VOGONS

Dosbox crashes on exit if ISO mounted

Topic actions

First post, by digitalmea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have folowing problem:

When I have an ISO mounted, and exit Dosbox using the exit command, it closes it's window, but it stays in the tasklist until I shut it down. The simple solution would be to unmount the drive, unfortunatly Dosbox doesn't allow ISO drives to be unmounted.

Anyone got a solution for this? Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would also like to see a general unmount command/capability in DOSBox, if one does not already exist.

Reply 2 of 20, by digitalmea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it does:
mount -u [driveletter] , unfortunatly they didn't include that feature for the ISO mounting part.

Anyone got any clue how to solve my problem?

Reply 3 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What version are you using? Have you tried a recent CVS build?

Reply 4 of 20, by digitalmea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using version 0.63. It just seems to be a problem with the ISO mounting, cause even when I only mount and then exit I have this problem, and all my other games which don't mount work work just fine.

I tried the CVS, same problem. I think we have an issue here. Any idea's for a workaround?

Reply 5 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't think of a user workaround. There's almost certianly a coding fix though...

Actually, you could try mounting the ISO with Daemon Tools or Alcohol. That would allow you to use the normal mount command inside of DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 20, by digitalmea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that does fix the problem, but it adds an extra tool, and I am working on an all in one solution. Abandonloader,Dosbox and VDMsound were easy to intergrate, but I doubt that will be the case with those 2. I guess I'll just have to wait till the code is fixed, where can I report bugs?

Reply 7 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You already reported it 😉 Our esteemed project fathers are reading this regularly.

Reply 8 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I would like a conformation of this bug. and more information. (which iso/ which os)
as It behaves fine at my place

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't replicate it. Here's the procedure I tried:

- Start recent CVS build of DOSBox (Windows XP)
- Use imgmount to mount a CDROM ISO
- Use the exit command to exit DOSBox
- Open the Task Manager

Didn't see dosbox.exe listed.

Reply 10 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had the behavior he's mentioning happen to me with various CVS builds of DosBox. You'd exit the DosBox application but the console window would stay behind. I'd have to kill the console through Task Manager. I have all the previous DosBox builds but I'm hoping it's one of the .dll dependencies. How is the console handled? I noticed that it doesn't use NTVDM.....does SDL handle that part?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, I guess he's talking about different behavior....The DosBox GUI disappearing but still loaded in memory. Sounds like the process isn't unloading which could be an OS problem.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I had this happen to me as well, and I reported it here (I think the in the Development forum).

Reply 13 of 20, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My guess is that the error lies in the sdl_sound library. Since I don't have windows, is anyone of those having this problem able to compile dosbox and disable the use of the sdl_sound?

Reply 14 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I use sdl_sound in my own builds, which could be why I don't experience it. I don't know how it could be related though - I thought sdl_sound was just for capturing DOSBox's sound output to a file.

Reply 15 of 20, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sdl_sound can decode various sound formats, it is only used for cue sheets. When the last cdrom object is deleted, the library will be removed. My guess was that it hangs there.

Reply 16 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, I see. I haven't tried mounting any ISOs with audio tracks or cue files.

Reply 17 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

my post in the Development forum:
crash on exit when disk images are mounted
It is about a crash with hard drive images.

Reply 18 of 20, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dominus: Seems what digitalmea is reporting is different in two ways:
1. The behavior seems to happen exiting via the 'exit' command in DOSBox. Digitalmea didn't report whether closing via the Windows X button also results in the problem
2. Instead of crashing, it looks like it closes but the dosbox process is still running

Reply 19 of 20, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to note: If it is compiled in, sdl_sound will acutally load even if the iso/cue does not contain audio tracks.