VOGONS

First post, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I picked this old ~1998-99 custom build up on Craigslist for $10 a few months back. Tried plugging in two different IDE hard drives (one is new old stock), and it wont detect either one. It's got a Cyrix 300 CPU, Award Bios, VIA chipset, and some model MATSONIC motherboard.

During bootup, it tries to detect the HDD, but can not. Tried switching/reversing different cables, and no dice. Went into bios to try the auto-detect there, and nothing happens, just hangs. Changed the 2032 battery, Jumpers are set to master, can't think of how to troubleshoot this one. Any ideas?

It's currently got both types of RAM installed - should I remove one for troubleshooting? But not sure if that would affect the HD.

IMG_3007.JPG
Filename
IMG_3007.JPG
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_3008.JPG
Filename
IMG_3008.JPG
File size
805.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you trying a HDD smaller than 8GB to be sure it supports it?

Edit: also Simm/dimm systems don't run at their best with both installed and can have flakies, but they usually get to loading OS. If it came with them in, we could guess it may have worked, but in in doubt, take it out, golden rule is to make things as simple as possible.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 5, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good point. None of my hdds are smaller than 8gb. I have an 80 and a 123. The only other thing I have currently is an 8gb compact flash setup. I'll go ahead and try that next.

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most HDDs can be size limited in the firmware settings. Seagate and Samsung are the easiest. You just need a copy of SEATOOLS.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder