VOGONS

Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 323, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ I not sure, but I think all the samples, 4MB, are in RAM, and polyphony is split between a hardware synth (YMFx) and the CPU (software). Something like how the AWE64 splits its polyphony.

Reply 61 of 323, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tertz, your effort of this guide makes me translating for my native retro freaks.

I finished Korean translated guide(except composing), now posting here and korean retro cafe.

Thank you for your effort. Maybe most vogons members don't need to download this to see.

But I should say I made this.

Attachments

• Filename
    YMF.pdf
    File size
    309.22 KiB
    Downloads
    242 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 62 of 323, by Oleg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I've just released mini-album, written for YMF724.

It is available
in Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Ole … lajarlax446l42q
on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLei6m … Cz43WuFzLHkOGXC
v VKontakte: https://vk.com/audios317329997?album_id=83950609

Reply 64 of 323, by n3o611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong topic, but this is the only post I could find.

For years I have an "Sound TRACK YMF-754 DIGITAL-XG Gold" lying around in my PC room without any use for it, maybe anyone here has a use for it?
It has a perfect box, the manual and the cards are in perfect condition.

Pictures can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/3Q3f8

have a nice day everyone!

Reply 65 of 323, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got Xwave 6000 card, works great in pure Windows 98, but does clicking sounds at random intervals under DOS box in many games. Not all of them though. For example Warcraft is ok, but Doom is clicking. Where should I dig? Tried 2008 and 2013 drivers with no luck so far.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 66 of 323, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently I use a Yamaha-ISA-Card (Audician32plus) for the old machines, that still have an ISA slot and did not knew that there also exist PCI-Cards with OPl3...that's really nice.

I'll test one card in my P4-Mini-PC. I have the machine with D1321 board. Afaik it has no SB-Link. What Yamaha-PCI-Sound-Card should I go for, if I am more interested in dos compatibility then 4channel 3d-sound in win9x/2k?

Cards: Genius Sound Maker 128XG (YMF724), Yamaha Waveforce 192 XG (YMF724), AOpen AW724, AW744 Pro, Labway XWave 5000 (YMF72 […]
Show full quote

Cards:
Genius Sound Maker 128XG (YMF724),
Yamaha Waveforce 192 XG (YMF724),
AOpen AW724, AW744 Pro,
Labway XWave 5000 (YMF724), 6000 (YMF754),
Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo (YMF744),
Minton SP401F (YMF724),
Hoontech SoundTrack Digital XG (YMF754/YMF744),
etc. ** Also there are many noname cards.

1.5. The work with DOS applications For real DOS support these cards use 3 DMA modes: PC/PCI (SB-Link) *, Distributed DMA (D-DMA […]
Show full quote

1.5. The work with DOS applications
For real DOS support these cards use 3 DMA modes: PC/PCI (SB-Link) *, Distributed DMA (D-DMA), TSR; and 3 IRQ modes (ISA, S-IRQ, INTA#). The most compatible is PC/PCI + S-IRQ, which available only with SB-Link cable connected to the system board. If the card's package had no SB-Link cable *, it can be made (2 socket IDC flat ribbon cable, 6 pins 2x3 2.54mm pitch) or bought separately; five wires of it are connected. TSR (dsdma utility) may be tried if other methods fail.

Intel chipsets 430TX and 440 support D-DMA and PC/PCI *. Chipsets i8xx for Pentium 3 and IV (note: ASRock made 865G boards like 775I65G R3.0 which supported early Core 2) support PC/PCI by their southbridge, but not D-DMA *. On i8xx, without SB-Link and TSR, in real DOS you may get only FM. Some MBs have no SB-Link connector, but have solder pads for it, and if you'll solder there SB-Link header sometimes it may to work (at least, up to i845 MBs).

TSR allows to get complete sound in DOS on systems without SB-Link and D-DMA *. There is a report about working by TSR in real DOS even on 486 computer with SiS496 chipset.
As DOS driver has no official support for Pentium IV chipsets, its setupds.exe may don't recognise correctly possible card's settings. To solve this, setupds.exe may be patched *.
Some of non-Intel chipsets with D-DMA support: ALi Aladdin4/5; SiS 5/6/7 *; AMD AMD-750 *, AMD-760 MPX; VIA Apollo VP2/VP3/MVP3, Pro-Plus/133, P4X266/333/400 *, KT133/266. There is no guarantee PCM will work by D-DMA with something not listed in DOS driver's manual, even if the chipset supports it.

