VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 221 of 1111, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the d3d8 dll is frequently deleted by my antivirus (bitdefender), is there anything Dege can do to avoid it being detected as a virus?

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 222 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

the d3d8 dll is frequently deleted by my antivirus (bitdefender), is there anything Dege can do to avoid it being detected as a virus?

Sure there is. Is it reasonable that a small developer working for free should spend his time creating workarounds for bugs in software that isn't even his? I'm going with no.

Reply 224 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:
Myloch wrote:

I got a better fix, Windows Defender! 🤣

I had Windows Defender detect a version of dgVoodoo2 on another computer (I don't use Windows Defender).

Better solution is either to A: figure out what to trust yourself or B: contact your AV company when you have doubts.

Reply 227 of 1111, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:
Myloch wrote:

I got a better fix, Windows Defender! 🤣

Defender from Windows 10 1709 detects the whole WIP37 as malware and will delete it automatically every time you download it or open its directory:
Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock 😒
I've sent a FALSE POSITIVE report to MS using: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission let's see now...

EDIT: 24 hours later fixed by MS. Now is not detected as malware anymore

Reply 229 of 1111, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the games EXE file properties, make sure the "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" compatibility option is enabled, otherwise the game will use a hybrid display mode instead of proper Fullscreen Exclusive display mode.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 231 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was lucky!
An MSFT guy kindly reported my Win FCU problem to the DirectX Team and I got in contact with the right person. I really appreciate the help I got from there.

What turned out:
- I was wrong, there is no problem with their occlusion algorhytm. Self occlusion occurs in previous Windows versions too (with reason) but they added an extra (lose-focus) logic to FCU.
- The real problem is present on dgVoodoo side. Or, I'd rather say, on application/game side. Some games like Splinter Cell do a certain thing that drives DXGI to force the rendering window from fullscreen back to windowed mode through the self-occlusion way. Those game run in fake fullscreen on Win versions prior to FCU (which is a problem in itself).

Lose-focus logic could be changed a little bit to keep the compatibility with the specific scenario that the dgVoodoo-case uncovered, and it MIGHT be fixed later. I managed to create a simple repro app to show the difference between CU and FCU (that's the current phase of our conversation).

On the other hand, now that I understand what the real problem is, I think I found a way to be compliant with DXGI. At least Splinter Cell now works fine on FCU. I also changed another thing that is related to window activating, that fixed NOLF on FCU.
Now dgVoodoo seems to work fine on FCU, but the thing is I didn't tested too many games, so I don't want to speak to soon.

Now I'm thinking on whether to patch 2.54 with some additional fixes from the aggregated ones or to fix some others and release a new version from the current state.

Reply 234 of 1111, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The more compatible the DirectX Team can make the O/S with old games, the better. Keep pressing them to implement the compatibility fix even if you end up not taking advantage of it.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 235 of 1111, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
I was lucky! An MSFT guy kindly reported my Win FCU problem to the DirectX Team and I got in contact with the right person. I re […]
Show full quote

I was lucky!
An MSFT guy kindly reported my Win FCU problem to the DirectX Team and I got in contact with the right person. I really appreciate the help I got from there.

What turned out:
- I was wrong, there is no problem with their occlusion algorhytm. Self occlusion occurs in previous Windows versions too (with reason) but they added an extra (lose-focus) logic to FCU.
- The real problem is present on dgVoodoo side. Or, I'd rather say, on application/game side. Some games like Splinter Cell do a certain thing that drives DXGI to force the rendering window from fullscreen back to windowed mode through the self-occlusion way. Those game run in fake fullscreen on Win versions prior to FCU (which is a problem in itself).

Lose-focus logic could be changed a little bit to keep the compatibility with the specific scenario that the dgVoodoo-case uncovered, and it MIGHT be fixed later. I managed to create a simple repro app to show the difference between CU and FCU (that's the current phase of our conversation).

On the other hand, now that I understand what the real problem is, I think I found a way to be compliant with DXGI. At least Splinter Cell now works fine on FCU. I also changed another thing that is related to window activating, that fixed NOLF on FCU.
Now dgVoodoo seems to work fine on FCU, but the thing is I didn't tested too many games, so I don't want to speak to soon.

Now I'm thinking on whether to patch 2.54 with some additional fixes from the aggregated ones or to fix some others and release a new version from the current state.

MS fixes stuff and then it breaks again. I say dont count on them if you can.
Also Win10 might be an never ending source of problems. New update , new issues, new dev work. You need to consider this also. Bullet proof your code.😀(nice move with the debug layer)

Also from time to time i would like to know what you are working on . 😀
Do you use tweeter? Maybe we can create a new thread where you can share with the rest of us your status and what are you working on, if you do anywork. 😀

Also about SC, i have posted some pictures(from a person who commented on SC thread) did you manged to have a look at the issue?
Here's the issue : dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11 Missing shadows from the windows blinds.

Regards.

Reply 236 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MS fixes stuff and then it breaks again. I say dont count on them if you can.

Everyone do that, including me... 😉
That's why intensive testing is always needed.

daniel_u wrote:

Also from time to time i would like to know what you are working on .

Well, I started too many things but I didn't have much time, especially in the recent months, resulting in laid aside things.
My workplace took unexpectedly too much time from me this year. That's why I wasn't responsive, even for PMs. Sorry to everyone for that.

daniel_u wrote:

Also about SC, i have posted some pictures(from a person who commented on SC thread) did you manged to have a look at the issue?

Yes, I saw that issue but I didn't debug it yet.

Reply 237 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A new WIP:

=========================
WIP39:
=========================

- DX Surface locking incompatibility, fixed (The Mystery of the Druids)
- Minor D3D/D3D8 bugs, D3D11 leaks fixed (my own tests)
- Some additional improvement in the Debug Layer
- Fixing 24 bit surface creation issue in DDraw (Blade Of Darkness, lava)
- Fixing fullscreen issue which causes more trouble than 'going into fake fullscreen' on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (e.g. Splinter Cell)
- Fixes for scaled output done by the wrapper ('Stretched, * AR' and 'Centered, AR' modes with larger than max of display-supported output images)
- Possibility of separate values for ImageScaleFactor for horizontal/vertical directions
- Option for disabling the default and classic resolutions for DirectX
- LfbWriteRegion bug in Glide, fixed (Blade of Darkness, background images)
- Support for partial Z-buffer copy in DirectDraw (The Revenant)
- Fixing range based fog hw calculations (The Chosen: Well of Souls)
- D3D8 software vertex processing incompatibility, fixed (Micro Commandos)

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP39.zip

Version with the Debug Layer:
http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP39_dbg.zip