VOGONS

$50 ebay AT system purchase

Topic actions

First post, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bit of a mystery purchase here... was looking for an AT case and found this instead and went for it. Took my offer of $50 shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232534629717

Turns out it sports the following: 250W AT PSU, Pentium MMX 233MHz, 128MB SIMM RAM, 24X CD-ROM drive, 3.5" floppy drive, 2MB Trident TGUI 9680-1 PCI video card, 3COM 3C509B-TPO ISA ethernet card, and some USB PCI card.

Added in a 20GB 7200RPM hard drive and a Yamaha YMF-719 ISA sound card to replace the Opti ISA sound card it came with. No issues, was able to fix a dent in the case and now the cover slides in correctly. I'm probably gonna get a better video card for it, something with 4MB. Also would like to fill in the empty drive bay with either a DVD drive or a 5.25" floppy drive if I can find one that's not crazy expensive. The only complaint is the Cooler Master fan is quite loud. Would like a quieter fan.

Pictures https://imgur.com/a/hV6TC

Last edited by oeuvre on 2017-11-04, 01:46. Edited 1 time in total.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1 of 25, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had something similar occur - I bought an AT flip top case and inside it was a full (minus hard disk) working 386 setup.

😁

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 2 of 25, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

The only complaint is the Cooler Master fan is quite loud. Would like a quieter fan.

The heatsink under it seems bigger than usual for socket 7. You could probably get away with running the fan at 5V and still have acceptable CPU temperatures.

Reply 3 of 25, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw this in the haul thread before you made a separate post, and... awesome score!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 4 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! Just bought a DVD-ROM drive to fill in that gap for cheap and a 4MB Matrox Millennium as well.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also I removed that IMS badge and want to replace it with a Pentium MMX sticker; know of a good place to find them?

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 6 of 25, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome find, that case looks like it's in great shape, very clean looking!

oeuvre wrote:

Also I removed that IMS badge and want to replace it with a Pentium MMX sticker; know of a good place to find them?

I've bought a couple case badge/stickers from some seller on eBay that makes a bunch of 'em. The Pentium MMX badge that he sells looks good to me, but have not seen it myself in person. However, it should be noted it's the wrong size for that badge spot on your case (not a perfect square, and I think it might be just a bit too tall). Not sure if there are any other places to get these from (IMHO it would be nice to get one that matches the original sticker's little bit of colour).

EDIT: Actually here you go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Intel-Penti … 31/112625595502 (never bought from this guy so cannot vouch for him ... might be others available too).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 7 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought the 2nd one you linked, thank you!

Finally have some more time today to play around with it. Work gets in the way

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yeah, one more thing. It arrived like this, the pictures didn't really show the front bezel having some plastic worn off. Any ideas how to fix it or source a replacement bezel?

Attachments

• 20171105_174535.jpg
    Filename
    20171105_174535.jpg
    File size
    688.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 9 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I could be your buddy and tell you to forget it and look out for a new one, or I could be evil and tell you to look up "ABS repair LABS" on youtube (may involve camper roofs, principles the same)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Upon closer inspection I could just replace the front bezel which would work fine. Sourcing them is the issue.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 11 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, well. Found an 80mm fan in a drawer lying around and stuck that onto the heatsink, replacing the loud Cooler Master fan. Runs much quieter.

And replaced the Trident 2MB TGUI 9860-1 video card with a Matrox Millennium 4MB.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 12 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I would like to know is how you managed to get this for $50 shipped. Wouldn't shipping alone be $50? I know Americans get everything for about half the cost of everyone else, but this still has me mystified. Have US shipping rates dropped? Did the guy sell it for 1 cent? Does it have something to do with the new America-first legislation in which shipping within the USA is free?

That case badge you posted, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Intel-Penti … 31/112625595502 , for a $2 sticker, he wants $75 to ship it to Canada.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 13 of 25, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Well, well. Found an 80mm fan in a drawer lying around and stuck that onto the heatsink, replacing the loud Cooler Master fan. Runs much quieter.

I may have to do something similar, although I have a much smaller heatsink on my P1 233. Can you put up a pic of how you rigged the 80mm fan to it? I'm assuming the mounting holes are spaced wider than the heatsink.

Reply 14 of 25, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

That case badge you posted, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Intel-Penti … 31/112625595502 , for a $2 sticker, he wants $75 to ship it to Canada.

Oh wow, I didn't look at the shipping cost when I posted that link.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 15 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cliffclaven wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

I may have to do something similar, although I have a much smaller heatsink on my P1 233. Can you put up a pic of how you rigged the 80mm fan to it? I'm assuming the mounting holes are spaced wider than the heatsink.

I just put one screw through a corner hole of the fan... it sticks out but it works.

Attachments

• vcx.PNG
    Filename
    vcx.PNG
    File size
    5.88 KiB
    Views
    File license

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 16 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other way to do it is find a flowerpot or soda bottle that works well as a duct. There's some plumbing parts work too, like 3" to 2.5" 45* adapter. There is actually a huge problem with dead spots in the middle under the fan motor, you know, right where the die and all the heat is.... which is why copper based sinks help hotter CPUs... and offset fans or ducted down fans can help with this. I found actually that I could cool an overclocked AXP with a 1st gen duron (sub 1ghz) aluminum based sink, with a mere 25cfm blower, because i) it blew right in the middle of the sink and ii) blowers have 3 times the pressure of fans at least, so instead of the air stalling on the top of the fins it was actually penetrating well into sink.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 17 of 25, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
feipoa wrote:

What I would like to know is how you managed to get this for $50 shipped. Wouldn't shipping alone be $50? I know Americans get everything for about half the cost of everyone else, but this still has me mystified. Have US shipping rates dropped? Did the guy sell it for 1 cent? Does it have something to do with the new America-first legislation in which shipping within the USA is free?

I shipped full size AT case and older server atx cases for around 20$. If you buy your shipping label on paypal you get a good discount. And if you ship usps parcel select you can save alot of money. But not every plcae is so cheap, I shipped cases were the cost was well over 100$.
Its all about the shipping zone your in.

Reply 18 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also the Greyhound trick, great for larger/bulkier but short of needing a skid and forklift items, seller drops off at greyhound terminal, you pick up at your greyhound terminal.. travels in the back of a bus. It's sorted from one bus to another usually so handling ( i.e. dropping, being kicked down ramps etc) is minimised.

Reply 19 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bit of an update, no progress on repairing the damage but it does have a 5.25" floppy drive now

Attachments

• 20171110_150354.jpg
    Filename
    20171110_150354.jpg
    File size
    594.83 KiB
    Views
    File license

ws90Ts2.gif