I never find what I'm looking for. Thanks though

Stiletto wrote:
retrogamerguy1997 wrote:

What is HXRT? I see it mentioned in this thread a couple times.

It lets you run a limited selection of Windows programs/utilities/games in DOS.

that seems pretty neat

Reply 15 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know about you, but I would like to see a Win32s version of DOSBox somewhen.
Even if it would be just a proof-of-concept and with some restrictions,
to fit within the limits of Windows 3.1. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//