VOGONS

Reply 6941 of 27170, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been working on a modded driver pack and EEPROM map for the Compaq/STB Ultrasound 32 Pro.

Quite a few fixes as well as additional compatibility with regular Gravis Ultrasound PnP software.

After doing some more testing, I will be posting it in my thread about the card.

I really want to know exactly what kind of QA testing they did before releasing drivers/software updates back in the day. There are some pretty glaring bugs in the installer as well as the order in which things were installed as in completely broken if you want to get everything installed in one go.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-10-17, 15:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6942 of 27170, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
oeuvre wrote:

Diabolically evil.

Nice.
Its amazing how ThinkPad's can swap out motherboards and keyboards. Or is that the new retro ThinkPad that came out?

EDIT:
Or did you get smart on us and just put a screen shot image in full screen?

Last night I tested my 6 raptor in raid 0
file.php?id=39376&mode=view
Not to bad seeing that the system is down clocked for now.

Reply 6943 of 27170, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
Nice. Its amazing how ThinkPad's can swap out motherboards and keyboards. Or is that the new retro ThinkPad that came out? […]
Show full quote
oeuvre wrote:

Diabolically evil.

Nice.
Its amazing how ThinkPad's can swap out motherboards and keyboards. Or is that the new retro ThinkPad that came out?

EDIT:

Screenshot. 😁

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6945 of 27170, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bidding on a Socket 370 motherboard bundle on eBay that has the following:

Motherboard: Shuttle Spacewalker AV18 V3 (VIA Apollo Pro 133A) ATX
512MB SD-RAM (1.5GB maximum, unlike Intel Chipsets that support up to 512MB)
VIA C3 700MHz CPU <-- Going to upgrade to a Pentium III 933 SL52Q with a new Heatsink with a fan
VisionTek NV996.0 AGP Rev. B (nVidia Riva TNT2 clone) 32MB
D-Link DFE-530TX+ Rev. D2 FastEthernet PCI
Integrated Sound + GamePort/MIDI (RealTek/VIA AC'97) <-- Going to disable since it's probably not Sound Blaster compatible (I'll be amazed if it is, but, wonders never cease).
2x RS-232 ports and a Parallel Port
PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse ports
USB 1.1

I have a couple of ATX cases the system is going to use, and the ports will line up nicely with the I/O shield, however, I have to cover the Ethernet port since the board doesn't have integrated Ethernet.

The reason why is because my K6-2 machine isn't up to the challenge for H&L games, and some of the games run too slow.

Edit: I won the motherboard bundle! Yay!

Edit 2: looked at the back end of the cases I got and both of them have the Ethernet port covered if the board only has USB ports.

Edit 3: Typed in the wrong specs of the video card.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2017-10-18, 19:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6946 of 27170, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Working on dual booting MS-DOS 6.22 + Windows 98SE (so I can have WfW 3.11 as well) on my ThinkPad 770. Coming together nicely so far

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6947 of 27170, by aop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a 200W Seasonic ATX PSU from the trash. The fan had died and all the secondary side caps were fried. I replaced the fan and the caps but I haven't tested the PSU yet. If it works I'll put a resistor in series with the new fan since it's pretty loud (12V 0.30A Adda, the stock fan was 12V 0.19A Yate-Loon). The PSU starts up fine now but I need to test it with some load and see how much ripple there is with an oscilloscope before I connect it to any retro PC.

Reply 6949 of 27170, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Moved the hard drive, floppy drive, CD drives, and the network card to my Socket 370 build I did last night, but the nVidia Riva TnT2 m64 16MB AGP 2x has the horizontal grey line issue, so I installed the GeForce4 MX 4000 as a temporary until I figure out what's going on with the card. Maybe the solder joints need to get reflowed or the GPU processor itself? The card still displays a picture, just the text is causing the horizontal grey line.

I still have the Socket 7 system (that'll be for MS-DOS games, and the VooDoo3 card is going to stay in place).

Reply 6950 of 27170, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Moved the hard drive, floppy drive, CD drives, and the network card to my Socket 370 build I did last night, but the nVidia Riva TnT2 m64 16MB AGP 2x has the horizontal grey line issue, so I installed the GeForce4 MX 4000 as a temporary until I figure out what's going on with the card. Maybe the solder joints need to get reflowed or the GPU processor itself? The card still displays a picture, just the text is causing the horizontal grey line.

I still have the Socket 7 system (that'll be for MS-DOS games, and the VooDoo3 card is going to stay in place).

Interesting. Only text mode or do you mean text in a graphics mode? I had an issue with an AGP 6200. I had digital snow all over my screen only in text mode. Ended up being a bad PSU. It was pumping out too much voltage of all things. After new PSU was installed no issues with that 6200 anymore.

Reply 6951 of 27170, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
oeuvre wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
Nice. Its amazing how ThinkPad's can swap out motherboards and keyboards. Or is that the new retro ThinkPad that came out? […]
Show full quote
oeuvre wrote:

Diabolically evil.

Nice.

EDIT:

Screenshot. 😁

Can you not see the image?

Reply 6952 of 27170, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Interesting. Only text mode or do you mean text in a graphics mode? I had an issue with an AGP 6200. I had digital snow all over my screen only in text mode. Ended up being a bad PSU. It was pumping out too much voltage of all things. After new PSU was installed no issues with that 6200 anymore.

When it's booting into Windows, but plain DOS works without issues. Maybe my 520W PSU is starting to go.

Reply 6954 of 27170, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The SATA to IDE adapter for my Pentium 3 has arrived some days ago. Now the only thing I am waiting for is the second Western Digital Velociraptor I will use with the adapter for the OS.

I also cleaned the old Crystal monitor with a can of compressed air and I let it dry with an hair dryer. The trick worked well, now there's way less dust inside than before, even though it's still dusty, especially around the coil.

Someday I might take it to someone who can check it out for cold solderings and so on, in order to keep the old Ms. Crystal healthy, as I don't know how what is "her" real condition inside. Good thing she's alive and kicking with us. 😉

Last edited by looking4awayout on 2017-10-21, 21:28. Edited 1 time in total.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 6956 of 27170, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OldCat wrote:

Prince of Persia on plasma - CGA vs EGA vs VGA

20171021_203215.jpg

Nice, I dig those old clamshells/man size laptops.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6957 of 27170, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm getting the BSOD in Windows 98SE since I want to use the Sound Blaster compatible drivers in Windows.

DOS does detect the card, but the volume is too low.

20171021_205558.jpg
Filename
20171021_205558.jpg
File size
2.45 MiB
Views
File comment
BSOD
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I already know it's the drivers, but, the other driver does work without issues.

Reply 6958 of 27170, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this a new thing then, reliving your favourite BSODs from the past??? 😁

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6959 of 27170, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed FreeBSD 3.5.1 and BeOS 5 on my K6-2+. Ive was a FreeBSD user since it was a patchset on 386bsd.

Also used to run + develop for BeOS ye-long time ago. I had 3/4/5. Figured I'd take a look at Be5 on my K6 before upgrading it to a Haiku nightly.

aah memories! 🤣

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--