VOGONS

Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 549, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got mine in as well. Can't test it right now, my Voodoo system is still in pieces. In the next few days, I'll try to start getting it put back together.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 322 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can still make up to 20pcs with the parts I have here now,
so just PM me if interested.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 325 of 549, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine came in earlier today, I can't get it working right now because I've discovered that my 32MB EDO SIMM is dead (I tested the SIMM on another computer to make sure). I'll test it with the other sticks that I have later which include an 8MB stick in my spare RAM bag and another 32MB stick that's currently in my Performa. Fingers crossed on getting this working by the time my replacement 32MB SIMM arrives.

Thank you for doing this project, Dreamblaster.

Reply 326 of 549, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate to have to double-post, but after trying three different SIMMs, my SIMMConn is not working with my CT4500 😠. Here is the list of SIMMs I've tried:

- Motorola MCM32230SH70 (8MB 72pin FPM)
- MemoryMasters 32MB EDO SIMM 72PIN (has HY5117404B chips)
- Fairchild 8117405A-60 UG16M83222KBT-6 (32MB 72P EDO)

With the SIMMConn installed: AWE Control Panel reports "0KB of 0KB available", and DIAGNOSE.EXE just skips the DRAM test.
Without the SIMMConn installed: AWE Control Panel reports "512KB of 512KB available", and DIAGNOSE.EXE does the DRAM test as it should.

I've tried all appropriate jumper settings described on the PCB as well as the single jumper on the 3rd row trick.
And if it matters, the number on my PCB is SO-03020-B

Is it possible that you sent me the Gold model by mistake? Do I have to set specific jumpers on the AWE64 sound card?

And yes, I did check the orientation and made sure the pins were lined up correctly.

Reply 327 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

Is it possible that you sent me the Gold model by mistake? Do I have to set specific jumpers on the AWE64 sound card?

Can you check the sticker on the PAL chip ? --> it says 'GOLD', 'VALUE' or 'UNI' depending on the version flashed into it.
Jumpers : put the jumper on the 3rd position and use with 32mbyte SIMMs. This is the combination that seemed to work fine for most.
Let me know if you get it working or not. As these are hand soldered, I could have made a mistake as well, can you send me a photo by PM ?
I will send you a new one, if we cannot get this solved, of course.

Reply 328 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
I hate to have to double-post, but after trying three different SIMMs, my SIMMConn is not working with my CT4500 >:(. Here is th […]
Show full quote

I hate to have to double-post, but after trying three different SIMMs, my SIMMConn is not working with my CT4500 😠. Here is the list of SIMMs I've tried:

With the SIMMConn installed: AWE Control Panel reports "0KB of 0KB available", and DIAGNOSE.EXE just skips the DRAM test.
Without the SIMMConn installed: AWE Control Panel reports "512KB of 512KB available", and DIAGNOSE.EXE does the DRAM test as it should.

I've tried all appropriate jumper settings described on the PCB as well as the single jumper on the 3rd row trick.
And if it matters, the number on my PCB is SO-03020-B

And yes, I did check the orientation and made sure the pins were lined up correctly.

Have you tried a 32MB FPM / Fast-Page / Not-EDO stick in it to see if that works better?

Reply 329 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:

Have you tried a 32MB FPM / Fast-Page / Not-EDO stick in it to see if that works better?

That should not be an issue. I have used the adapter with no issues using Viking VG2617405DJ-6 EDO ram without issues.

EDIT: I checked the RAM you are using, the chip densities should not be causing the issues..

Is your card in an ISA slot that is a Master? Not sure if it would make a difference, but a possible cause?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 330 of 549, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a CT4500, and I have on my new simmconn the MemoryMasters 32MB EDO SIMM 72PIN (has HY5117404B chips) that you have.

Diagnose v4.05 finds 28mb ram just fine.

jumper is on pin3 across jp1/jp2 as said above. flash chip says uni.

I load ctcm.exe from config.sys, ctpnp.cfg must be c:\ everything works fine for me.

v2K2JUGh.jpg

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 332 of 549, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you guys for helping me with this situation, I will thoroughly check the solder joints on the chips when I have time to do so now that I know the RAM is not the problem. I noticed just now that the U1 chip looks like it has some questionable solder legs.

appiah4 wrote:

Is your card in an ISA slot that is a Master? Not sure if it would make a difference, but a possible cause?

My motherboard (ASUS P2B-VE) has only one ISA slot. So I doubt that's the problem, I can put the CT4500 into my P1MMX rig for testing if that helps.

One important question to ask: Can 72-pin SIMM pins get rusted or damaged by repeatedly reseating it in the slot? I've been switching SIMMs back and fourth as well as reseating the same SIMM a few times to rule out the connection, and I want to make sure I didn't damage my SIMMs in the testing process.

Reply 333 of 549, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

One important question to ask: Can 72-pin SIMM pins get rusted or damaged by repeatedly reseating it in the slot?

Rusted? no. Damaged? Theoretically yes, but unlikely. The socket is much more prone to physical damaged than the SIMM itself.

Reading through this, reminds me I need to test the two simmconns I got last month.

Reply 334 of 549, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been unable to get either of my simmconns to work 🙁 I have tried multiple 32MB simms, FPM & EDO, 60ns timing on both. I am trying to use them with a AWE64 Gold CT4390. To verify the simmconn functionality, I am running the diagnose.exe program and it detects the built in 4MB every time.

Pictures: Installed, simms

Reply 335 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, not every SIMM that fits the socket works fine,
so here's a 'compatibility list', from what I know from the thread now,
If you have your simmconn working fine, please list in this thread
soundcard type + simmconn type + exact memory module type.
(maybe a photo of the memory module to avoid confusion)
I will try to update the text here as well.

OK :

Batyra results :
I used 6 different 32MB modules (double sided):
- HYUNDAI HY5117400C J-60
- LGS GM71c17400AJ6
- SIEMENS HYB5117405BJ-60
- OKI M5117405A-60SJ
- MIT 417409DJ EDO-60
- M.tec TBE1604A2A60
--->
- AWE64 Gold CT4540 with Gold SimmConn - all 6 worked
- AWE64 Gold CT4540 with Universal SimmConn - all 6 worked
- AWE64 Value CT4520 with Universal SimmConn - all 6 worked
- AWE64 Value CT4500 with Universal SimmConn - all 6 worked
- AWE64 Value CT4380 with Universal SimmConn - all 6 worked

Appiah4 results :
AWE Value with Simmconn Value : 32MB SIMM with 16 Vanguard VG2617405DJ modules, double sided : O:

BloodyCactus :
- CT4500, simmconn UNIVERSAL : MemoryMasters 32MB EDO SIMM 72PIN (has HY5117404B chips) : OK

Gerwin :
SimmConn Universal + AWE64 Gold + 8MB 60ns Double-sided FPM memory module (16x Vanguard VG264400BJ-6 chips) : OK

Not OK :

KCompRoom2000 : Universal Not working on CT4500

the Goat :
Universal on CT4390 :
- SM32T16F44-60-H3PL ACL 32MB 72 : diagnoses 4mbyte

Last edited by dreamblaster on 2017-11-05, 21:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 336 of 549, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

I received a SimmConn Universal - Solder kit - this week and assembled it this afternoon. It was then installed on an AWE64 Gold together with a 8MB 60ns Double-sided FPM memory module. SimmConn Jumpers were set accordingly. 12582912 Bytes patch RAM is detected. The Diagnose.exe DRAM test passed OK, and I am currently playing midi music using the 8MBGM EMU Soundfont. So that is neat; Thanks Xu/SIMMconn and Serge for making this possible!

For your information: This SIMM has 16x Vanguard VG264400BJ-6 chips. It would fit the green colored 'Tested-OK' section above.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 337 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

For your information: This SIMM has 16x Vanguard VG264400BJ-6 chips. It would fit the green colored 'Tested-OK' section above.

okay, added to the text, in green
thanks!

Reply 338 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Y'all should just pick up a few Kingston 72-pin 32MB chips. I haven't tested mine yet with the simmconn revival, but I have 6 x kingston 32MB 72-pin modules in a box in the other room. Kingston is pretty much generally guaranteed to always work with everything. That's usually the big point of their ram.

Reply 339 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the Goat wrote:

I have been unable to get either of my simmconns to work 🙁 I have tried multiple 32MB simms, FPM & EDO, 60ns timing on both. I am trying to use them with a AWE64 Gold CT4390. To verify the simmconn functionality, I am running the diagnose.exe program and it detects the built in 4MB every time.

Pictures: Installed, simms

Jumper is set wrong for 32mb on the photo it should have been 2-3 for both Jp1 and Jp2 (at least on my Value board) you shorted 3 on Jp1 and Jp2 with each other?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.