VOGONS

Reply 6920 of 27171, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

even the 300w unit is overkill. I'd check the voltages, under load, of that psu first. Anything more than 5% off, the psu goes in the trash. I've had bad power supplies kill stuff, I don't take any chances with that. Special, expensive, power supplies are worth re-capping but your average ATX? hells nah.

For me, it matters more if the PSU is relatively well constructed and complete. Warning signs like unsafe or absent input filtering, anemic pi filters, four diode treatment for the rectifier, small gauge wiring, etc are all reasons to store it in the recycle. Well maintained garbage is still garbage.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6921 of 27171, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
luckybob wrote:

even the 300w unit is overkill. I'd check the voltages, under load, of that psu first. Anything more than 5% off, the psu goes in the trash. I've had bad power supplies kill stuff, I don't take any chances with that. Special, expensive, power supplies are worth re-capping but your average ATX? hells nah.

For me, it matters more if the PSU is relatively well constructed and complete. Warning signs like unsafe or absent input filtering, anemic pi filters, four diode treatment for the rectifier, small gauge wiring, etc are all reasons to store it in the recycle. Well maintained garbage is still garbage.

That works great until things get to be of XT age and power supplies (original) are unobtanium and everyone is clawing a scratching for ANY working PSU.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 6922 of 27171, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Retro-fied my computer as much as Windows 10's crippled personalization features would allow me to. 😜

Attachments

• unknown.png
    Filename
    unknown.png
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 6923 of 27171, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

This.

And I am sure that some have thrown out an old, well-built power supply in favor of an "affordable and newer" model - that is basically a time bomb in their retro machine.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

That works great until things get to be of XT age and power supplies (original) are unobtanium and everyone is clawing a scratching for ANY working PSU.

If things get that bad, we'll just start building our own power supplies from scratch. 😁

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 6924 of 27171, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

did a quck and grtty OC of my qx9650. I have it at 4.25ghz with 8gb of OCZ ram at 1066mhz.

sould be able to hit 4.6ghz with any luck. But I'll have to wait untill I get windows insatll on the system latter this week as I been running the system from a live CD. I can't stand linux as it is but the live CD just makes it far worse.

Reply 6925 of 27171, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a Tandy CoCo 2 for ten times as much as I had paid for the one I got from Goodwill back in 2006 or so. Here's hoping it arrives in working condition. Still keeping an eye out for a cheap Atari XEGS keyboard and power supply. The latter I could build, but like most EE projects, I don't have nostalgia to motivate me.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 6926 of 27171, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally updated the BIOS on my EPoX 9NDA3J Nforce 3 Ultra Socket 939 board to the latest version after scouring the internet and discovering it at a Hungarian download site.

I bought the board back in 2005 and used it with an Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8Ghz. With the latest BIOS, however, it supports dual core CPUs up to the FX-60! So, I took my brother's old 4200+ from his dead Abit AN8-32x (that I just can't seem to fix... the solder on the caps doesn't want to melt, even with my Hakko iron set to 850F... even after pre-heating the board and removing heatsinks), installed it in the EPoX board, and its plugging away nicely! This makes me very happy, because I love maxing out old boards. This will be a nice companion for the BFG 6800GT AGP I bought last year for $20 (identical to the card I used in this board at the time).

Because the BIOS update for this board is so hard to find, I will attach it to this post.

Filename
da3j6502.zip
File size
301.72 KiB
Downloads
59 downloads
File comment
EPox 9NDA3J 6502 BIOS... latest version, supports up to Athlon 64 FX 60 Dual Core
File license

Also, just for nostalgia's sake, I'll upload a picture of my system when I originally got this EPoX board in May of 2005, as well as the overclock I achieved with the 3000+ single core:

newcomp 001.jpg
Filename
newcomp 001.jpg
File size
75.54 KiB
Views
File license
cpuOC1.jpg
Filename
cpuOC1.jpg
File size
57.79 KiB
Views
File license