The example of settings for real DOS.
In BIOS:
  IRQ5 = Legacy ISA
  DMA1 = Legacy ISA
  PCI Slot # (with the card) = IRQ11

Check there is no other devices using same resources. To find resources conflicts in DOS may to help HWiNFO *. Perhaps, will be necessary to change/remove in BIOS assignment of IRQs and addresses of some ports, controllers, USB, VGA, etc. * During boot in the PCI devices table should be shown "Multimedia device - IRQ11" and IRQ5 has to be free. It needs to configure setupds and DOS boot *:
   In SETUPDS (v3.10):
  LEGACY AUDIO: Enable
  SB PORT ADDRESS: 220h
  DMA CHANNEL: 1
  FM PORT ADDRESS: 388h
  MPU PORT ADDRESS: 330h
  IRQ MODE: INTA#
  INTA# IRQ: 5
  DMA MODE: D-DMA
  D-DMA BASE: 8000h
   In AUTOEXEC.BAT:
  SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 P330
  setupds.exe /s

Some PCI slots (closer to CPU) allow changing of INTA# IRQ in SETUPDS on 440BX, while other slots in the same MB - not. To set SB IRQ with a slot of 2nd type you may by assigning IRQ to the slot in BIOS.

Besides real DOS, the applications may also work in Win9x DOS box with resources' settings of "Yamaha DS-XG Legacy Sound System" in Device Manager **. In this mode you may also use GM MIDI with 4 MB bank from Power YMF which is close to DB50XG. SB Pro support in DOS box works also on i8xx boards. The problem is a lot of games do not work in Win9x DOS box *.

The example of settings for Win9x DOS box. The SB resources are needed to be set in BIOS as "Legacy/ISA", and then assigned to Legacy Device:
  CODEC: 220h IRQ5 DMA1
  FM: 388h
  MPU401: 330h IRQ5
  If a game does not work by D-DMA, then try Win9x DOS box. Games which work by D-DMA on 440BX: Tie Fighter, Dune (run install.exe and make autoconfig befor the game's start). Din't work: Dune 2, Flashback. Games which did not work by SB-Link: Descent 2, Larry I VGA, Police Quest 3, Quarantine, Space Quest I VGA. Also some games have own sound problems: Dyna Blaster (needs <486 50 MHz), Dune 2 (may not to play the music with less free base RAM).

Doom needs dos32a * to work by SB-Link. Run "dos32a.exe doom.exe". Same for Descent.
Examples of potentially problematic games to test different methods of DOS support: Commander Keen 6, Descent 1 & 2, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Dune, Epic Pinball, Jill of the Jungle, Larry I VGA, Laura Bow: Dagger of Amon Ra, Mega Man X, Police Quest 3, Prince of Persia, Quarantine, Sam & Max - Hit The Road, Space Quest I VGA, Wing Commander 2.
Besides PCI->ISA problems, it needs to mention that YMF7xx chips are not 100% compatible with SB Pro PCM as some ADPCM functions are not implemented (see SB Pro section in YMF datasheets), what causes issues in some games like Duke Nukem II. There is also a possibility that FM will play sometimes noticably differenly (lower pitch), than on SB Pro **, because YMF use 289 OPL, but not original 262.

Attachments

• Filename
    SCENIC-T-D1321.pdf
    File size
    113.02 KiB
    Downloads
    141 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 70 of 323, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shiozaki wrote:

if i have a card without the pins for a sb-link header but it has the pads labled for it can i attach a cable to the pads and have it work?

It should work. Yo may need to add a couple missing resistors as well though.

And the "pads" should actually be through the board holes. The correct way to do it is to get a 6-pin plug, remove the one pin and install it with the needed 5-pins and then use a cable.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 71 of 323, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
shiozaki wrote:

if i have a card without the pins for a sb-link header but it has the pads labled for it can i attach a cable to the pads and have it work?

It should work. Yo may need to add a couple missing resistors as well though.

And the "pads" should actually be through the board holes. The correct way to do it is to get a 6-pin plug, remove the one pin and install it with the needed 5-pins and then use a cable.

