VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by Elbereth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:
I went back to i865gv due to the fact, that there is no real solution for my purpose. […]
Show full quote

I went back to i865gv due to the fact, that there is no real solution for my purpose.

In short:
- Nvidia: DVI-Output ugly, VGA output not centred !
- ATI: DVI-Output sharp, drivers and compatibility ugly! (Dos-Vesa, Win9x/Win2k drivers do crash my machine, black icons, freezes, argh! no way)
- Intel: VGA sharp and clear, dos-compatiblity excellent ! fast enough for retro-gaming (up to q3 enigine)

Doc

Good info I never even thought to test out the onboard "Intel Extreme graphics" for any DOS purposes I always threw in AGP cards just out of habit. Have an intel and asus 845/865 sitting in storage with onboard intel VGA that I should test out. They had flawless Vesa mode/KVM compatibility now that I think about it.

Reply 21 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I heard some complaints abou intel windows drivers, problems in 3D etc. Theirs VESA BIOS maybe OK. So if it works for you be happy...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 22 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

btw. no scrolling issue in ega-apogee-games (e.g. ddave), color-palette could be fixed with a tool for keen, ccaves.
win3x-drv exits for i815, all others (i845/865) could be patched for 256colors (win3x vesa-drv).
quickview 1.03 finds the vesa 3.0 implementation and displays all images up to truecolor under plain dos.
deluxepaint3x finds the vesa drv and supports up to 1024x768 with an excellent crystal clear and sharp centered image.
jazz2 works with hw-acc for 640x400 which leads to very smooth scrolling.
i am currently experimenting with the i865gv and dgvoodoo/nglide because my thinclint is so small that a v1/2 does not fit in it.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 23 of 31, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what is really interrsting is the fac, that the i865gv supports some dx9features. i have a lot of remakes of old 68k-intros/crackstros.
normally they tell me to install win9x so that they do start, but I have installed win2k that comes with dx7 out of the box and most
of these great cracks remakes do work with dx7 on that intel igp. If I install an ati/nvidia they refuse to load with that same config.

http://cyberpingui.free.fr/realpcremakes.php

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 24 of 31, by Gelip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I tried your NVSC program with the GeForce2 MX400 card via the Dsub cable to the LCD wide monitor and it does not work. Does this program work only via DVI? Unfortunately my card has no DVI output.

Reply 25 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't tested it with analog DSUB but I think there's difference. At least my VGA sends to DVI still the native 1600x1200 with resampled low modes while on DSUB it sends them directly - monitor reports mode changes.So you would need to upgrade VGA to some GF4 or so with DVI to use this feature.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 26 of 31, by Gelip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your response. Yes, I checked it on a newer GeForce 6200 card with a DVI-HDMI connection and it works 😊 😊
NVSC is a cool tool but works only in DOS. I would like the screen to be centered on the POST and CMOS Setup screen and I succeeded. It was enough to edit the bios of the 6200 graphics card in the NiBiTor 6.03 program and enable the Non-Native Panel Control option 😊
On the screen with the native FullHD resolution (1920x1080), the CMOS Setup image is small but at least clear 😀 - something like that:

fullhd_cmos.png
Filename
fullhd_cmos.png
File size
20.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Maybe you know how to modify the bios so that the height occupied the entire screen, eg. CMOS Setup looked like this? :

fullhd_cmos_need.png
Filename
fullhd_cmos_need.png
File size
479.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if nvidia GPU scaler has such option, maybe some LCD monitors also can control scaling some way to not stretch the image on widescreen. Thanfully I still have 4:3 😀

Reply 28 of 31, by Gelip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, my monitor LG 22MT44DP has a 4:3 to 16:9 switch but can not automatically switch 4:3/16:9 - I can only switch manually 🙁

In Windows, NVIDIA 77.72 drivers have an option: Fixed aspect ratio scaling but it works fine only with manually added resolution of 1440x1080 when the height is native. Then the image is centered and occupies the entire screen height.
Another resolution, e.g. 1024x768, 800x600 displays on the right side of the screen and the image is cut off from the left 😠 😕

Reply 29 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, it would need some reverse engineering of nvidia drivers - nobody have time to mess with it...

Reply 30 of 31, by Gelip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RayeR wrote:

Ok, it would need some reverse engineering of nvidia drivers - nobody have time to mess with it...

You do not need to reverse engineering of NVIDIA drivers to solve the problem in Windows. Just add small entry in the Windows registry with 4 bytes from the EDID of our display:
4860874100_1546973096_thumb.jpg

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,C6,59,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

I checked it and it works great even in Windows XP 😊 😊
https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic3536214.html#17686691

Reply 31 of 31, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes this is a workaround only for Windows that use driver to set scaler to preserve aspect ratio. It's good to know this steps to override EDID. But to enable the same for DOS/other systems you would need to know how the scaler is set - how driver programs some specific GPU registers to achieve this to replicate it without driver. And it would be a hard job. If VESA BIOS would support this setting will be easier to reverse VBE function code than whole windows driver.

BTW is it possible to do the same in Win98 with nvidia drivers 7x.xx/8x.xx? Your old GPU is supported in Win98. If so, then you could reboot to DOS from Win98 and scaler setting should be preserved.