VOGONS

First post, by Dubinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

I have that nice Yamaga DB50XG Midi Module. Its complete Dead ... I become that for free and the Owner says, it plays then the Sound was there then nothing then there, then dead ...

Looks for me for a Wiggle Contact Problem on the Board. So i checked first all Tantals on the Board. Theyre not shorted out and i found something that looks like two Voltage Regulators. They also Vin Vout not "shorted".

So i need a little help. Perhaps one had the same Problem? Could be the DAC or RAM or something?

First i reflow now all ICs with Flux and Hot Air. Thats the first step, also the Midi Header Waveblaster Port.

IMG_20171021_134056965~2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20171021_134056965~2.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Greetings

Reply 1 of 7, by Dubinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So,

Connector and all ICs now with Flux reflowed. Test under MEGAMID.EXE shows no Sound at all.

The ICs become warm, the H8 CPU and the other ICs are warm too, like the ROMs and the RAMs, but ...

The XQ036A0 become Hot. The Fingermeter shows at 4-5 Second: It Hurt...

Must test the Card with a GM Game but i think something is wrong there with that IC who controls the Sound ROMs or that Temperature is normal...

Or its working now and Megamid.exe fools me.

Lets Test...

Reply 2 of 7, by Dubinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So,

Bad News:

The DB50XG Plays no Sound on my SB16 and that Sound Processor IC becomes Hot...

My Aztech Wave Power with Ensoniq Otto runs fine but that Card has no All Notes Off Program so under Pure DOS useless.

So its your Turn here 😀 Is that a common Fault on the Yamaha? When that IC is gone has someone an IC for me so i can swap this IC out or, ...

I have another Problem on that Yamaha.

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dubinius wrote:

[...]
The XQ036A0 become Hot. The Fingermeter shows at 4-5 Second: It Hurt...
[...]

so this IC is dead - unless you replace it there is no point in trying with more soundcards and risk damaging them or the host system 😢

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also sell it as defective on places like eBay, etc.
Perhaps some people still want it. As decoration, collectors item, exhibit in a show-case.
Or simplay as a spare part for repairing another DB50XG. Who knows ? 😉

Anyway, it's just an idea because prices went sky-high for these things..
Also, If you do, don't forget to add a big, red text saying "broken/not working" in the auction's description.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 7, by Dubinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So,

Another News:

That Chip who become hot is the AWM2 Synth Chip and its normal that this IC become hot. Suggestion here to put an Heatsink to it, ...

Hmm so there must then an another Problem then. Failing DAC or OPAMP or so?

Hmm lets check some ICs to find an Replacement, or better:

Anyone can feed me with Voltages so i can measure something 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by Dubinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've ordered now the NEC 18 Bit DAC and the two OpAmps and that 74HC.

I pull that Sh*t out and replace them. Just for fun 😁

That Card has two ROM Banks of PCM Data. Is that Flash ROM or masked rom?

When someone has two dumps of it.. Then i can burn new one. But so i need the correct Flash 😁

You See, i don't give up!