VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sure this is going to change format and have additional information added/fixed, but I thought I might as well start this post before I forget some stuff I have figured out.

If anybody has anything to add, feel free to post below.

STB UltraSound 32 front.jpg
Filename
STB UltraSound 32 front.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
STB UltraSound 32 back.jpg
Filename
STB UltraSound 32 back.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license

Card Name:
STB Ultrasound 32 Pro/ Interwave Audio w/ Memory

Systems that it originally came in:
Compaq Presario 4700, 4772, 8700, 8702, 8712, 8714, 8760, 8772 (Looks like it was available for Presario 4700/6700/8700 models)

Compaq part numbers:
Assembly - 240110-001
Spare Part - 240112-001

Card specs:
Interwave revision C0 AM78C201AKC(As far as I know it is the newest revision of the Interwave chip)
TEA6330T fader (This is exclusive to the STB cards as far as I know) Probably also the main reason that the other Interwave ROMs / drivers have issues with this card.
256k onboard RAM (J6 is used to enable/disable this)
1MB onboard ROM wavetable
1x 30-pin SIMM slot that will accept up to a 4MB stick of RAM

Files you will want for this card:

Standard GUS PnP v2.2 driver - only for the mixer and information utlities. Edit:(you don't really need this or probably even want it). The Compaq set installs the settings/information utility in the control panel and uses the Windows mixer instead of the Gravis mixer).
You want to run this before you install the 2.36 driver set from Compaq or you will have to reinstall the Compaq set afterwards.
ONLY run setupsw.exe. This installs the Windows utilities and the DOS software. The DOS stuff in this set does NOT work properly with this card.. or maybe it is just the IW.INI file that is not compatible. I think IF the .INI file is edited with the board ID and a few other things it would work. I will come back to this later.

Filename
pnpv22a.zip
File size
1.07 MiB
Downloads
126 downloads
File comment
Standard GUS PnP v2.2
File license

Compaq version 2.36 drivers - the Softpaq extracts to a floppy:
You will want to run pnpmap -f compnew.rom from DOS in order to update the EEPROM map.

Filename
Compaq Softpaq 5223 - ver 2.36 REV A update for Interwave card.zip
File size
1.68 MiB
Downloads
126 downloads
File comment
Softpaq 5223 - ver 2.36 REV A update for Interwave card - contains both the Softpaq and the extracted files
File license

Maxmode to enable Ultrasound MAX support - Initializes the PnP Codec and the mixer. The standard maxmode has version 2.28a of ULTRINIT. See below for the modded one I put together that has ULTRINIT 2.31 which applies the mixer settings so ULTRAMIX is not needed anymore. It should also work with either the Gravis install or the Compaq install. The different installers use different environment variable and default paths.

Filename
maxmode.zip
File size
41.18 KiB
Downloads
116 downloads
File license

Gravis Ultrasound PnP CD - for the 1MB GF1 patch, the 4MB RAM patch and whatever other utilities and games you want to install
http://vogonsdrivers.com/files/ULTRAPNP_CDiso.rar

So the really cool thing about using the stock COMPAQ drivers is that it actually sets up everything and it just works unlike the Gravis drivers. You will see what I mean in the next post.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-10-18, 04:58. Edited 28 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now we will go about flashing to the Gravis PnP ROM and using the Gravis drivers which are a pain to get working in both DOS and Windows 9x because the Windows driver install program kills the DOS drivers. Why Gravis, why?

Note: By going this route, the TEA6330T fader is no longer detected in Windows because the ROM for the standard PnP doesn't have it.

Files we will need:

Filename
p20disk3.zip
File size
51.89 KiB
Downloads
105 downloads
File comment
Gravis PnP firmware
File license

Extract and then update in real DOS mode by running pnpmap -f (whichever ROM you want to use)
GRAVIS.ROM (regular ROM)
GRAVNOCD.ROM (disabled CD-ROM interface.. which is not present on this card anyway)
GRAVOLD.ROM (older version for in case you have trouble with the newer version)

This will also change the ID of the card to GRV0001 so that the Gravis driver set will work, SETUP.EXE for testing and configuring the cards resources will work, and ULTRAMIX in maxmode will find the card.

If you want to use SETUP.EXE to set the cards resources, you will want:

Filename
pnpv22b.zip
File size
1.31 MiB
Downloads
119 downloads
File comment
GUS Pnp DOS drivers and utilities
File license

Run INSTALL.EXE from DOS to do the install of the DOS drivers and utilities. It will auto start SETUP.EXE and let you choose either automatic or manual configuration. The manual configuration will let you test and choose the card's resources.

Once the setup finishes and you reboot your computer, you will want to not boot to windows and make a backup copy of config.sys (This isn't truly necessary, but for some reason it loads iwinit as a device. I am going to do some more research on this and see if it makes a difference for anything. I am not even sure at this point if it stays in RAM after running).

I also had the unfortunate event of it killing the PATH statement so that I can't just type in WIN to load Windows. This may be because of me saying that Windows 3.x was installed and choosing a random folder because I wanted to see exactly what files it installed as well as what .INI changes it made. I'll go back and test this again.

You will also want to make a backup copy of AUTOEXEC.BAT as the windows install messes it up as well as even removes the files needed for the standard DOS configuration to work.

Once you boot into Windows, before installing anything else, you will want to make a backup copy of the install folder (default is C:\GRAVIS) as once you run the windows install it deletes some files including SETUP.EXE.

Get pnpv22a.zip from the first post. This has the Windows drivers and utilities on it.

Once you boot into Windows, it will detect the Gravis card and ask for drivers. Point it to the folder where you extracted this zip to.

Then you can run SETUP.EXE to install the other windows stuff, ini file changes, etc. It will then ask to reboot the computer. Once it comes back up, it will auto run setupsw.exe to install the Windows utilities and the DOS drivers, and switch autoexec/bat to get the configuration from the Windows folder to the Gravis\Ultrasnd folder.

However it does not actually put any of the DOS initialization stuff in Autoexec.bat so you will need to manually re-add that if you want it. You can just make it call iwinit which is in the Gravis\Ultrasnd folder after the other Gravis lines.

In my limited experience the GUS PnP configuration (SETUP.EXE) that gets installed with the DOS drivers from pnpv22a should really be run first in order to set the cards resources so the card will actually work in both DOS and Windows without causing any resource conflicts. Why the Windows installer kills it makes no sense. Seems like they really needed to spend a bit more time to make the DOS and Windows driver installs work properly together.

Now you can have fun fixing the DOS setup via your previously backed up GRAVIS folder as well as the backed up Autoexec.bat and possibly Config.sys.

But, look on the bright side, maxmode should load properly and whatever else looks for the specific card ID should work as well.

4. maxmode from the previous post if you want to enable MAX support.

5. The GUS PnP CD from the previous post so you can install the 1MB GF1 pacth and the 4MB RAM patch as well as whatever other utilities and games you want to install that are included on the CD.

NOTE: From the little bit of testing I have done so far, the sound quality between the Compaq and Gravis drivers seems the same. The Compaq drivers are definitely newer from what I can tell. The modified date date on the files is 10/28/1997, AND the versioning is using the newer Windows versioning system instead of the Gravis 2.26 version.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-10-15, 22:03. Edited 8 times in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After looking at the Compaq and Gravis ROM files, it looks like I can make a combined file that will let us use the PTELLAR TEA6330 chip of the Compaq card while having the extra compatibility of the Gravis card.

I'll have to modify the driver .INF as well since the device IDs for the different devices on the card are different between the two cards and driver sets.

Everything is very well documented in the ROM files so it should not take too much work to patch it all together in a glorious way more compatible ROM and driver set for the Compaq card.

EDIT 1:
Making progress. Looks like editing the compnew.rom file worked wonderfully.

Still using the Compaq 2.36 driver set. Looks like everything that looks for the Gravis Ultrasound PnP Pro card ID works.

Tested with:
SETUP.EXE from pnpv22b.zip
iwavecfg from the Interwave EEPROM configuration tool
prepgame - this is especially important for this card as it is the auto patcher to fix recognized games to work with the GUS PnP /Pro.

I did not have to modify the Compaq 2.36 driver .INF at all. It just works.

Still working on a modified maxmode as I am still not able to get ultramix to load. Not sure what is going on and not sure if it is even needed at all. I need to look at the working config that another vogoner sent me. They were using the DOS drivers from pnpv22b.zip along with the initialization sequence it sets up.

Really want to get everything working with the Compaq 2.36 driver set as there really is 0 reason to run the standard Gravis drivers if I can get it working... unless I find some newer files than the ones from the Compaq set.

Once I get everything figured out and tested more, I'll attach my modified ROM here. It has been 20 years since a new ROM was released for this card 🤣

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-10-14, 07:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This post if for modified drivers, apps, ROMs.

First up is MAXMODE Revived.
The original maxmode used ULTRINIT 2.28a and ULTRAMIX. ULTRAMIX was not detecting the card on my setup so the mixer settings would not load
and it was also only meant to work with the drive pack from Gravis.

MAXMODE Revived uses ULTRINIT 2.31 which is ULTRAMIX compliant. It loads the mixer settings by itself so there is no need to ULTRAMIX.
It is also made to work with both the Gravis released driver as well as the Compaq driver set.
I would very much like to get a few people to test that either have a regular Gravis Ultrasound PnP/Pnp Pro or are using the Gravis driver set.

Filename
MAXMODE Revived.zip
File size
24.91 KiB
Downloads
104 downloads
File comment
MAXMODE Revived - Uses ULTRINIT 2.31 and should work with both the Gravis driver release as well as the Compaq driver set.
File license

Next up is the modded 2.36 driver set and EEPROM map. See the readme.txt file for instructions on installation.
The modded EEPROM map simply changes the vendor ID to GRV0001 so that software that looks for the vendor ID will work.
The driver has the MOD player driver included, the IW.INI file vendor ID changed as well as some other fixes relating to the installer/uninstaller.
For those of you with a regular Ultrasound PnP/PnP Pro, you may want to get this just for the newer version of IWSBOS, which is 1.45. The version included in the 2.2 driver set is 1.43.

Filename
Compaq Interwave Softpaq 5228 - ver 2.36 modded.zip
File size
827.52 KiB
Downloads
129 downloads
File license

If anybody wants the 2.36 driver set modified for the regular PnP/PnP Pro, let me know and I will put together a package. I may do it anyway but will need somebody to test
as I don't have a regular PnP or PnP Pro.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-10-18, 04:55. Edited 4 times in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 38, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No replies but a very interesting topic. Thanks.
Latest GUS/Interwave card ever together with Core Dynamics DynaSonic series.
i have some questions

Are all Compaq card Rev.C PCB? Or is difference between cards with black or white SIMM slot?

Are all Compaq STB cards with 256kB RAM? Retail STB Sound Rage Pro without slots were with standard 512kB like GUS PnP Pro.

Have you pinout for P5 and unused P3 internal connectors?

Have you original manual from Compaq?

BTW:
what happened if you put a 16MB SIMM into the slot? Only 4MB are detected?

Reply 6 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. I don't know if there is a difference between the white and black socket boards. I only have the one.

2. The few different ones that I could read the writing on the onboard RAM chip in the pictures were all 256KB.

3. I don't have the pinout.

4. I don't have the original manual. I'll have to check and see if I can find a copy of the manual for one of the models it came in though.

5. With the 16MB SIMM I have onhand, the card detected it as 256KB. Very strange.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 38, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep up the good work.
I have a Compaq Ultrasound 32 myself and ran into the same issues as you. I realised that, in order for the card to work with the Prepgame utility, I had to change the firmware to the GUS PnP's. However, once you've run it on your game, then you can switch back

On your last point - as I recall, there is a jumper you must set in order for the card to "see" the external memory.

Unfortunately, my card is in storage right now and I don't have the time to test out your drivers but, as soon as I find the time I'll try it out.

Reply 8 of 38, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HY514260 is a 256K*16 DRAM - therefore having a total capacity of 512KiB of RAM.
Did you check the bank configuration in the Windows driver/XTC-Play? I suppose something went wrong there or for some reason only 1 bank is utilized at most by the hardware.
Do you have a multimeter? If so check if pins 94 and 95 of the InterWave go to pin 28/29 on the HY514260 (Pin95 might potentially go to a jumperpost)

Has been a while since I had mine in use. Is your extremely noisey as well?

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 9 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:
Keep up the good work. I have a Compaq Ultrasound 32 myself and ran into the same issues as you. I realised that, in order for t […]
Show full quote

Keep up the good work.
I have a Compaq Ultrasound 32 myself and ran into the same issues as you. I realised that, in order for the card to work with the Prepgame utility, I had to change the firmware to the GUS PnP's. However, once you've run it on your game, then you can switch back

On your last point - as I recall, there is a jumper you must set in order for the card to "see" the external memory.

Unfortunately, my card is in storage right now and I don't have the time to test out your drivers but, as soon as I find the time I'll try it out.

Oh.. the one jumper does disable the onboard 256KB RAM, but I didn't have to do anything to make it recognize a 4MB stick properly, which is what the Interwave cards are supposed to support per slot as far as I know.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 38, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

[...] but I didn't have to do anything to make it recognize a 4MB stick properly, which is what the Interwave cards are supposed to support per slot as far as I know.

That is correct. 10 memory adress lines + 4 Bankselect signals.

[Z?]

Reply 11 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:
HY514260 is a 256K*16 DRAM - therefore having a total capacity of 512KiB of RAM. Did you check the bank configuration in the Win […]
Show full quote

HY514260 is a 256K*16 DRAM - therefore having a total capacity of 512KiB of RAM.
Did you check the bank configuration in the Windows driver/XTC-Play? I suppose something went wrong there or for some reason only 1 bank is utilized at most by the hardware.
Do you have a multimeter? If so check if pins 94 and 95 of the InterWave go to pin 28/29 on the HY514260 (Pin95 might potentially go to a jumperpost)

Has been a while since I had mine in use. Is your extremely noisey as well?

With no stick of RAM installed, the Windows utility shows only 256KB of RAM onboard. I'll take a look with a multimeter. Do the pins numbers on the Interwave chip go up in number clockwise or counterclockwise from pin 1?

Mine is not really noisy at all from what I could tell. Then again I am using a newer ATX Seasonic PSU which would most likely have way better voltage regulation and way less noise than older power supplies.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 38, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Counterclockwise, starting at the bottom right.
Pin 81 should be on the upper left, increasing downwards.

[Z?]

Reply 13 of 38, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No idea what's wrong with your card. This is using the 2.24 InterWave drivers by compaq (original GUS PnP drivers are 2.23) - 512k available via the onboard RAM.
https://i.imgur.com/KTQgMub.jpg

[Z?]

Reply 14 of 38, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shock__ wrote:

No idea what's wrong with your card. This is using the 2.24 InterWave drivers by compaq (original GUS PnP drivers are 2.23) - 512k available via the onboard RAM.
https://i.imgur.com/KTQgMub.jpg

What program is that? Maybe the Windows utility is just not showing the correct thing.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 38, by nickmudd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the necro, first time poster. I don't find much other info out there on this card. I'm attempting to get this card running on dos 6.22/win 3.1 486 I'm putting together. I'm trying to run pnpmap to change the firmware but it says "interwave card not found". I'm positive this is the right card, I pulled it out of a compaq years ago, but it's been sitting for years in a bin with other spare cards.

Reply 18 of 38, by nickmudd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
suntac wrote:

Try cleaning the edge connector's gold fingers. If the card is not dirty, it might have been damaged by ESD, though.

Good point. This was all in storage, I cleaned the ISA slot with contact cleaner but probably should have done something else for the card.

Reply 19 of 38, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nickmudd wrote:

I'm attempting to get this card running on dos 6.22/win 3.1 486 I'm putting together. I'm trying to run pnpmap to change the firmware but it says "interwave card not found".

Some of the tools need Plug and Play support to work. Is your 486 recent enough to have a decent Plug and Play BIOS? If not, you will need a configuration manager; see this thread for details.

Some of the Gravis cards also had a jumper to disable Plug and Play features on the card. If yours also has one, make sure it is not disabled.