The onboard XG should work just like a PCI card.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 72 of 323, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where can I find the latest VxD driver (2020)?
Is it definitely the best for Win98 gaming with YMF744?

In the Yamaha website there aren't any 20** driver and the 1040 version seems to be compatible with all the YMF7x4 series (and not just for YMF724/YMF740 as written in the first post) 😕

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95

Reply 73 of 323, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kamerat wrote:
FaSMaN wrote:

Can you upload the patched version somewhere, I have been having a terrible time getting it to work for several weeks now?

Here you go. Remember that it only makes any difference for systems using the VIA VT82C686A/B southbridge. I had to change the DMA mode to DDMA in the SETDUPDS utility and set DMA to 0 for get things going. 😀

I'm having a rough time trying to get DDMA working with my YMF cards (both 724F-V cards, one labway one generic). I have an Asus TUV4X which uses the VIA Apollo Pro133T chipset which has a VT82C686B south bridge.

I'm using the modified setupds program from the quoted post, which DID finally allow me to select DMA settings, but now I can't seem to get past the "Can not detect Interrupt at IRQ5" error when using IRQ MODE "ISA". Oddly enough, after getting this error I can actually run the 16bit and FM sound tests and they work! But I can't exit\save the settings. When using "S-IRQ" it gives the same error and freezes the system.

I have tried reserving IRQ5 and IRQ 7 for Legacy\ISA in the BIOS. I have also tried reserving one or the other for the PCI slot which the card resides in (currently in Slot 4). When I set IRQ MODE to "INTA#", it goes back to giving a "DMA 1" error.

What should D-DMA BASE be set to, and is there anything else I should adjust in my BIOS? I've disabled all extra features of the board (USB, power features, serial ports, etc.).

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: If I set the DMA to 0 and IRQ MODE to "INTA#", it stops giving errors, plays all the test sounds and lets me save the configuration. IRQ set to INTA# always picks the IRQ that is assigned to the PCI slot in the BIOS. Apparently, setting ANY IRQ to be reserved for Legacy\ISA makes them off-limits to whatever "INTA#" is, because INTA# always detects a different IRQ than any that are reserved.

The problem is, even though I can save the settings and everything works in setupds, when I run a sound setup program for a game the digital sound effects do not work. FM audio does work, which is cool, but that's relatively easy (no DMA or IRQ settings).

If I change my BIOS to "NA" for IRQ reserved for this PCI slot, INTA# reports IRQ 127, which is obviously wrong.

It seems like I'm missing something here. I've moved the card around, switched video cards (from PCI to AGP), tried 20 different combinations of BIOS settings. How does it work in the application using the INTA# default, including 8bit sound, but then I get no digital sound outside setupds? What exactly is INTA#??

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2017-10-22, 04:39. Edited 3 times in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 74 of 323, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
colpoz wrote:

Where can I find the latest VxD driver (2020)?
Is it definitely the best for Win98 gaming with YMF744?

In the Yamaha website there aren't any 20** driver and the 1040 version seems to be compatible with all the YMF7x4 series (and not just for YMF724/YMF740 as written in the first post) 😕

The 2019 set is available on the AOPEN site for the AW744-L2.

http://global.aopen.com/products_download.aspx?auno=1112

I didn't even know there was a 2020 version.

But after some google-fu, I found it. Not sure if it will even work with regular cards as all the .INF files seem to reference a docking station.
Here it is though.
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/suppo … s/t820snd95.exe

I found it on this page:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en& … 23aae0e6375dc72

Edit: The 1040 version may actually be newer as it looks like it uses the newer driver version naming convention. I'll have to test it to see what is up with it.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-10-22, 03:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 75 of 323, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:
I'm having a rough time trying to get DDMA working with my YMF cards. I have an Asus TUV4X which uses the VIA Apollo Pro133T chi […]
Show full quote
Kamerat wrote:
FaSMaN wrote:

Can you upload the patched version somewhere, I have been having a terrible time getting it to work for several weeks now?

Here you go. Remember that it only makes any difference for systems using the VIA VT82C686A/B southbridge. I had to change the DMA mode to DDMA in the SETDUPDS utility and set DMA to 0 for get things going. 😀

I'm having a rough time trying to get DDMA working with my YMF cards. I have an Asus TUV4X which uses the VIA Apollo Pro133T chipset which has a VT82C686B south bridge.

