VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:
SBIRQ is definitely the IRQ for the Sound Blaster - keep that at IRQ5. I'm not sure what COIRQ is for but, jumper that (for now […]
Show full quote
BeginnerGuy wrote:

COIRQ and SBIRQ. I'm assuming SBIRQ is my Sound Blaster IRQ, which is currently set to 5. No idea what COIRQ is for.

SBIRQ is definitely the IRQ for the Sound Blaster - keep that at IRQ5.
I'm not sure what COIRQ is for but, jumper that (for now) at IRQ10.

BeginnerGuy wrote:

From left to right:
MTDACK, MTDRQ, SNDACK, SNDRQ, PDACK, PDRQ, MTIRQ
I'm not really sure of any of these, but I get the feeling SNDACK and SNDRQ are to select my Sound Blaster DMA? That's just off the top of my head, there are no jumpers on those so that would explain alot.

MTDACK & MTDRQ goes together - these are for the DMA channel for your Mitsumi based CD-ROM drives. On some pictures I've seen, these are usually not jumpered (left open), since most people didn't have such a CD-ROM drive
SNDACK & SNDRQ should be for your Sound Blaster DMA channel but, strangely enough, on most pictures I've seen, none of these are jumpered. However, if you want to jumper them, select DMA channel 1. Normally, SNDACK1 & SNDRQ1 should represent DMA channel 1 and so forth (i.e., make sure the two numbers that are the same are jumpered together).
I have no idea what PDAC & PDRQ (i.e., which component's DMA channel) this represent but, in most pictures I've seen, this is always jumpered the same as in your original picture.
MTIRQ is your IRQ selection for your Mitsumi CD-ROM drive. The default is usually IRQ12 (IRQ15 might conflict with your IDE controller).
I can't quite make out what the jumper selection is (the printout on the PCB) - let me know what the "numbers" at the bottom of each jumper is.

Set up a SET BLASTER statement and a SET GALAXY statement in your Autoexec.bat file (if not already).
Make sure the settings matches your jumper selections.
The SET GALAXY normally has extra parameters but, let me know what the original setup program selected for you as the default parameters.

BeginnerGuy wrote:

SB ADDRESS, GAME PORT (LEFT)
CODEC ADDR, CDROM ADDR (RIGHT)

SB ADDRESS is to either choose 220h or 240h. The left selection is for 220h.
Game port is to either enable (left) or disable.
Don't try and connect your IDE CD-ROM drive to this sound card - it's doesn't have an IDE interface.
CODEC ADDR & CDROM ADDR (normally something like 300h) I would keep as is (most pictures I've seen has it jumpered like yours).

BeginnerGuy wrote:
Other jumpers on the top of the card are: PC SPK (connect PC speaker header to mainboard I presume, not using this) J1 (two pins […]
Show full quote

Other jumpers on the top of the card are:
PC SPK (connect PC speaker header to mainboard I presume, not using this)
J1 (two pins, no idea what its for - currently closed)
JX1 (three pins, no idea - pins 0 and 1 shorted)
SPK1 (four pins - guessing this is PC speaker output)

PC SPK is to connect to the mainboard (bypassing the onboard case speaker).
J1 is your speaker amplification jumper (open for low amplification and close for high amplification).
JX1 is your normally your microphone selector - pins 1-2 is for condenser mic & pins 2-3 is carbon mic. Keep as is.

In the top left corner there is also a jumper selection - looks like it has something to do with the Mitsumi drive?

Thanks for the detailed post, configuring the card now, lets see what happens 😎

I overlooked that jumper (top left), looks like it's to select your CD-drive "Mitsumi/Sony".

I re-installed the card after changing the jumpers (files you posted at the beginning of this thread). SG3.exe now detects the card but gives me an "Incorrect selection of CODEC DMA Channel" error. If I start win 3.11 I get a BSOD - VSGLX16.386 was unable to locate the IRQ of 16-bit audio board. Music still plays in Doom but sound effects have stopped working (selected sound blaster a220, i5, d1 in settings)

AUTOEXEC.BAT:
SET SOUND=C:\SGBA16
SET GALAXY=A220I5D1K2P534T6
SET BLASTER=A220I5 D1 T3
C:\SGBA16\Utility\VOLSET /VC:16,16 /VF:16, 16 /VL:16,16 /VV:16,16 /MC:E

I checked to see if there are any hardware conflicts but none that I can find. LPT1 is on IRQ7

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 21 of 21, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:
Thanks for the detailed post, configuring the card now, lets see what happens :cool: […]
Show full quote
jesolo wrote:
SBIRQ is definitely the IRQ for the Sound Blaster - keep that at IRQ5. I'm not sure what COIRQ is for but, jumper that (for now […]
Show full quote
BeginnerGuy wrote:

COIRQ and SBIRQ. I'm assuming SBIRQ is my Sound Blaster IRQ, which is currently set to 5. No idea what COIRQ is for.

SBIRQ is definitely the IRQ for the Sound Blaster - keep that at IRQ5.
I'm not sure what COIRQ is for but, jumper that (for now) at IRQ10.

BeginnerGuy wrote:

From left to right:
MTDACK, MTDRQ, SNDACK, SNDRQ, PDACK, PDRQ, MTIRQ
I'm not really sure of any of these, but I get the feeling SNDACK and SNDRQ are to select my Sound Blaster DMA? That's just off the top of my head, there are no jumpers on those so that would explain alot.

