VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to sounds cards that im unsure if they have the right connector for DreamBlaster Synth S2.

One is CT3980 which http://th99.classic-computing.de/ says the interface is: Feature connector
Im unsure if that means if it would work with DreamBlaster Synth S2.

Other card is CT3180 which i cant find any information of on http://th99.classic-computing.de/ and equal sites, but i see a connector that maybe would work?

I attache pictures of both cards.

I want to use it with my compaq presario 425 so if some one would recommend the other before the other one please do so 😀

Attachments

Last edited by tabm0de on 2017-10-12, 08:06. Edited 1 time in total.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 1 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CT3980 (Sound Blaster AWE32 PnP) does have the 26-pin Wave Blaster connector, which is what you require for the DreamBlaster MIDI daughterboard to connect to.
It also does not have (for the most part) the MIDI hanging note bug, since it has the CT-1747 bus interface chip (which also has a real integrated Yamaha OPL3 synthesis chip).

The CT3180 appears to be a combo sound card & modem card (they referred to it as the "Phone Blaster") - I'm not familiar with this card but, it appears to utilise the Vibra16 chipset.
There were different models but, see if this one matches the layout of your card (CN6 is the Wave Blaster connector in this case): http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/t/C-D/53384.htm

I would recommend using the CT3980 - you can read up a bit more about the different Sound Blaster models here: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.co.za/2012/07 … 64-options.html
Just take note that the CT3980 is a (near) full length ISA card and might not fit into your PC case.

Reply 3 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:

The CT3980 (Sound Blaster AWE32 PnP) does have the 26-pin Wave Blaster connector, which is what you require for the DreamBlaster MIDI daughterboard to connect to.
It also does not have (for the most part) the MIDI hanging note bug, since it has the CT-1747 bus interface chip (which also has a real integrated Yamaha OPL3 synthesis chip).

Is this the true true? Because I have the CT2290 which also has the CT1747 but I swear to god half of Vogons tells me that it has MIDI bugs regardless. Maybe a different type of bug?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Is this the true true? Because I have the CT2290 which also has the CT1747 but I swear to god half of Vogons tells me that it has MIDI bugs regardless. Maybe a different type of bug?

This was answered in your very own thread on the subject: Does the SB16 CT2290 have the hanging note bug or not?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It does not answer the question why this card doesnt have the same issue.. different DSP versions?

Reply 6 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Read your thread and/or the wiki. There are 2 types of bugs, 1 that causes noticeable 'hanging notes', and 1 that is far less problematic and only impacts certain games.

The CT2290 - and the CT3980 apparently - doesn't have the bug that causes the annoying hanging notes.

Reply 7 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Read your thread and/or the wiki. There are 2 types of bugs, 1 that causes noticeable 'hanging notes', and 1 that is far less problematic and only impacts certain games.

The CT2290 - and the CT3980 apparently - doesn't have the bug that causes the annoying hanging notes.

But both have the Type 2 bug? Because that is what the vogons wiki says.

Reply 8 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

But both have the Type 2 bug? Because that is what the vogons wiki says.

Yes.

Apologies for making a mess of your thread OP.