I'm using the modified setupds program from the quoted post, which DID finally allow me to select DMA settings, but now I can't seem to get past the "Can not detect Interrupt at IRQ5" error when using IRQ MODE "ISA". Oddly enough, after getting this error I can actually run the sound tests and they work! But I can't exit\save the settings. When using "S-IRQ" it gives the same error and freezes the system.

I have tried reserving IRQ5 and IRQ 7 for Legacy\ISA in the BIOS. I have also tried reserving one or the other for the PCI slot which the card resides in (currently in Slot 4). When I set IRQ MODE to "INTA#", it goes back to giving a "DMA 1" error.

What should D-DMA BASE be set to, and is there anything else I should adjust in my BIOS? I've disabled all extra features of the board (USB, power features, serial ports, etc.).

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: If I set the DMA to 0 and IRQ MODE to "INTA#", it stops giving errors, plays all the test sounds and lets me save the configuration. IRQ set to INTA# always picks the IRQ that is assigned to the PCI slot in the BIOS. Apparently, setting ANY resources to be reserved for Legacy\ISA makes them off-limits to this program, because INTA# always detects a different IRQ than any that are reserved.

The problem is, even though I can save the settings and everything works in setupds, when I run a sound setup program for a game the digital sound effects do not work. FM audio does work, which is cool, but that's relatively easy (no DMA or IRQ settings).

You may need to try a different PCI slot. Do you have PnP OS enabled or disabled in BIOS?

It really should work just fine without disabling anything on the board itself.

I'll test on my Tyan S1854 and post back. It should behave very similarly to your board.

Edit: I will probably get to test it out tomorrow evening. Late here and I have to go to bed. Took a while to dig out the case with the S1854 in it and then I had to get a video card and power supply put in it.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-10-22, 04:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 76 of 323, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

You may need to try a different PCI slot. Do you have PnP OS enabled or disabled in BIOS?

I'll test on my Tyan S1854 and post back. It should behave very similarly to your board.

Thanks for the input.

I've tested all six PCI slots, PnP OS disabled... its driving me mad. I'm not that familiar with how to check for resource conflicts, but using speedsys I'm not seeing any IRQ conflicts what so ever. Is there a better way to check for conflicts in DOS? There is almost NOTHING in this "computer" now. I have a TNT 16MB AGP card (was using an S3 Trio64V2 PCI), YMF724, no USB devices, everything on the motherboard disabled except for ONE IDE channel, a PS\2 keyboard, 512mb of RAM, a P3 1266S and a CF card adapter for booting DOS.

Am I supposed to be able to select ISA or S-IRQ at all with a DDMA (not PC-PCI) setup? I wish Yamaha explained these settings better.

I did just notice that part of the junk the Yamaha installer added to my autoexec is this:
chcp437
Which is saying "NLSFUNC not installed" every time I boot. What is this? EDIT: Nevermind, that appears to be some kind of language formatting command for the DOS command line. I don't know why Yamaha thought they were special enough to throw this into everyone's autoexec permanently. Also, what's with the dumb way it copies and then deletes dos4gw every time I boot just to get it in the right place? I just made it change directories, run the application, then change back. Saves a little bit of wear on my CF card...

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2017-10-22, 04:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 77 of 323, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Thanks for the input. […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

Thanks for the input.

I've tested all six PCI slots, PnP OS disabled... its driving me mad. I'm not that familiar with how to check for resource conflicts, but using speedsys I'm not seeing any IRQ conflicts what so ever. Is there a better way to check for conflicts in DOS? There is almost NOTHING in this "computer" now. I have a TNT 16MB AGP card (was using an S3 Trio64V2 PCI), YMF724, no USB devices, everything on the motherboard disabled except for ONE IDE channel, a PS\2 keyboard, 512mb of RAM, a P3 1266S and a CF card adapter for booting DOS.

Am I supposed to be able to select ISA or S-IRQ at all with a DDMA (not PC-PCI) setup? I wish Yamaha explained these settings better.

