VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone

I have a soundblaster live SB0100. I have been using it with no issues recently until today and suddenly I can't hear anything, unless I turn my speakers up very loud, and then i can hear windows noises and what not. So my card is outputting but not amplifying sound. Co-incedently I had just installed DirectX 8.2 but I hadn't had any sound for a while (was just on the desktop). Could my card be dead?

I have re-installed Windows 98 (I was going to anyway) and just got AGP chipset, Voodoo drivers, Direct X 7 and Soundblaster drivers installed (in that order) and I still have the problem. (I've just realised I needn't have installed the AMD AGP drivers as my voodoo 3 is PCI but I doubt that would cause the issue?)

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 2, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote:

Hi everyone

I have a soundblaster live SB0100. I have been using it with no issues recently until today and suddenly I can't hear anything, unless I turn my speakers up very loud, and then i can hear windows noises and what not. So my card is outputting but not amplifying sound. Co-incedently I had just installed DirectX 8.2 but I hadn't had any sound for a while (was just on the desktop). Could my card be dead?

I have re-installed Windows 98 (I was going to anyway) and just got AGP chipset, Voodoo drivers, Direct X 7 and Soundblaster drivers installed (in that order) and I still have the problem. (I've just realised I needn't have installed the AMD AGP drivers as my voodoo 3 is PCI but I doubt that would cause the issue

First the obvious. Check to see if speaker plug is in correct hole for your config? do the diagnostic speaker tests perform correctly? Any errors showing? Goog chance that the caps have gone bad causing the problem.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.