VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this card, and I want to use it in a 386 or 486 system. It has a clone OPL3 chip so the OPL3 is genuine. It's an ESS card so requires no TSR, is MIDI bug free and is SB Pro compatible. All is great.

med_gallery_60983_11505_555703.jpg

Now, the issue in my mind is that the ES688 chip apparently does not have MPU-401 capability and this requires a TSR. While no deal breaker for me, does anyone know how much memory this takes, and whether it's necessary for externa devices only or is needed for daughterboards as well?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would expect it's needed for both as both use the MPU-401 interface. As for size, just try loading it. I presume you'll use the Edison Gold drivers you posted a little while back?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

I would expect it's needed for both as both use the MPU-401 interface. As for size, just try loading it. I presume you'll use the Edison Gold drivers you posted a little while back?

Yep. Well, for science we go.. system build tonight. 😁

Only problem is I dont have DOS disks so the Amiga HxC Gotek will do temporary PC duties 😉

Reply 4 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Science will have to wait a while.. The build is finished but my only AT PSU appears to have died on me. It will be a eiweek or so before I can source a new one..