VOGONS

First post, by Tmp2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, I bought a Compaq P3 for £10 a few weeks ago and got it looking and running like new. I now know that P2/3's are going for a premium on eBay so pretty chuffed with myself 😁

Anyway, I now want to try something else. I'm aware you can build a P4 Win98 rig using the 865G chipset, I was initially looking at socket 478, the Dell GX270 SFF looked an ideal candidate, but then I realised you can get LGA775, so I bought this -> https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5P800VM/overview/ It came with a P4 3.2GHz and 2GB RAM all for £10 😁

So I'm thinking I dual boot Win98 / XP. that way I can play anything. I can limit 98 to just see the first 512MB RAM and I believe it will work with HT/Dual-core just on one core. Then XP will use both cores and all the RAM.

I'm sure there's a reason that P2/3's are all sold out, and you can pick up the top-spec P4 for £7, but I can't see why this isn't going to work.

Also, what do people think the best LGA775 CPU is? I'm looking at the Pentium D 450 - it's 3.4GHz, dual-core, 95W.

Reply 3 of 8, by Tmp2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just looking into it now and that mobo lists an 800mHz FSB, most the Core2s have a faster FSB so I wonder if I'd be limited to the 800mHz FSB - in which case I'd be looking at an E4700. I'm just speculating here, hopefully someone will know more!

Reply 4 of 8, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you were wondering what the fastest cpu for that specific board was you should specify that

aparently the board has support for the 65nm pentium D. the fastest 65nm was the Pentium D 960. it's a tossup if that spcific model will work but supposedly it should.

the board doesn't appear to support core 2 cpu's at all.

Reply 5 of 8, by Tmp2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
emosun wrote:

if you were wondering what the fastest cpu for that specific board was you should specify that

aparently the board has support for the 65nm pentium D. the fastest 65nm was the Pentium D 960. it's a tossup if that spcific model will work but supposedly it should.

the board doesn't appear to support core 2 cpu's at all.

Sorry, I thought that would be inferred when I stated I had just bought that mobo and included a link to it. I just bought the Pentium D 945 for £6.50, looks to be the best bet from what was available, just seen a lot of people complaining they run hot and aren't very efficient. I don't know if I'm just wasting that extra core though, or if HT would have been more use. Bearing in mind 98/XP, although with this spec I might try Win7/10 just to see if it runs 😁

Could I really run Win 3.1 and Win10 on the same HW? Lets find out 😁

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win 3.1 runs fine on VMs with i5 and i7 CPUs, so I think it's perfectly possible. 😁
I heard, on real hardware, the 64-Bit processsors could be problematic, though.
In that case, just run it in Standard Mode instead (win /2 or /s).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tmp2k wrote:

Yes you can, and I can prove it.
Here's my thread about doing it on something newer : "Madness", One retro PC to rule them all :)
No VMs were used to make this possible.

As for your setup :
512MB limit should work OK (for the most part), however GPU might present a problem.
What exactly you want to use for this rig ?

157143230295.png

Reply 8 of 8, by Tmp2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
Yes you can, and I can prove it. Here's my thread about doing it on something newer : "Madness", One retro PC to rule them all : […]
Show full quote
Tmp2k wrote:

Yes you can, and I can prove it.
Here's my thread about doing it on something newer : "Madness", One retro PC to rule them all :)
No VMs were used to make this possible.

As for your setup :
512MB limit should work OK (for the most part), however GPU might present a problem.
What exactly you want to use for this rig ?

TBH I've not really got a use in mind, I'm just enjoying the challenge and finding the right HW, it's a bonus that so far it's only cost me £16 🤣 I guess my goal is to build a system that will boot as many retro OSes as possible and be as fast as possible (for the modern OSes) but still compatible with the older ones. I'll probably use it for playing various old games, or maybe just set it up at my local hackspace to show people what Win 3.1/98/xp etc was like.

What's the possible problem with GPUs? I was thinking of going for a Radeon 9550 or 9800 pro (depending on if I go for a low profile case or not). Is there a better choice?