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6927 of 27171, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was trying to figure out last night why the new diskettes I got didn't get recognized in my HD 1.44MB floppy drives, tried to format a diskette, and it came back with a Track 0 Bad error. It also would've helped if the moron that was trying to format the floppies would see if it's a High Density (1.44MB) or Double Density (720KB) diskette, and they're all DD diskettes. Oh, well. At least I made a boot diskette (will only recognize FAT16 fixed disks, not FAT32 since it was formatted on my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus running MS-DOS 6.22), drivers diskettes for my sound card (Windows 3.X) with the utilities (MS-DOS) to test the card, and copied the config.sys and autoexec.bat files onto a floppy so that way I don't have to manually input the appropriate parameters.

The next thing would be to share the CF card to my other computers so that way I can back up the files listed on there, put the 428.1MB HDD back in as the Master, and CF card as the slave, re-format the drives, copy the backup onto the CF card, and install MS-DOS 6.0, then upgrade to 6.22, install Windows for Workgroups 3.11, all the drivers, and I'm done.

Drive C --> MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Drive D --> Games and stuff
Drive E --> CD-ROM drive

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6928 of 27171, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CkRtech wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:
Tested the PSU Voltage on my C64: […]
Show full quote

Tested the PSU Voltage on my C64:

5V DC: 5.07V (passed)
9V AC: 0.63V (failed)

Looks like a rebuild is in order (cheaper than buying a we one).

Hey - share your rebuild details if you proceed, would you?

Found a forum that has the necessary parts you need, plus the building process (YouTube videos): Commodore C64 "Re-Brick" Power Supply. The third page has the parts you need, plus the videos on YouTube as well.

PSU Diagram:

diagram.jpg
Filename
diagram.jpg
File size
69.4 KiB
Views
File comment
Wiring Diagram
File license

Schematic: PSU Schematic

Reply 6929 of 27171, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Another option is to keep it simple and combine a couple of power bricks - I've been using this bad boy for a couple of years now with no ill effects:

Commodore 64 revival (warning, wall of pics)

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6930 of 27171, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Another option is to keep it simple and combine a couple of power bricks - I've been using this bad boy for a couple of years now with no ill effects:

I don't have any 5V DC bricks or 9V AC bricks, except for a universal brick that supports 3V, 6V, 9V and 12V, but that's going to be used on a radio project I'm going to be doing.

Correction: I have 2 5V DC bricks, but only rated for 1 Amp. The 5V DC line requires 1.5A, but safety must be provided if the 5V line overloads.

Reply 6932 of 27171, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Jost got vista installed on my c2 setup.
Saidly the boards raid 10 support was limited to 4 disks. So I went with raid 0. 6 raptors in raid 0 sould be fast.
But ill need to get a usb hdd or something to image the system.

Reply 6933 of 27171, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Slightly more elaborate (but still pretty simple) in the same vein. Get a couple of these guys:
https://www.banggood.com/XL4015-5A-DC-DC-Step … ml?rmmds=search

Dial one in to 9V, the other to 5V, feed it through a fuse to the inputs with a 12 or 18 volt wall wart good for 50W or so.

Reply 6935 of 27171, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep the whole C64 PSU thing gets Commodore nerds all worked up - many a thread on the subject has ended in a flame war. In saying that tho, many an original Commodore PSU has gone up in flames, so it's worth persisting and coming up with something that works for you.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6936 of 27171, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Yep the whole C64 PSU thing gets Commodore nerds all worked up - many a thread on the subject has ended in a flame war. In saying that tho, many an original Commodore PSU has gone up in flames, so it's worth persisting and coming up with something that works for you.

I haven't powered up my C64 in... 8? years. (!) I wasn't aware of the psu issue at that time. I made a note a few years back to address the psu prior to firing it up again, and I just haven't gotten around to giving it top electronics priority.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 6937 of 27171, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Diabolically evil.

Attachments

• 20171017_094630.jpg
    Filename
    20171017_094630.jpg
    File size
    416.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6939 of 27171, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

nice idea, but the 9v is AC.

Oh. I didn't expect that. Low voltage inverters are much harder to find, unfortunately.