MTDACK & MTDRQ goes together - these are for the DMA channel for your Mitsumi based CD-ROM drives. On some pictures I've seen, these are usually not jumpered (left open), since most people didn't have such a CD-ROM drive
SNDACK & SNDRQ should be for your Sound Blaster DMA channel but, strangely enough, on most pictures I've seen, none of these are jumpered. However, if you want to jumper them, select DMA channel 1. Normally, SNDACK1 & SNDRQ1 should represent DMA channel 1 and so forth (i.e., make sure the two numbers that are the same are jumpered together).
I have no idea what PDAC & PDRQ (i.e., which component's DMA channel) this represent but, in most pictures I've seen, this is always jumpered the same as in your original picture.
MTIRQ is your IRQ selection for your Mitsumi CD-ROM drive. The default is usually IRQ12 (IRQ15 might conflict with your IDE controller).
I can't quite make out what the jumper selection is (the printout on the PCB) - let me know what the "numbers" at the bottom of each jumper is.

Set up a SET BLASTER statement and a SET GALAXY statement in your Autoexec.bat file (if not already).
Make sure the settings matches your jumper selections.
The SET GALAXY normally has extra parameters but, let me know what the original setup program selected for you as the default parameters.

BeginnerGuy wrote:

SB ADDRESS, GAME PORT (LEFT)
CODEC ADDR, CDROM ADDR (RIGHT)

SB ADDRESS is to either choose 220h or 240h. The left selection is for 220h.
Game port is to either enable (left) or disable.
Don't try and connect your IDE CD-ROM drive to this sound card - it's doesn't have an IDE interface.
CODEC ADDR & CDROM ADDR (normally something like 300h) I would keep as is (most pictures I've seen has it jumpered like yours).

BeginnerGuy wrote:
Other jumpers on the top of the card are: PC SPK (connect PC speaker header to mainboard I presume, not using this) J1 (two pins […]
Show full quote

Other jumpers on the top of the card are:
PC SPK (connect PC speaker header to mainboard I presume, not using this)
J1 (two pins, no idea what its for - currently closed)
JX1 (three pins, no idea - pins 0 and 1 shorted)
SPK1 (four pins - guessing this is PC speaker output)

PC SPK is to connect to the mainboard (bypassing the onboard case speaker).
J1 is your speaker amplification jumper (open for low amplification and close for high amplification).
JX1 is your normally your microphone selector - pins 1-2 is for condenser mic & pins 2-3 is carbon mic. Keep as is.

In the top left corner there is also a jumper selection - looks like it has something to do with the Mitsumi drive?

Thanks for the detailed post, configuring the card now, lets see what happens 😎

I overlooked that jumper (top left), looks like it's to select your CD-drive "Mitsumi/Sony".

I re-installed the card after changing the jumpers (files you posted at the beginning of this thread). SG3.exe now detects the card but gives me an "Incorrect selection of CODEC DMA Channel" error. If I start win 3.11 I get a BSOD - VSGLX16.386 was unable to locate the IRQ of 16-bit audio board. Music still plays in Doom but sound effects have stopped working (selected sound blaster a220, i5, d1 in settings)

AUTOEXEC.BAT:
SET SOUND=C:\SGBA16
SET GALAXY=A220I5D1K2P534T6
SET BLASTER=A220I5 D1 T3
C:\SGBA16\Utility\VOLSET /VC:16,16 /VF:16, 16 /VL:16,16 /VV:16,16 /MC:E

I checked to see if there are any hardware conflicts but none that I can find. LPT1 is on IRQ7

I must admit, this is turning out to be a very interesting Sound Galaxy card.
Which jumpers did you change on the card? If it's complaining about the CODEC DMA channel, then it's possible this is now conflicting with another DMA channel in your system (or your jumpered it incorrectly).
It's possible that COIRQ could refer to the Codec's IRQ. Since this card has a CS4231 Codec (which supports the Windows Sound System), I'm guessing that COIRQ actually refers to the Windows Sound System's IRQ.
On my Sound Galaxy Basic 16, I usually configure this at IRQ10.
At this point, the only jumper settings I'm not sure about is PDACK & PDRQ but, I'm guessing this is your Windows Sound System's (Codec) DMA channel selection.

Just to explain what each of the settings in your SET GALAXY statement refers to:
A220 = Base port of the Sound Galaxy (same as that of your Sound Blaster, which in this case is 220h)
I5 = IRQ of your Sound Galaxy (same as that of your Sound Blaster, which in this case is IRQ5)
K2 = IRQ of your Windows Sound System (I usually configure this at IRQ10 - if you have jumpered COIRQ at 10, then change this value to 10 as well).
P534 = The Base port address of your Windows Sound System (my default is usually 530h and I'm guessing this is what CODEC ADDR does - try changing this value to 530 and see what happens when you run SG3.exe again).
T6 = the Sound Galaxy card type, similar to the one that you see for Sound Blaster cards (has actually no meaning to any software, since no one directly supported Sound Galaxy sound cards).

When you do select the DMA jumper settings, just make sure that the numbers for DAK & DRQ match up (i.e., that you, for example, select both DAK3 & DRQ3 for PDACK & PDRQ respectively). Otherwise, it won't "register" the DMA jumper setting.

PS: The top left jumper - change the selection to Sony and don't jumper either the Mitsumi DMA or IRQ channels. It just takes up unnecessary resources.
Also, I noticed that your SET BLASTER statement ends with T3. Therefore, this card only supports the Sound Blaster 2.0 DSP (i.e., mono voices & digital sound playback).