VOGONS

First post, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I am ignorant but I figured that the fact that Creative allowed me to modify the SoundFont banks on my sound blaster would allow me to modify the General MIDI output for DOS/Windows games that use General MIDI. Thus far whenever I load a sound font in the Audio HQ software I notice no change whatsoever to General MIDI output (testing with Warcraft 2 in DOS/Windows). Am I missing a crucial step? Id like to know maybe exactly what the soundfont capability of the sound blaster live 5.1 was used for and what it can/can't do. Maybe thats what I a missing.

Thanks!

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 1 of 3, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 command.com cannot utilize the soundfont synth. It will use the Ensoniq based synth with only 3 official .ecw files. If you want to use soundfonts with Warcraft in Windows 98 you will have to use Dosbox.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 3, by nebular

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You say that Win98 command.com can't use soundfont synth, however an older topic on here has a number of post talking about playing DOS games with changed soundfonts? Did these guys just not notice that the sound was always the same?

Reply 3 of 3, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Under Win9x you can use either the VXD or the WDM drivers. The Vxd drivers can only use the Ensoniq based synth under Win9x's DOS sessions. But with WDM drivers SB HW midi/SF2 soundfonts should work.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper