VOGONS

First post, by och

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thinking of building a Pentium 2 system, but it seems that all modern power supplied lack -5 rail on the 20pin connector (essentially making them 19pin)? I really don't want to resort to using an older used power supply. What are my options?

Reply 1 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is very, very few uses for the -5V, unless you've got a 286 or below or you're very sure you need it for something, then don't worry about it. Unless you've got a nasty board that actually looks at all the voltages and throws a wobbly about the one it will never use.

It is fairly easy to rig a -5V supply off the -12V though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can find new Startech ATX 1.3 supplies with appropriate rail allocations for Athlon 3200+ type machines and -5V rails. There should also be some availability of FSP/SPI supplies of the same design era as they were still in production until fairly recently. If your P2 board uses AT, Startech makes those new as well.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
och wrote:

So I should be ok running ISA Awe64 gold using a power supply without -5v?

There's a thread for that.

Reply 7 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
.legaCy wrote:

If i recall correctly modern psu has -12v , modding the power supply atx connector and using one 7905 regulator you can create a weak -5v

-5 is kinda weak anyway, and 7905 is good for an amp, depends how crappy the -12V is, I've seen as bad as 300mA so you won't get much out of that, if it's 1A that's nice because average for each was half an amp.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are switching regulators to invert the polarity as well. See charge pump and buck-boost configurations.

Reply 9 of 10, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

There are switching regulators to invert the polarity as well. See charge pump and buck-boost configurations.

If you look for premade modules is kind of okay and way more efficient than a linear regulator(7905), but for diy its kind of way harder to design a buck-boost converter

Reply 10 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Premade modules are definitely the easiest, but most VRM application notes have a baseline design that you can roll with.