VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi there,

i need someone to recommend me to wire tracer fix. I'm not sure what to get, considering i need to keep in mind gauge, insulation, type of wire (nickel, copper, etc...)

You can link me to eBay listings too and i'll get an idea on what to get. I would also like to get something to fix the wire on the board. I know you can use hot glue but if someone thinks its better to use some sorte of tape adhesive i'll get that instead.

I recently got my Sound Blaster Pro 1 fixed, it had 2 leaking rubycon caps that ate through a trace that is reaponsible to carry the right channel audio signal. I fiz the trace but i want to fix it with proper wire.

TIA

Reply 3 of 7, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a picture of the problem? The sbp1 looks like a 2-layer pwb. Could you scrape the green copper coating off and and clean up the electrolyte off so it stops eating metal. Then lay a strand of wire over the copper trace and solder it down.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 7, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jepael wrote:

Kynar wire wrap wire, 0.25mm / AWG30 ?

Sounds really good! What do you recoomend, hot glue or some sort of tape adhesive to secure the wires on the board?

Reply 5 of 7, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Sounds really good! What do you recoomend, hot glue or some sort of tape adhesive to secure the wires on the board?

Extremely tiny amount of super glue to hold the wire attached to PCB near the solder joints, and for long wires it may need a small drop of glue every 1-2 cm or so.

I have found that both hot glue and two sided tape are not long term solutions and not so pretty.

It may require a special kind of hot glue, or somehow preparing the PCB so it sticks properly. Putting hot glue to cold flat smooth PCB surface makes the glue cool quite fast so the glue will break off easily.

Reply 6 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't cyanoacrylate basically melt the pcb plastic? It can get really hot when bonding at times. It's no plastic cement but I can't imagine it would be safe on PCBs? Maybe hot silicone would be much better to hold the cable in place.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cyanoacrylate wil not melt the pcb. And is safe to use. It wi leave white stainsand residue, but it is universal for that type of glue.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.