VOGONS

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to run the Surface Tension demo in v0.74 (stock version that came with my Linux distro) but it crashes upon start with a segmentation fault message. I'm running this with cycles=auto 7800 limit 70% 26800 and everything else pretty much set to default. I've tried using no EMS and different video card settings (vesa_oldvbe and vesa_nolfb specifically) but to no avail. Any fix to this? Or should I try a different DOSBox version?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It works for me with default settings in 0.74 and SVN. However, it may not be obvious that the contents of the archive should be treated like a cdrom for installation and playing. The following is an example; the directory names can be changed to suit your preference. Make sure you extract the directory structure contained in the archive.

To install:

mount c c:\dos
mount d c:\stdemo -t cdrom
d:
install

To play:

mount c c:\dos
mount d c:\stdemo -t cdrom
c:
cd st
st

Reply 2 of 5, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

However, it may not be obvious that the contents of the archive should be treated like a cdrom for installation and playing.

I know that. It would not let me install if I did not mount it as a CD-ROM drive in the first place. Moreover I have also tried a different demo (a repacked version of the Internet demo available from Gametek) which does not have a CD-ROM dependency (it's available here), with absolutely the same results: a "segmentation fault" upon start.

This leads me to believe that the problem lies with my DOSBox version after all.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 4 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

precisely. Try core=normal. the 64 bit dynrec core in 0.74 isn't 100% stable if compiled with latest compilers, which might be what is happening in your case.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!