Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 640 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, newest thing for me. Pretty new. My barely 1-month old video card got completely disassembled down to the bare PCB today. Then rubbed over with electrical contact cleaner on the spots where thermal pads go. Then.. converted to water, yay! 😲 😀

Naked GTX 1080 Ti:
MWv7Grb.jpg

New waterblock mounted:
xOor5g7.jpg

*dances* so happy. Now on water runs 2125 Mhz core speed and 6300 Mhz Ram (12,600 Mhz effective). Average temps under most games now, even at 2125 Mhz: 33c - 35c, Max temps during rare unoptimized sections of some stupid games where the gpu actually gets to 99% for about 5 minutes: 49c. 😎

Reply 642 of 2070, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It goes to eleven! 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 643 of 2070, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Stojke wrote:
That "one" missing memory chip... http://ragemaker.net/images/Angry/eye%20twitch.png […]
Show full quote

That "one" missing memory chip...
eye%20twitch.png

If it had that chip

giphy.gif

Reply 644 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea why that chip's missing, it's just how nvidia chose to do it. I'm guessing here, but I do think that the 1080 Ti's being 352-bit ram configuration, this is how they limited it to that. The titan X and Titan Xp cards are 384-bit memory configuration. I think they probably have that 12'th chip installed, I'm guessing. I haven't seen a tear down to see one naked yet to compare. The titan series pascal cards do have 12GB ram too and my 1080 Ti only has 11, so pretty sure that's also what that extra chip does.

About speed though.. the Titan series cards run at 480 GB/s, and max for Titan Xp of 547.7 GB/s (quoting wikipeida here). But mine that runs at 12600 ram speed, with my overclock under water is doing 554.4 GB/s so it's still a tad faster, even missing 1 ram chip.

I'm quite happy with it.

Reply 645 of 2070, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Yeah I heard grate things about the 1080ti cards from their owners alot.
By the way what block is that?

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-11-06, 04:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 646 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Yeah I hard grate things about the 1080ti cards. By the way what block is that?

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-geforce-gtx-fe

Also with proper matching backplate as well: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-1080-gtx-ti-backplate-nickel

My crappy stupid little video trying to show it in better detail is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vOhHDfV3Bw

Reply 648 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, EK Block from EKWEB. 😀 Loving it. Updated my post up there with more info for you. I went with pure copper here to try and maintain a pure-copper loop so there's as little galvanic corrosion as possible. Bronze (copper alloy) radiator, nickel-plated copper cpu waterblock and fittings, and pure-copper gpu block.

Reply 649 of 2070, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did watercooling once. Full out setup from danger den. Dropped like $400 total, for about 4 degrees cooler.

So you can say it burned me pretty badly.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 650 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I did watercooling once. Full out setup from danger den. Dropped like $400 total, for about 4 degrees cooler.

It's a huuuuuuuuge difference today. I was having idle temps around 40c - 45c and load temps in ark evolved about mid-70's, 75c - 77c range before on air cooling. Now on the waterblock, it idles at 17c - 24c, and load temps top out at max 43c - 45c. And that's even with a big overclock and lots of voltage on it vs stock.

Reply 651 of 2070, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

Something is up, Ether something was wrong with the loop, you had some really high RPM fans in the dead of winter on you air cooling setup or went from high end air setup to a low end water setup.

I seen drops as much as 30C with water cooling and 15-20c is typical for a good loop. But then again its not hard to fudge up and get the setup wrong, even some premade kits make me scratch my head. So many variables with water cooling unlike air.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-11-06, 04:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 652 of 2070, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it was for a socket 478 presshot chip. I dont overclock anymore. Just isn't worth the hassle for 5 more fps in gal-civ3.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 653 of 2070, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

Well it was for a socket 478 presshot chip. I dont overclock anymore. Just isn't worth the hassle for 5 more fps in gal-civ3.

Ok that makes a lot more since. I can't recall one good 478 block dangerden made. Their cpu's blocks did not get all the good until the 775 days. Most blocks from the time sucked anyway. We have come along ways with water cooling.

Reply 654 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

For me it's about reduction of noise. There's two ways you can go about running a video card. "The normal way" which may have fans as much as 70% - 80% speed to run a gpu at 70c - 80c and be loud, and noisy. Or water cool it, put it on an oversized radiator, and then run 2 sets of fans on either side of the radiator and run all fans at 25% and achieve near-silence while still reducing operating temperatures as much as -30c to -35c, which will prolong the life of the component.

Reply 655 of 2070, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One week ago i got a cheap HP Proliant DL580 G7 with two Xeon X7560 cpus, 8GB ram, 2x 1200w PSUs. Wanted to spec it up with two more CPUs, more ram and two extra PSUs. Ended up today buying another fully loaded server with 4x X7550 cpus, 32GB ram and 4x 1200w PSU for a god price. Even ordered some Xeon E7-8837 cpus from china. Problem now is to hide them from my wife 🤣

ProliantDL580G7.jpg
Filename
ProliantDL580G7.jpg
File size
78.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 656 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scraphoarder wrote:

One week ago i got a cheap HP Proliant DL580 G7 with two Xeon X7560 cpus, 8GB ram, 2x 1200w PSUs. Wanted to spec it up with two more CPUs, more ram and two extra PSUs. Ended up today buying another fully loaded server with 4x X7550 cpus, 32GB ram and 4x 1200w PSU for a god price. Even ordered some Xeon E7-8837 cpus from china. Problem now is to hide them from my wife 🤣

ProliantDL580G7.jpg

With the noise that thing makes when running.. I'm sure you'll have a problem hiding it from her. Those things scream about as loud as a vacuum cleaner. They're really not designed for home use. That.. and I'm pretty sure you'll have to use multiple different circuits in the house just to power it on at all. A Single household circuit can't handle even powering it on.

Reply 658 of 2070, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

With the noise that thing makes when running.. I'm sure you'll have a problem hiding it from her. Those things scream about as loud as a vacuum cleaner. They're really not designed for home use. That.. and I'm pretty sure you'll have to use multiple different circuits in the house just to power it on at all. A Single household circuit can't handle even powering it on.

Hehe 😊 It will go in the basement and will act as a heater for the winter. A 16A 230V circuit will proably be enough. All PSU are for redundancy and they will never draw full power if all are in place.

Reply 659 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scraphoarder wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Hehe 😊 It will go in the basement and will act as a heater for the winter. A 16A 230V circuit will proably be enough. All PSU are for redundancy and they will never draw full power if all are in place.

It's not just redundancy. HP multi-PSU rackmount servers also do real time load balancing. They're designed to be split up across multiple circuits, but you can connect all the power supplies to one power strip and 1 circuit. Just don't run the entire server on only 1 PSU at a time with the others disconnected. Very real chance you can burn out the 1 PSU that way in a short time. Those things are designed to operate with all power supplies all connected to power and operating at the same time, even if just 1 circuit. If it has 4 power supplies, and it needs 800 watts, for example, it would run 200 on each unit, vs 800 on 1 if you only had one connected and running.