VOGONS

(Remove)

Topic actions

First post, by ElectroMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

‎‎‎

Last edited by ElectroMan on 2017-12-03, 14:10. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to buy all the ESS cards and the YMF-724 card. AWE64 cards aren't my thing, but you can buy it if you're interested. $35 is about what they sell for these days. The Vibra 128 is also one to buy, but only if it sells very cheaply.

There's no significant reason to pick up the CS4280 or SP-801 (presumably FM801 based) cards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You said the motherboard already has a yamaha chip. That is going to be a pretty good single solution right there.

What chipset is it? The 724 or something better?

Either way, the support in DOS and Windows is very good.

If it were me, I would use the onboard Yamaha and the AWE64.

Where are you located btw?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroMan wrote:

So I would prefer to use ESS or something else in it's place. If there is something equal or better.
From my few encounters with Pre2k's Yamahas I would say that I like the sound a lot, but SM724 (YMF740C-V) in my list is PCI - probably not the best option.

As far as PCI goes, a YMF-740/724/744/754 based card is pretty much the best for compatibility with boards that feature a PC/PCI header. The Solo-1 will be more compatible with VIA chipsets that use DDMA. Both are useful to have on hand given that they're cheap.

ElectroMan wrote:

Would you call this particular AWE64 a good card? I really wanted 64Gold, but no luck so far.

The Gold provides a bit more soundfont RAM and nicer connectors. Aside from that, the differences are minor. You can also contact Serge (@Dreamblaster) to see what a Simmconn soundfont RAM expansion card would cost if you're interested in larger soundfonts.

For me, I'd probably only grab the AWE64 if it was really cheap. I generally use an external machine to do soundfont synth, and only a few titles used that EMU chip natively, so the advantages compared to other cards are few. However, the price is in line with what this card will sell for elsewhere, so it's not a bad deal if you definitely want an AWE64.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroMan wrote:
Excerpt from MB's manual: […]
Show full quote

Excerpt from MB's manual:

The onboard audio subsystem features the Yamaha OPL YMF715, a 100-pin SQFP audio chip. It
integrates a 16-bit audio codec, OPL3 FM synthesis and its DAC, 3-D enhanced stereo controller,
and an interface for MPU-401 and a joystick.

I don't know, I just never trusted integrated solutions, plus don't want to stress the board more than required. Call me superstitious. So I would prefer to use ESS or something else in it's place. If there is something equal or better.
From my few encounters with Pre2k's Yamahas I would say that I like the sound a lot, but SM724 (YMF740C-V) in my list is PCI - probably not the best option.

Would you call this particular AWE64 a good card? I really wanted 64Gold, but no luck so far.

ATM roughly on the opposite side of the globe from you, so the post sucks even more (1.5-2.5 months for anything from abroad).

Ok, so that is one of the ISA based chipsets that is onboard. Even better for compatibility.

I wouldn't worry about stressing the board by using onboard audio. It is not going to use any more power or resources than a dedicated card... and it is already there.

The Awe64 4380 should be fine. Not really much difference between the different Value cards.

I would really try with just the onboard to begin with and then see if you actually want to get something else.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK