VOGONS

First post, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old windows 3.1 compatible laptop that I can't seem to find the cardbus/pcmcia driver for it. I know its windows 3.1 compatible but it did originally did come with windows 9x, So I have them drivers for it, but not windows 3.1. The device uses a Ricoh cardbus controller, and the windows 9x driver says it's compatible with these devices :

RL5C476 (Dual Slot)
RC/RL/RT5C475 (Single Slot)
RL/RB5C478 (Dual Slot)
RL5C466 (Dual Slot)
RL5C465 (Single Slot)

and I know mine is a single slot version, and the model of the controller on the laptop is RL5C475A

In the documentation for it , it does say it is windows 3.1 compatible, but just can't find the drivers for the ricoh controller, since it only has drivers for the OS it came with. If anyone can help that would be great.

Reply 1 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From what I am finding, you need the PCCARD DOS services for it and Windows 3.1 should just work with it. Of course you will have to have the Windows 3.1 drivers for whatever card you are going to use.

What is the brand/model of the laptop?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

From what I am finding, you need the PCCARD DOS services for it and Windows 3.1 should just work with it. Of course you will have to have the Windows 3.1 drivers for whatever card you are going to use.

What is the brand/model of the laptop?

The laptop basically has no brand or model, many different computer companies branded the laptop as many names, its one of those taiwanese no brand laptops, that companies will brand, its made by a company called uniwill, and its model number is 280m, companies who have branded it have named it NEC ready 120lt, systemax 280m, and also as well the uniwill 280m, and you can basically find nothing about it. I was doing a little bit of googling, and I have come up with that most pcmcia slots work with a generic driver for DOS or windows 3x , I use to have an older IBM thinkpad at one point, I remember it used a systemsoft driver for DOS / windows 3.x , which I googled it's a generic driver. If this is true, I don't know what driver to use or anything.

Reply 3 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try SystemSoft Cardsoft 3.1.

It is no longer supported, but should work with your controller as it was the pretty much universal software for those old laptops.

Look for Cardsoft.zip here (link goes to driverguide.com)
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networ … _-_Introduction

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 39, by IsoMacintosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope OP won't mind if i borrow this thread since i have a similar question.

cyclone3d wrote:

Try SystemSoft Cardsoft 3.1.

Any idea if this would allow me to use a pcmcia to pci card with a Ricoh R5C485 chipset on dos?

Reply 6 of 39, by IsoMacintosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ended up ordering an pci card with Ricoh R5C475 instead since i guess older chipset is better chances for dos compatibility.
As for OP the thinkpad pc card driver could be worth a shot since those used ricoh chipsets also.
https://support.lenovo.com/fi/en/downloads/migr-4kk4xu

Reply 7 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IsoMacintosh wrote:

Ended up ordering an pci card with Ricoh R5C475 instead since i guess older chipset is better chances for dos compatibility.
As for OP the thinkpad pc card driver could be worth a shot since those used ricoh chipsets also.

yes if it's on PCI, it should work, since most PCMCIA card slots are on a PCI bus on the laptop anyway, and most generic drivers drivers like the systemsoft cardsoft should work, and that card that you got , is a version that I have in the laptop that I am talking about. I suspect if the Ricoh pcmcia works with windows 9x, it should work with DOS and Windows 3.1x

you might be interested in this link, that shows exactly what PCMCIA controller are in IBM thinkpad models, the models that use Ricoh seem to be older versions of the hardware. http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/caba.htm

Reply 8 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

I have two versions of the Phoenix Card Manager, which supports various Ricoh chips. No idea if it supports the R5C485 as well.

You should somehow get me download for that, and see if that will work or not, But I still need to find me a pcmcia card yet still.

Reply 11 of 39, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MichaelWeaser wrote:
IsoMacintosh wrote:

yes if it's on PCI, it should work, since most PCMCIA card slots are on a PCI bus on the laptop anyway, and most generic drivers drivers like the systemsoft cardsoft should work, and that card that you got , is a version that I have in the laptop that I am talking about. I suspect if the Ricoh pcmcia works with windows 9x, it should work with DOS and Windows 3.1x

you might be interested in this link, that shows exactly what PCMCIA controller are in IBM thinkpad models, the models that use Ricoh seem to be older versions of the hardware. http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/caba.htm

Apparently, some older PCMCIA cards won't work properly in PCI-based PCMCIA-adapter cards due to an issue with DMA assignment. Furthermore, some modern PCMCIA PCI cards use slimmed down chipsets that do not support all kinds of PCMCIA cards (i.e. they are limited to LAN and modem PCMCIA cards).

Reply 12 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just FYI if you do get PCMCIA working under MS-DOS the drivers will eat up your conventional and mine don't like being loaded high so it'd be advised to just load them only when you need them

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13 of 39, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on the cards you want to use. At least the Phoenix Card Manager will only install what you need. E.g. you don't need to load support for Flash filesystem support if all you want to use is a modem or network card. Of course, if you load everything, you can say goodbye to 200 kb.

Reply 14 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Depends on the cards you want to use. At least the Phoenix Card Manager will only install what you need. E.g. you don't need to load support for Flash filesystem support if all you want to use is a modem or network card. Of course, if you load everything, you can say goodbye to 200 kb.

Did you send me the software yet? I did send you the private message with my email so you can send me that.

Reply 16 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Yes, I did yesterday.

I checked my email, didn't get it somehow , my email is simply my user name, and than @gmail.com, If its not working, maybe send the file to me through a private message on here???

Reply 17 of 39, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could be in your spam... and yeah, don't install the flash/ATA drivers but for me I still ended up with around 510-525kb conventional

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 18 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Could be in your spam... and yeah, don't install the flash/ATA drivers but for me I still ended up with around 510-525kb conventional

Yes, I checked everything , its not there, and Yes I kept on checking my email, and even the spam folder .