VOGONS

First post, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm curious AWE32 owners, if there is any variation in the length between different models of the awe32 WITH simm memory expansions? According to wikipedia, the awe32 is 356mm (14.xx inches). My newly acquired case measures just over 13.5" (~345mm) from the start of an isa PCB to the front of the case (I could gain over another inch if I cut out the metal housing, which I believe is for a fan, but don't really want to.

Are the later AWE32s like the 3990 any shorter? Or are they all 356mm. I'm curious if any of you have them on hand to measure, I only have a CT3600 SB32.

If they are all that big, I'll just have to pair a SB16 with a CT3600 or save my chips for a 64 value + simmconn. Not too huge of a hassle.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 4, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skitters wrote:

My ct3990 card is about 13 inches long.
I think a ct3990 will be too long for that 13.5" case.

Well 13" would fit in a 13.5 inch space 😜, that's why I'm asking for somebody to pull out a tape measure (if it's not a big hassle).

The case is 15.5" long. I'm measuring from the start of an ISA PCB to the end of the intake fan housing to get 13.5.. so anything under 13.5 would fit unmodified, if the 3990 is actually 13" then I'd buy one.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 4, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did measure it, the green plastic part, not including the metal bit on the end.
If your case is 15.5" long you might get it in there.
I had trouble with a 17" long case, but that was partly because of the placement of the hard drive cage.

Reply 4 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PCB of a Sound Blaster 32 CT3670 measures 22,9cm or 9" and is perhaps the shortest Sound Blaster with SIMM expansion and is actually based around the AWE64 (value?) chipset.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel