VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a SB AWE64 Value and I would like to bring out its full features and potential than what I have got at the moment. Im using a boot disk to play dos games and later I will actually use dos 6.22 or another version and here is what I have in my boot disk:

Autoexec.bat:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E260 T6 - i dont know what the E260 is for can someone please explain
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S

Config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 4096 RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

I downloaded the driver from Vogons Driver library and I havnt hooked up my SC55 yet as Im trying to get internal Midi to work with the "SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0" line but im having no luck, the game Gabriel Knight 1 has the Midi option for music but no music plays. What else can be done with this card as far as can I load custom sound fonts for dos and what else does anyone suggest I try with it with an explanation of how to do it. So far I like this card I havnt needed to slow down my cache for CPU to play Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis.

Reply 1 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

E620 specifies the port address of the EMU8000 synthesis chip.
Gabriel Knight 1 uses a DOS extender (DOS4G/W) and therefore must have native support for the AWE32/AWE64 (since it's a protected mode game). Sierra did release patches for some of their later games that provided AWE32/AWE64 support.
Refer: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Pat … ardDrivers.html

However, I noticed that you don't specify Aweutil in your Autoexec.bat file.
You need to load it with the /s parameter.

For (real mode) General MIDI games, you need to load Aweutil with the /EM:GM parameter.
Make sure your default soundbank is in your SB16\SFBANK folder - it's called "SYNTHGM.SBK".
You can replace the above file with your own General MIDI soundfont (using the same file name). However, Aweutil only supports soundfont version 1 (*.sbk) under DOS.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with using the onboard samples if you have a SC-55. Just change the SET MIDI parameter to SYNTH:2 (to point to the external port) and load Aweutil with the /s parameter.
In such a case, you just specify General MIDI in your game's setup menu (no need for any patches), since you are then just routing your MIDI via the external port to the SC-55.

Reply 2 of 4, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

Gabriel Knight 1 uses a DOS extender (DOS4G/W) and therefore must have native support for the AWE32/AWE64 (since it's a protected mode game).

What does protected mode have to do with AWE64 support?

Reply 4 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The attached FAQ provides more info on the matter

Attachments

• Filename
    AWE32FAQ.TXT
    File size
    30.46 KiB
    Downloads