Common searches

Win7 system will not activate.

Topic actions

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Hopefully someone that knows the windows 7 activation system better them me can help me here.

I had a system 2 weeks back at work that took a dump, the filesystem on the hdd failed beyond repair.I believe it was running a disk check when the power went out and that site does not have a UPS but I'm not quite sure.

Windows 7 was reinstalled with the provided recovery cd that shipped with the HP system, that system was also put back in use and at this point reinstalling windows is not a option. The system is a hp EltleOne 800 AIO.

System properties says the windows activation is not available.
slmgr -rearm gives a odd error "on a computer running Microsoft non-core edition run slui.exe 0x2a0x00009c to display the error text"
running slui.exe 0x2a0x00009c outputs an unknown error.
AV scan found nothing.
I ran a sfc and it stated that not everything could be fixed, see CBS log file attachment.
I also attached a mgadiag report.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply 2 of 29, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:

This is with the HP OEM/SLIC license?

Should be. The license key that was on the sticker on the back of the system was used, The windows reinstall disk that came with the system was used to install windows.

Reply 4 of 29, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:

What if you try to reactivate with "SLUI.EXE 3"?

I tried that but nothing seemed to happen. No output, no error, no nothing.

Reply 5 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may have to use a Retail install disc and the key on the computer sticker to make it work.

OEMs do strange things sometimes.

Sounds to me like the recovery DVD was messed up or was a bad image to begin with.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 29, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

oddly I was only asked for the key when installing windows. I can't pull up the activation window at all.
Oddly the recovery disk was just a win7 pro x64 disk and not a system image.

I believe this was a system that came with win8 and was downgraded to 7. I don't have all the records in front of me right now.

Reply 9 of 29, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yeah, I think from now on I going to require every system to be imaged before they get put in use. We do that for some systems but not everything.

I found this guide that fixed the problem somewhat.
https://superuser.com/questions/539714/window … -oem-activation
I no longer get the "windows activation is not available." in System properties

But I cant install updates still. I think I come back to this system latter on now that the end user can use it. Its walled in so updates are not all the critical.

Reply 10 of 29, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroMan wrote:

I would just reinstall from some sha1 verified copy of SP1 image, your key should still work with it. Could save you some time trying to troubleshoot.

Based on your description, a lot could have gone wrong during all these downgrades etc. Come on, it's not like you having this problem with FreeBSD, give Windows some slack 🤣.

This. I have a remastered x86/x64 universal disk which I use for all installs.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 29, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yeah. Our more critical systems are imaged regularly and have base system images. But are lesser important systems aren't. I think now i have a good excuse to have everything imaged.

Reply 12 of 29, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure you already checked, but just to eliminate the obvious, the PC is online, is it not? I ask because it is not a system image and may be missing NIC drivers.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 14 of 29, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I said, just eliminating the obvious. So the activation program just does not start?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 17 of 29, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
collector wrote:

Is there a "Change product key" link in the System properties dialog?

There was, but after I put the system online it went away oddly.