Story behind your avatar?

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 252, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Time for something new.

Its alessa, if you don't already know who she is it might be best if you did not.
But I need too clean up the gif and reverse it at the end.

EDIT:
maybe its abit to dark for this site?

Reply 201 of 252, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
Time for something new. […]
Show full quote

Time for something new.

Its alessa, if you don't already know who she is it might be best if you did not.
But I need too clean up the gif and reverse it at the end.

EDIT:
maybe its abit to dark for this site?

Why not Alma? 😕

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 202 of 252, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My avatar is simply the icon of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (the one that appears when you boot up the NDS with the game on it)

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 205 of 252, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's the Cobra Mk III from Elite, although I prefer Elite Plus on the PC, also return to Frontier Elite II and FFE a lot, it's like crack I tell you.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 206 of 252, by eoredson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mine is Bill D. Cat

Links to my MUD

Dndbbs executables
http://www.filegate.net/pdn/pdnbasic/DND50A2E.ZIP

Dndbbs source
http://www.filegate.net/pdn/pdnbasic/DND50A2S.ZIP

Dndbbs upgrade (10/15/2019)
http://www.filegate.net/pdn/pdnbasic/DND50A2U.ZIP

Reply 207 of 252, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine is Edgar Allan Poe in the "Hark A Vagrant" panel where he is reading fan mail from Jules Verne.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=213

I just love that comic to death, because of it's absurdity, Verne's childish enthusiasm and Poe's annoyance. Also it does look somewhat like me. My coworker saw the pic because it's in my Whatsapp profile and was suprised when I told her it was, in fact, not a doodle of me 🤣

Reply 208 of 252, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had mine for close to a year now.

The story behind it is because I have a Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus that I upgraded from an SX2-50 to a DX2-66. I use this avatar in other sites, like VCFed, Amibay, YouTube, Twitter, and other stuff, under the username retro-pc_user since I like working on and using retro systems for playing games that were meant to be played on those systems.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 209 of 252, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another thread I missed.

My current avatar is an AOpen heatsink on a AX6BC board. I used to sell a lot of AOpen products back in the day. I guess I became a bit of a fanboy.

Reply 211 of 252, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my 26th birthday in 2018, I commissioned a nice artist by the name of Ratte to draw me a more proper avatar for me to use everywhere. The picture on VOGONS is a "web-safe colour" variant with a ordered dither method applied to it.

It's actually based on one of the background images in X-COM: UFO Defence.
320px-BACK02SCR.png

Here's a more detailed look of it:

kynikosratte.png
Filename
kynikosratte.png
File size
201.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 213 of 252, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StSam wrote:

A missing unfinished special item from Eye of the Beholder

I guess you hacked around to find that?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 214 of 252, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My avatar is, of course, from C&C Generals. I started off playing on PCs in the 90s. But in 2001 to 2005 (at high school, basically) I did all my gaming on my PS2 and only used the family PC for MSN Messenger... except for C&C Generals. I loved building swarms of Overlord tanks. Especially with the expansion, I could have swarms of self healing, gattling gun (for air and infantry protection) tanks and could steamroller over most things in the game. I didn't think / know they were OP, I just thought I was great at CNC 🤣

I had a great time with just me against 7 medium difficulty enemies, which would be split between 2 teams (4v3v1).

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 216 of 252, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My current avatar is from an ad from one of the original online multiplayer services, Genie. This ad graced the pages of Computer Gaming World in the early 1990s, when I was in my early 20s and deep into PC gaming. I thought the guy looked like a clueless1, the rest is history. Incidentally, I kind of regret my username choice, but I'm too far in to worry about it anymore. I've felt over the years here that people may not take my help very seriously or think I don't know what I'm talking about. But the real reason for the name choice was that when I got back into retro computing, after years away from old hardware and games, the amount of information was overwhelming to my nostalgic mind, and in the moment I created my account here, I felt clueless. 😀

genie_large.jpg
Filename
genie_large.jpg
File size
167.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 219 of 252, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

My current avatar is from an ad from one of the original online multiplayer services, Genie. This ad graced the pages of Computer Gaming World in the early 1990s, when I was in my early 20s and deep into PC gaming. I thought the guy looked like a clueless1, the rest is history. Incidentally, I kind of regret my username choice, but I'm too far in to worry about it anymore. I've felt over the years here that people may not take my help very seriously or think I don't know what I'm talking about. But the real reason for the name choice was that when I got back into retro computing, after years away from old hardware and games, the amount of information was overwhelming to my nostalgic mind, and in the moment I created my account here, I felt clueless. 😀

Whaaaahhht? GEnie had graphical games? Mind blown. What I remember was a text based dialup service. When I bought a 14.4k modem, there was a coupon to try out GEnie. I connected to it and remember they wanted my credit card info even to even use the free hours on the coupon. NO CARRIER

Your username is just fine. I like the irony in it.

My eyesight is going. Why did I think that was Bill Murray?