Win7 system will not activate.

Topic actions

Reply 23 of 29, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
collector wrote:

Does the process even show in the Task Manager?

I don't think so. I'll have to take a look.
No even logs on the system to show why its not starting ether.

Reply 25 of 29, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

If the PC wasn't activated when you reinstalled using the OEM recovery DVD, then:
1. You used the wrong recovery DVD.
2. The BIOS was updated at some point and the SLIC was changed so that it no longer matches the certificate on the recovery DVD. It could even be that the SLIC markers are there, but empty.
3. HP gave you the wrong recovery DVD.

Get a tool called SLIC Toolkit and see if SLIC and certificate match. Dig around the Internet for an HP certificate (HPQOEM SLIC BPC) until you find one that matches your PC's SLIC. Disconnect your ethernet cable. Remove the product key using slmgr /upk [product key.] Reboot the PC. Install the matching certificate using this command: slmgr /ilc hpqoem-slic-bpc.xrm-ms . Add the product key from the sticker on the PC using slmgr /ipk [product key.] See if you're activated. If not, run slmgr /rearm and reboot. Check activation again.

If that doesn't work, call up Microsoft and activate it over the phone.

Reply 26 of 29, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
FuzzyLogic wrote:
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. […]
Show full quote

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

If the PC wasn't activated when you reinstalled using the OEM recovery DVD, then:
1. You used the wrong recovery DVD.
2. The BIOS was updated at some point and the SLIC was changed so that it no longer matches the certificate on the recovery DVD. It could even be that the SLIC markers are there, but empty.
3. HP gave you the wrong recovery DVD.

Get a tool called SLIC Toolkit and see if SLIC and certificate match. Dig around the Internet for an HP certificate (HPQOEM SLIC BPC) until you find one that matches your PC's SLIC. Disconnect your ethernet cable. Remove the product key using slmgr /upk [product key.] Reboot the PC. Install the matching certificate using this command: slmgr /ilc hpqoem-slic-bpc.xrm-ms . Add the product key from the sticker on the PC using slmgr /ipk [product key.] See if you're activated. If not, run slmgr /rearm and reboot. Check activation again.

If that doesn't work, call up Microsoft and activate it over the phone.

the right recovery cd was used.
Bios was never updated.
Maybe.
slmgr /upk does not do any thing, SLMGR does not work.

Reply 27 of 29, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
the right recovery cd was used. Bios was never updated. Maybe. slmgr /upk does not do any thing, SLMGR does not work. […]
Show full quote

the right recovery cd was used.
Bios was never updated.
Maybe.
slmgr /upk does not do any thing, SLMGR does not work.

Then use a retail ISO and install it with a generic key. Follow the same instructions because you still need the correct certificate.

Reply 29 of 29, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... I guess there's no way out of it. You might just need to reinstall everything.

Use your CD key to download the Windows 7 ISO from here : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7, and reinstall via USB 2.0 drive or CD.

I always like installing clean from retail CD/ISO.

Or keep in touch with HP, and hopefully someone who's experienced in that particular model and Windows 7 can help.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers