VOGONS

First post, by cyanpixie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I am trying to build up a retro PC to play the DOS games I used to love, based on my favorite Pentium based PC. (My friends with their 486DX4-100's thought they were better than my Pentium 90 with an ET6000 - fools 🤣 ) I have been pouring through the forums and can't find an answer to my question:

I have an CT2760 Awe32 for my machine, but it does not have any SIMM modules installed. Is it worth me getting SIMM modules off eBay for the sound card? I will be using the MUNT MT-32 and Roland VC modules on a small tablet PC (a great idea from PhilsComputerLab - awesome channel!) to provide the Midi sound. I will be adding a HardMPU when available, so the hanging note bug will be inconsequential. I wouldn't think I will be using the Midi on the card and won't be uploading soundfonts to it? Is there anything I am not thinking of and will be disadvantaged if I don't buy the modules?

Thanks!

Laying in bed last night looking at the stars I thought to myself … Where the heck has the roof gone?? 🤣

Reply 1 of 6, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're using a separate midi device you won't be missing anything at all with the awe32. You're basically just going to be using it as a sound blaster 16 (OPL3) with a separate midi device.

There are some awesome sound banks though if you ever feel like playing with the Awes midi capabilities. For pure DOS though an MT-32 or Sound Canvas is much preferred to the awe32 though IMO. Awe32 shines in windows when you can easily mess with sound banks (playing DOS games from within win9x too).

I got 32mb for mine off of amazon for I think 15-20 bucks (28 mb usable). You could get smaller amounts for less, I'm seeing $10 for 16mb from the same seller on Amazon. I absolutely love the masterpiece font if you ever do get the full 28mb..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWKZspDPjpo&t=57s DOOM E1M1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbqPheUCAyE&t=12s .. FF7 fighting midi

Just a little awe32 sales pitch for you 😎

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Only if you really want to hear some chanting in a pretty hair game's climax (said game beyond the 486 spec anyhow)

Now I must know what game this post is referring to.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would have been nice if the Aweutil utility was able to:

1. load version 2 soundfonts (*.sf2) under DOS (since there are quite a number of good quality version 2 General MIDI soundfounts out there but, not that many version 1 soundfonts),
  2. be able to work with protected mode games (not sure if this is actually possible under a DOS environment) and,
  3. use less memory

Reply 5 of 6, by cyanpixie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AWEsome, thanks guys. I decided that for the AUD$32.80 including shipping for 32mb on Amazon isn't going to break the bank. Going to get them anyway and chuck them in to complete the experience for Windows.

Laying in bed last night looking at the stars I thought to myself … Where the heck has the roof gone?? 🤣

Reply 6 of 6, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyanpixie wrote:

AWEsome, thanks guys. I decided that for the AUD$32.80 including shipping for 32mb on Amazon isn't going to break the bank. Going to get them anyway and chuck them in to complete the experience for Windows.

A fine choice! I didn't want to push it too hard on you, but you already have an Awe32, might as well play with it 😎 . Sucks the memory was that expensive though, I got my kit for ~20AUD just a few months ago from a US seller on Amazon 😢

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?