VOGONS

Reply 1440 of 4599, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lot of 3 ThinkPads on ebay, the listing said they were for parts and 2 of them did not turn on.

They all work, just needed some pieces like HD caddies, hard drives, power adapters and batteries. I had some leftoeuvre adapters anyways.

IBM ThinkPad T43 15" XGA, 1.83GHz 2GB RAM in very good cosmetic shape. Sold it to someone on ThinkPad forums.

Lenovo ThinkPad T60p 15" 1600x1200 (!!!) 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, plopped in a spare 80GB hard drive. Did a frankenpad swap with a 14.1" T61 4:3 and it works great. Just needs an HD caddy but I was able to put my SSD in there. Good shape

Lenovo ThinkPad T61 14.1" widescreen 1440x900 T7300 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB hard drive. Just needs a new battery. Great condition

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1441 of 4599, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
Lot of 3 ThinkPads on ebay, the listing said they were for parts and 2 of them did not turn on. […]
Show full quote

Lot of 3 ThinkPads on ebay, the listing said they were for parts and 2 of them did not turn on.

They all work, just needed some pieces like HD caddies, hard drives, power adapters and batteries. I had some leftoeuvre adapters anyways.

IBM ThinkPad T43 15" XGA, 1.83GHz 2GB RAM in very good cosmetic shape. Sold it to someone on ThinkPad forums.

Lenovo ThinkPad T60p 15" 1600x1200 (!!!) 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, plopped in a spare 80GB hard drive. Did a frankenpad swap with a 14.1" T61 4:3 and it works great. Just needs an HD caddy but I was able to put my SSD in there. Good shape

Lenovo ThinkPad T61 14.1" widescreen 1440x900 T7300 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB hard drive. Just needs a new battery. Great condition

You downgraded the rare 1600x1200 screen option T61p........

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1442 of 4599, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:

Found two 775 machines, one with a Pentium D 820 and Quadro FX1300 (PCIE) and the other with a Q9450 and Quadro FX3700. Both with Intel desktop boards and identical full size cases, and full RAM slots, though not likely to the boards' maximum capacities. PSUs are FortuneTec, are they any good? Interesting that they both had Quadros, suggesting some sort of video work maybe? Guess now socket 775 is mainstream trash.

Stop making me feel poor. 😐

Reply 1443 of 4599, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
Lot of 3 ThinkPads on ebay, the listing said they were for parts and 2 of them did not turn on. […]
Show full quote

No, it's the other way around. T61 4:3 board/cooler in a 15" T60P.
If you get one with a revised GPU and use the undervolting BIOS, it's about the best you can do as far as an IPS Thinkpad.

Reply 1444 of 4599, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rawrl wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
Show full quote

No, it's the other way around. T61 4:3 board/cooler in a 15" T60P.
If you get one with a revised GPU and use the undervolting BIOS, it's about the best you can do as far as an IPS Thinkpad.

You might put the T61p guts in a cheaper Thinkpad if they work. The T61p has the FirePro equivalent of the X1700 Mobility and that's not a card to be laughed at. It can run the Radeon drivers via device ID modding. I assume it trades blows with the Mobility 9800 Pro in my XPS but with a real 4:3 screen. Ive been after one for a while myself but everybody wants hundreds of dollars for them. If you don't use those internals for something let me know and I might be able to throw some cash/laptop parts your way for them.

I'm actually curious since now that I think about it you actually downgraded the machine graphically. The non Profit T60 has like X300 or X600 graphics.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1445 of 4599, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

Found two 775 machines, one with a Pentium D 820 and Quadro FX1300 (PCIE) and the other with a Q9450 and Quadro FX3700. Both with Intel desktop boards and identical full size cases, and full RAM slots, though not likely to the boards' maximum capacities. PSUs are FortuneTec, are they any good? Interesting that they both had Quadros, suggesting some sort of video work maybe? Guess now socket 775 is mainstream trash.

Stop making me feel poor. 😐

Sorry mate 😢 I wouldn't be chucking out 775 machines either, my newest desktop is a QX9650! A friend here on vogons found a much more awesome and newer setup on the roadside at his old place, so I'll have to visit where he lived more often! 🤣

Anyway, here's some more info about the two towers ...

2towers.jpg
Filename
2towers.jpg
File size
886.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium D 820 & Quadro FX1300 are on an Intel D945GNT board. PSU is an FSP400-60THN. Thinking of reducing the RAM and trying it out as an overkill Win98 machine? Previously did this on an Asrock 775 board with a 7800GS PCI-E, but that was unstable.

Q9450 & FX3700 are on an Intel DX48BT2, with 8GB DDR3, PSU is AX500-A with Active PFC, so could be a decent setup if it's all working. A quick read of a review of the board says it can't run 1600MHz RAM, but that's not a big problem for me. Wonder how it will go with Crossfire and a QX9770 in it (probably not a short term plan). Has a Vista Ultimate OEM key too ...

q9450.jpg
Filename
q9450.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1447 of 4599, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

You might put the T61p guts in a cheaper Thinkpad if they work. The T61p has the FirePro equivalent of the X1700 Mobility and that's not a card to be laughed at. It can run the Radeon drivers via device ID modding. I assume it trades blows with the Mobility 9800 Pro in my XPS but with a real 4:3 screen. Ive been after one for a while myself but everybody wants hundreds of dollars for them. If you don't use those internals for something let me know and I might be able to throw some cash/laptop parts your way for them.

I'm actually curious since now that I think about it you actually downgraded the machine graphically. The non Profit T60 has like X300 or X600 graphics.

You're confusing them.
The T60p, the shell, is a Socket M system. Merom only, 667FSB, 945 chipset thus a ~3GB RAM ceiling, and the FireGL. The T61, the board donor, is from the subsequent generation. It has Socket P, 800FSB, it'll take Penryns with the right BIOS, it maxes out at 8GB, and they came with Intel graphics or various flavors of G84M and G86M Quadro. The T61p is the same as the regular T61 except it had a Quadro FX 570M. There never were any 15" 4:3 T61s, hence the need for a swap.

I agree the NVS 140M might not be the most powerful GPU, but as oeuvre mentioned 4:3 T61ps are rare as hen's teeth. That and the FX570M is a furnace, even if you get one without the defect and undervolt it. The NVS is probably the better choice.

Reply 1448 of 4599, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just found one of these:

stk500_overview.jpg

Which is an Atmel STK500, a development/testing/prototyping system for Atmel AVR microcontrollers.

I guess anything you'd be able to achieve with this board is done easier with an Arduino, but if I ever feel like programming microcontrollers like it's 1999, I can. 😎

Reply 1449 of 4599, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

pwIsftC.jpg
I got this lovely Deskpro EN SFF from a friend who was about to recycle it.

This tiny computer houses a slot 1 CPU, but to save space Compaq flush mounted it. At first glance, it kind of looks like a Threadripper-sized socketed CPU with a passive heatsink on top.

It works great, and the original CD and floppy drives even sound healthy. It's 440BX based, has a 600MHz PIII, 384MB of RAM, 20GB hard drive, 4MB ATI Rage Pro Turbo built into the motherboard, and a really nice sounding integrated speaker. Far better than the speaker in my much newer Optiplex 780 USFF.

I was a little surprised to find a 4MB Rage Pro. That's extremely weak for a PIII, even in a corporate box like this. It managed to run 3DMark99, but not much else. Quake III was slow and didn't look right, probably due to the 4MB frame buffer. The i815 IGP in my slightly newer Deskpro EN SFF is much faster and, thanks to being able to allocate up to 32MB of RAM for video, can properly display Q3A, 3DMark2000, and even 3DMark01. I've always been fond of PII/PIII era Deskpros, so it's nice to have a second one around.

Bing....dun dun dun dun!
Wiiz605.jpg

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 1450 of 4599, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Vaguely hardware related, but still:

I was looking in my garage for my 30 year old Duplo toys,decided to to give 'em to my lil'nephew.

Well, i found 'em in a really vintage DEC cotton bag, God only knows where my parents got that in the early '80. Maybe my uncle, that was working for Olivetti / SGS ?? who knows

I think i'll keep the bag, still looks so nice

IMG_20171005_192714.jpg
Filename
IMG_20171005_192714.jpg
File size
135.42 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1451 of 4599, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:

I got this lovely Deskpro EN SFF from a friend who was about to recycle it.

It should also have an ESS 16xx sound chip + ISA. The PSU is pretty weak, but well built.

Reply 1452 of 4599, by aop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this while going through electronics trash at my university:
vJ3ED0hl.jpg

Full res:
https://i.imgur.com/vJ3ED0h.jpg

Too bad I don't have a CPU to test it with. The BIOS battery is most likely dead since it's one of those dreaded integrated batteries.

Reply 1453 of 4599, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aop wrote:

Too bad I don't have a CPU to test it with. The BIOS battery is most likely dead since it's one of those dreaded integrated batteries.

I like that motherboard,nice 'rescue'!
I'm wondering what's the purpose of those 4 empty plcc sockets on the right,just above the cpu socket.
I mean, on the upper right i can already see 8 chips that look like 2nd level cache (486 style) . Maybe additional cache? Or faster?

Well, the battery integrated chip is dead, and they are annoying to dremel/modify, but think positive, no leaked acid all over the motherboard!

Reply 1454 of 4599, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The PLCC sockets are intended for burst SRAM upgrades. I have a Coast module with that type of memory

Attachments

• 20171007_163654.jpg
    Filename
    20171007_163654.jpg
    File size
    79.68 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1455 of 4599, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aop wrote:

Beautiful board! My Socket 4 one is in a far worse shape. And I was happy to find any that works. These more exotic sockets are extremely rare in our scrap.

Those PLCC sockets look just like the ones on a Tseng ET6000 VGA - though I'm quite sure they aren't for video RAM, mongaccio and BastlerMike must be right.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 1457 of 4599, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cliffclaven wrote:

I recently pulled a nondescript P4 out of a dumpster and found this inside:

Was there a little breakout module in there with it?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1458 of 4599, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cliffclaven wrote:
I recently pulled a nondescript P4 out of a dumpster and found this inside: […]
Show full quote

NiYQAGgl.jpg

Instantly reminded me of a sound card I gotten a while ago, though mine has a different name, it looks very similar from what I can recall.

I written a bit about it here

Mine was inside a rig I bought at a thrift store and it came with the adapter. I never tried it out though, it was basically a "by product" 🤣

CkRtech wrote:
cliffclaven wrote:

Mine had the breakout module. I remember vividly as it had to be unscrewed to get the sound card out of the system it was in when I got it.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1459 of 4599, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CkRtech wrote:
cliffclaven wrote:

No, that was all.