VOGONS

SC-55 setup with AWE64 for noobs?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by quailstorm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We tried Win98SE, WinME and FreeDOS (with softMPU too).
AMD K6-2 350MHz+192MB RAM, nVidia Vanta 16MB. Pentium II Celeron 400MHz 256MB RAM and S3 Savage4 32MB.
Note that these are not my DOSgaming computers, that one does not turn on anymore, only fans spin...

We both have this cable, can it be wrongly wired? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/l … 8e3033e0ca1.jpg

We were unable to push out a single note on the gameport cable. Only USB and physical MPU-401 worked... We tried about 4 soundcards. PnP and non PnP SB16, AWE64, Vibra16.

[off]Currently I am busy with my university studies. I ordered USB MIDI, which I can use with the SC-55 on my current desktop with DosBOX. Will retry this gameport stuff later when I get some time. I don't see any chance to get an MPU-401 anyway. If you have advice feel free to share, it will be appreciated. I don't say I will test it quickly, but will consider it for sure.[/off]

Reply 21 of 26, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess it's time to check whether that MIDI gameport cable actually is soldered correctly. Is it the one that's sold by that one Ebay seller who always has many of them?

(I actually bought one of those cables but didn't try it yet, so if yours is from the same source I should maybe check my own cable...)

Reply 22 of 26, by quailstorm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, this is about 20 years old. I bought it second hand locally, but the owner never used it. I don't like the design to be honest, the cable is in the way on ISA cards, it is only okay with PCI ones...

Reply 23 of 26, by quailstorm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Merry Christmas guys! I am back with a status report.

Long story short, it was the cable...

Here is a flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/quailland/album … 157688674909422

I bought another cable, which looks like this:
39261429971_aa91a1c2dd_b.jpg
Notice the two transistors which turn the UART MIDI out of the computer to a standard current based signal.

The original cable which I suffered with looks like this:

39261431611_6954a8b828_b.jpg

25394349238_e2d23918d7_b.jpg

It only has the optocoupler for input, but on the output nothing at all, just resistors. No wonder it did not work.

I will try to fix this later with a NAND gate probably.

Reply 24 of 26, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A passive output like that will work fine if the sound card has a low impedance 5V MIDI pin. A transistor buffered output is certainly better, but the second converter should work in most circumstances.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder