VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ignatius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm having problems getting the video drivers to work in DosBox for Windows 98. It seems that no matter which video driver I choose, it will not boot into 256 colors or greater. Every single time I have to login using "safe mode." I'm banging my head over this. Anyone know a solution?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Win9x is not supported in official DOSBox and this forum is for official DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 6, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ignatius wrote:

Hi,

I'm having problems getting the video drivers to work in DosBox for Windows 98. It seems that no matter which video driver I choose, it will not boot into 256 colors or greater. Every single time I have to login using "safe mode." I'm banging my head over this. Anyone know a solution?

Thanks.

DOSBox isn't meant for Windows 98. DOSBox-X however has excellent support for Windows 95 through Windows 98SE that you might try.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 4 of 6, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's an interesting point to clarify: I meant that DOSBox-X supports as a guest Windows 95 through Windows 98SE perfectly fine.

However my understanding is that binary builds of DOSBox/DOSBox-X require at least Windows XP. Who's making binaries that can run under Windows 98? Can they run under Windows 95 with the MSVCRT update needed for Win95 systems?

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Official DOSBox works on Windows 95 with Active Desktop and the SVN still works on 95 as well.

Most unofficial builds of DOSBox do not support lower than XP due to most being built with Visual Studio 2010+

Check my thread for NT3.51+ and 95 (without active desktop) builds
Post 622238

Current posted builds may be hit or miss on NT 3.51 and 9x on some processors due to a bug in mingwrt which I'm still tracking down. I've found a "fix" to compile with the latest mingwrt but I haven't updated the posted builds yet.

Mingw 6.3.0 works with VC6 redist on NT3.51 and 95 on i586+ processors (Haven't tested lower and there's not much point)
Mingw-w64 5.0.2 requires v6.10 msvcrt.dll (from Windows 2000) but works on NT3.51 and 95 on i686 processors

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline