Rank Member
Rank

Hey!

Just finished building a Slot 1 PC:

- Gateway 443bx mobo

- 250w ATX PSU

- 2x 64mb PC100 SDRAM

- IBM 38mdsp2780

- 20gb QF HDD (Tried 4gb Fujitsu HDD, same issue)

- 54x PATA CD drive

- Pentium Katmai

- ATI Radeon 64mb DR VIVO

- Random XTEK case from 2001

When I boot up the PC, BIOS detects the HDD and the CD drive, POSTs, and then nothing happens. Anyone know what's happening?

Reply 1 of 13, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
harddrivespin wrote:
Hey! […]
Show full quote

Hey!

Just finished building a Slot 1 PC:

- Gateway 443bx mobo

- 250w ATX PSU

- 2x 64mb PC100 SDRAM

- IBM 38mdsp2780

- 20gb QF HDD (Tried 4gb Fujitsu HDD, same issue)

- 54x PATA CD drive

- Pentium Katmai

- ATI Radeon 64mb DR VIVO

- Random XTEK case from 2001

When I boot up the PC, BIOS detects the HDD and the CD drive, POSTs, and then nothing happens. Anyone know what's happening?

Do you have a bootable partition on the primary HDD? Have you tried booting from the ODD with a Windows OS cd in the ODD? Can you boot from the floppy drive using a boot disk? What error mssages are you seeing on screen? Do you get any error beeps?

If the truth hurts, tough shit.

Reply 2 of 13, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No, because I lack writable floppies.

4. None.

5. Nope.

Also, this PC did boot from HDD when the CD drive wasn't plugged in at all, and the same problem continues to occur if the CD drive is primary master and the HDD is secondary.

Reply 3 of 13, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
harddrivespin wrote:
1. Yes […]
Show full quote

1. Yes

2. Yes

4. None.

5. Nope.

Also, this PC did boot from HDD when the CD drive wasn't plugged in at all, and the same problem continues to occur if the CD drive is primary master and the HDD is secondary.

Try a different CD drive (older one). I had boot problems on my PII system with a circa-2005-era Samsung DVD drive that were only fixed after removing the drive.

Reply 5 of 13, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
harddrivespin wrote:
1. Yes […]
Show full quote

1. Yes

2. Yes

4. None.

5. Nope.

My suggested config above was if you have two 40 pin EIDE cables available. If only one cable then HDD goes on the end of cable with jumpers set to Master and the ODD on the middle of the cable with jumpers set to Slave.

Reply 7 of 13, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
harddrivespin wrote:
1. Yes […]
Show full quote

1. Yes

2. Yes

4. None.

5. Nope.

Set your drive detection in your bios to Auto for both IDE channels. The HDD will not boot on any other config other than Primary IDE and detected as Master device on the cable.

Reply 8 of 13, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
harddrivespin wrote:
1. Yes […]
Show full quote

1. Yes

2. Yes

4. None.

5. Nope.

If the issue still persists after using my suggested drive configs then try a slower and older ODD preferably not a DVD burner.

Reply 9 of 13, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TOBOR wrote:

Set your drive detection in your bios to Auto for both IDE channels. The HDD will not boot on any other config other than Primary IDE and detected as Master device on the cable.

Depending on the motherboard, booting from a different HDD than primary master is sometimes possible through BIOS configuration options. My SS7 and P4 systems certainly can do it 😀

Also already suggested trying a different optical drive...

Reply 10 of 13, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
TOBOR wrote:

Depending on the motherboard, booting from a different HDD than primary master is sometimes possible through BIOS configuration options. My SS7 and P4 systems certainly can do it 😀

Also already suggested trying a different optical drive...

Not on Intel Altered Assembly motherboards.

Reply 11 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Koltoroc wrote:

It is worth a shot to replace the cmos battery. My k6 system does the same with an empty cmos battery

Yah there is a few boards out there with real bastard behaviour with dud batteries, like appearing completely dead, or flashing the GPU splash then nothing.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 13, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, some progress was made but due to side of an IDE port being damaged and scratching the mobo in a bad place both IDE ports kerplunkled. + the mobo I was using was a Gateway OEM mobo.

I now use a Cyrix 6x86MX custom PC with XP for all my retro gaming needs.