I did just notice that part of the junk the Yamaha installer added to my autoexec is this:
chcp437
Which is saying "NLSFUNC not installed" every time I boot. What is this? EDIT: Nevermind, that appears to be some kind of language formatting command for the DOS command line. I don't know why Yamaha thought they were special enough to throw this into everyone's autoexec permanently. Also, what's with the really awful copy\delete commands for dos4gw? I just made it change directories, run the application, then change back. Saves a little bit of wear on my CF card...

I don't think you need that chcp437 thing in the autoexec.bat. I don't remember having it there last time I installed the card. What version of drivers are you using?

I'll test tomorrow and post back here. I don't remember exactly what I did last time I installed one, but it did work fine on a VIA chipset for both music and digital sound.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 78 of 323, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Thanks for the input. […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

Thanks for the input.

chcp437
Which is saying "NLSFUNC not installed" every time I boot. What is this? EDIT: Nevermind, that appears to be some kind of language formatting command for the DOS command line. I don't know why Yamaha thought they were special enough to throw this into everyone's autoexec permanently. Also, what's with the really awful copy\delete commands for dos4gw? I just made it change directories, run the application, then change back. Saves a little bit of wear on my CF card...

I don't think you need that chcp437 thing in the autoexec.bat. I don't remember having it there last time I installed the card. What version of drivers are you using?

I'll test tomorrow and post back here. I don't remember exactly what I did last time I installed one, but it did work fine on a VIA chipset for both music and digital sound.

I downloaded the only DOS drivers for the YMF724 on the vogons database:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=51,35

It has version SetupDS 3.09 included... but I had to use the modified version that Kamerat posted way back.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not using dsdma, since I've read that its possible to get this card working without a TSR. And frankly, I don't even know where to get that since it isn't included in the drivers. 😀

Reply 79 of 323, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:
Currently I use a Yamaha-ISA-Card (Audician32plus) for the old machines, that still have an ISA slot and did not knew that there […]
Show full quote

Currently I use a Yamaha-ISA-Card (Audician32plus) for the old machines, that still have an ISA slot and did not knew that there also exist PCI-Cards with OPl3...that's really nice.

I'll test one card in my P4-Mini-PC. I have the machine with D1321 board. Afaik it has no SB-Link. What Yamaha-PCI-Sound-Card should I go for, if I am more interested in dos compatibility then 4channel 3d-sound in win9x/2k?

Cards: Genius Sound Maker 128XG (YMF724), Yamaha Waveforce 192 XG (YMF724), AOpen AW724, AW744 Pro, Labway XWave 5000 (YMF72 […]
Show full quote

Cards:
Genius Sound Maker 128XG (YMF724),
Yamaha Waveforce 192 XG (YMF724),
AOpen AW724, AW744 Pro,
Labway XWave 5000 (YMF724), 6000 (YMF754),
Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo (YMF744),
Minton SP401F (YMF724),
Hoontech SoundTrack Digital XG (YMF754/YMF744),
etc. ** Also there are many noname cards.

1.5. The work with DOS applications For real DOS support these cards use 3 DMA modes: PC/PCI (SB-Link) *, Distributed DMA (D-DMA […]
Show full quote

1.5. The work with DOS applications
For real DOS support these cards use 3 DMA modes: PC/PCI (SB-Link) *, Distributed DMA (D-DMA), TSR; and 3 IRQ modes (ISA, S-IRQ, INTA#). The most compatible is PC/PCI + S-IRQ, which available only with SB-Link cable connected to the system board. If the card's package had no SB-Link cable *, it can be made (2 socket IDC flat ribbon cable, 6 pins 2x3 2.54mm pitch) or bought separately; five wires of it are connected. TSR (dsdma utility) may be tried if other methods fail.

Intel chipsets 430TX and 440 support D-DMA and PC/PCI *. Chipsets i8xx for Pentium 3 and IV (note: ASRock made 865G boards like 775I65G R3.0 which supported early Core 2) support PC/PCI by their southbridge, but not D-DMA *. On i8xx, without SB-Link and TSR, in real DOS you may get only FM. Some MBs have no SB-Link connector, but have solder pads for it, and if you'll solder there SB-Link header sometimes it may to work (at least, up to i845 MBs).

TSR allows to get complete sound in DOS on systems without SB-Link and D-DMA *. There is a report about working by TSR in real DOS even on 486 computer with SiS496 chipset.
As DOS driver has no official support for Pentium IV chipsets, its setupds.exe may don't recognise correctly possible card's settings. To solve this, setupds.exe may be patched *.
Some of non-Intel chipsets with D-DMA support: ALi Aladdin4/5; SiS 5/6/7 *; AMD AMD-750 *, AMD-760 MPX; VIA Apollo VP2/VP3/MVP3, Pro-Plus/133, P4X266/333/400 *, KT133/266. There is no guarantee PCM will work by D-DMA with something not listed in DOS driver's manual, even if the chipset supports it.

The example of settings for real DOS.
In BIOS:
  IRQ5 = Legacy ISA
  DMA1 = Legacy ISA
  PCI Slot # (with the card) = IRQ11

Check there is no other devices using same resources. To find resources conflicts in DOS may to help HWiNFO *. Perhaps, will be necessary to change/remove in BIOS assignment of IRQs and addresses of some ports, controllers, USB, VGA, etc. * During boot in the PCI devices table should be shown "Multimedia device - IRQ11" and IRQ5 has to be free. It needs to configure setupds and DOS boot *:
   In SETUPDS (v3.10):
  LEGACY AUDIO: Enable
  SB PORT ADDRESS: 220h
  DMA CHANNEL: 1
  FM PORT ADDRESS: 388h
  MPU PORT ADDRESS: 330h
  IRQ MODE: INTA#
  INTA# IRQ: 5
  DMA MODE: D-DMA
  D-DMA BASE: 8000h
   In AUTOEXEC.BAT:
  SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 P330
  setupds.exe /s

Some PCI slots (closer to CPU) allow changing of INTA# IRQ in SETUPDS on 440BX, while other slots in the same MB - not. To set SB IRQ with a slot of 2nd type you may by assigning IRQ to the slot in BIOS.

Besides real DOS, the applications may also work in Win9x DOS box with resources' settings of "Yamaha DS-XG Legacy Sound System" in Device Manager **. In this mode you may also use GM MIDI with 4 MB bank from Power YMF which is close to DB50XG. SB Pro support in DOS box works also on i8xx boards. The problem is a lot of games do not work in Win9x DOS box *.

The example of settings for Win9x DOS box. The SB resources are needed to be set in BIOS as "Legacy/ISA", and then assigned to Legacy Device:
  CODEC: 220h IRQ5 DMA1
  FM: 388h
  MPU401: 330h IRQ5
  If a game does not work by D-DMA, then try Win9x DOS box. Games which work by D-DMA on 440BX: Tie Fighter, Dune (run install.exe and make autoconfig befor the game's start). Din't work: Dune 2, Flashback. Games which did not work by SB-Link: Descent 2, Larry I VGA, Police Quest 3, Quarantine, Space Quest I VGA. Also some games have own sound problems: Dyna Blaster (needs <486 50 MHz), Dune 2 (may not to play the music with less free base RAM).

Doom needs dos32a * to work by SB-Link. Run "dos32a.exe doom.exe". Same for Descent.
Examples of potentially problematic games to test different methods of DOS support:
Commander Keen 6, Descent 1 & 2, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Dune, Epic Pinball, Jill of the Jungle, Larry I VGA, Laura Bow: Dagger of Amon Ra, Mega Man X, Police Quest 3, Prince of Persia, Quarantine, Sam & Max - Hit The Road, Space Quest I VGA, Wing Commander 2.
Besides PCI->ISA problems, it needs to mention that YMF7xx chips are not 100% compatible with SB Pro PCM as some ADPCM functions are not implemented (see SB Pro section in YMF datasheets), what causes issues in some games like Duke Nukem II. There is also a possibility that FM will play sometimes noticably differenly (lower pitch), than on SB Pro **, because YMF use 289 OPL, but not original 262.

I just saw this post, specifically the part in bold. I've been trying to sue Descent's sound setup for testing. I'm not sure if this is part of the problem or not, as it is the sound setup program that doesn't work (presumably, the game doesn't either). I'm also not using SB-Link.

Is there a reliable game I should try? It seems like most DOS games have broken sound in one way or another. It'd be nice to have ONE reliable one that is compatible with everything (assuming the system is configured properly).