Reply 7160 of 27168, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:
Eleanor1967 wrote:
luckybob wrote:
[...] and a PCI multi I/O card. Why mention a pci I/O card? it has space for FLOPPY disks. Oh this one will be fun. ^.^ […]
Show full quote

[...] and a PCI multi I/O card. Why mention a pci I/O card? it has space for FLOPPY disks. Oh this one will be fun. ^.^

xOqle51m.jpg

Have you tested this one yet? Can you boot from it just as you could from an ISA controller? I have been looking for a card like this for a while now and havn't found anything anywhere. If anybody knows of cards similar to this, meaning having COM and FDD on an PCI card please let me know

Weird there's a PCI version of the Multi I/O card (great as a backup if the on-board I/O stopped working on the motherboard).

2005 me would have really wanted to know about this! Please fully document it.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7162 of 27168, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At long last, the cache configuration on the SI5PI AIO is complete now - all settings fastest and passed the "required" tests(memtest/Windows/Quake/Doom).
Each bank of eight 32K-15ns srams has the same production date as I wasn't able to get 16 "identical" chips though. The tag/dirty ram are 16K-12ns(manual states that only 32K should be used but it's really cool that it works with these "technically adequate" nonetheless).
Only real downside was that the Riva128 that I bought for the rig does not work in it.

Doom Shareware reached approximately 48.49fps - at a cpu clock of 66mhz a dandy result.

Attachments

Reply 7163 of 27168, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

2005 me would have really wanted to know about this! Please fully document it.

i will do what i can.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7165 of 27168, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dismantled my Toshiba T3200sx in order to replace Conner drive with CF card. Turned out more challenging than I thought, so it is still in progress.

20171108_151025.jpg
Filename
20171108_151025.jpg
File size
338.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7166 of 27168, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I spent several hours trying to track down three AT mini towers with PSUs which a family member accidentally dropped off for recycling. I don't have them yet and the chances of recovery aren't looking very good. 😢

Reply 7167 of 27168, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Katmai500 wrote:

I spent several hours trying to track down three AT mini towers with PSUs which a family member accidentally dropped off for recycling. I don't have them yet and the chances of recovery aren't looking very good. 😢

Call every recycling center in your area ASAP. Report them stolen that way legally they must return them.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 7168 of 27168, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Katmai500 wrote:

Call every recycling center in your area ASAP. Report them stolen that way legally they must return them.

Thanks for the tip. They were dropped off about two weeks ago at the local municipal recycling center, which gives them all to Goodwill. Goodwill has already picked them up. I spoke with Goodwill and they got me in touch with their recycling warehouse. I'm waiting for a call back from someone there. Even if I get one of them back I'll be happy at this point.

Reply 7169 of 27168, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested out a cheap VGA to s-video device. Not recommended for anything but giggles, as the aspect ratio outside of Windows is wrong. Audio is all kinds of jacked up due to the USB capture widget being used in conjunction with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeD8yQaPX_0

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 7170 of 27168, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Katmai500 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Katmai500 wrote:

Thanks for the tip. They were dropped off about two weeks ago at the local municipal recycling center, which gives them all to Goodwill. Goodwill has already picked them up. I spoke with Goodwill and they got me in touch with their recycling warehouse. I'm waiting for a call back from someone there. Even if I get one of them back I'll be happy at this point.

Yeah, Goodwill scraps old computers (fuck those bastards) so it doesn't look good sorry to say. That being said if there nice they might give you a couple of comparable cases. I'm sure they have a dozen at any given time.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 7171 of 27168, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I work for goodwill. We donot scrap computers. Dell does it for us (in most regions). And we only give them junk. The good stuff we keep/use or sell when possible. Look up the Seattle goodwill, they sell top end stuff alot online.
And no we hardly ever have older stuff or at cases. Mostly just straight up crap trashed printers, lcds and cables make up the bulk of it. Every now and then we get in a laptop. the last old system (pre 2000) we gotten in my region was a crap Etower.

Edit: also you should pick you words alot better.
Saying f*** those b**** when voiceing your opinion of goodwill is like saying f those disabled/under privileged folks given our mission.

Reply 7172 of 27168, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
I work for goodwill. We donot scrap computers. Dell does it for us (in most regions). And we only give them junk. The good stuff […]
Show full quote

I work for goodwill. We donot scrap computers. Dell does it for us (in most regions). And we only give them junk. The good stuff we keep/use or sell when possible. Look up the Seattle goodwill, they sell top end stuff alot online.
And no we hardly ever have older stuff or at cases. Mostly just straight up crap trashed printers, lcds and cables make up the bulk of it. Every now and then we get in a laptop. the last old system (pre 2000) we gotten in my region was a crap Etower.

Saying f*** those b**** when voiceing your opinion of goodwill is like saying f those disabled/under privileged folks given our mission.

The one near gets alot of old stuff, heck the only place iv ever found good 486 parts is the Seattle goodwill since you mention them. My mom worked there for awhile growing up and got some great training from them that helped her get a good job at our local power company.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7173 of 27168, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Install win7 on a P5A-B platform -> move hard drive to a SiS530 platform -> success
Install the same win 7 on the SiS530 platform -> move hard drive to the P5A-B platform -> infinite reboot

I have tried installing standard IDE driver but didn't work.

Reply 7174 of 27168, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
I work for goodwill. We donot scrap computers. Dell does it for us (in most regions). And we only give them junk. The good stuff […]
Show full quote

Even the cheapest eTower should be preserved. I don't want a future where I can't experience what the low end was like 20 years ago.

And yeah. Sorry. My choice of words was ill thought out. For the record I think what good will tries to do is great but sometimes it gets crazy like all the major city goodwill tend to ask insane amounts for stuff. Like 20 dollars for a VCR. LGR actually caught an item priced at 81 and he eBay searched it. The very first listing matched there price to the cent. It didn't even work and was some real to real audio player. The ones in my area have all moved to new buildings and jacked up there media prices now. Like even CD based games (example: PS1) are 4 dollars instead of a dollar or two like they used to be. You can't really help the poor and suck there blood out at the same time. The two local thrift stores I know of are great and one even haggles with me and the other gives me lower prices when I buy in bulk. Onems profits go to and is ran by a battered women's shelter, and the other is ran by a no kill animal shelter. Kind of hard to say goodwill is doing a good job compared to them. There's a reason I buy a lot of stuff I don't need at the two local ones and I almost never even stop at good will. One deserves my money and is reasonable about it, the other doesn't and tries to overprice everything. I used to hold goodwill very highly up until a couple of years ago when all this stuff I mentioned really became common place.

Reply 7175 of 27168, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

Install win7 on a P5A-B platform -> move hard drive to a SiS530 platform -> success
Install the same win 7 on the SiS530 platform -> move hard drive to the P5A-B platform -> infinite reboot

I have tried installing standard IDE driver but didn't work.

Windows 7 on P5A-B? Why? Is that useable?

1982 to 2001

Reply 7176 of 27168, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We all have to do our bit! 😀

Here in the UK, the charity shops near me don't tend to do Computers. And a lot of the good looking stuff ends up on ebay on their e-shop sites.

But there is a 'Scrapstore' in Swindon, Wiltshire, UK that deals in selling low cost computers (I am not affiliated with this):
http://scrapstore.co.uk/index.php?option=com_ … d=45&Itemid=215

I might pop over on Saturday to have a look.

As for my retro activities this week, I'm pleased to say my 486 DX2 has been working very well. I thought there was still a battery issue, but having replaced the coin battery, it now seems to remember its settings.

The 430 MB HDD is almost full. There's Windows 3.11, DOS 6.22, Paint Shop Pro, and various Games.

Thanks to this forum, the drivers for Windows at the S3 VLB card works well. Windows runs in 800 x 600 on the 1MB card.

The Soundblaster 16 Value has been given a workout. I was tempted trying to get a card for General Midi, but I shall leave it as it is.

And I'm negotiating an AT case for part of my 'final' build. Which is the WinChip machine. I think I have most bits apart from a case to get it off the ground.

Reply 7177 of 27168, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

One deserves my money and is reasonable about it, the other doesn't and tries to overprice everything.

Sheesh this again? No-one cares where you spend your money, or what you think you deserve for your money, or how you think the owner of hardware item X should be conducting themselves. There is zero point to whining about prices, and you must spend a lot of your time confused and angry if you think that there is.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7178 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty spiffed at the current fad in retro hardware pricing but even to me this behaviour of devolving every thread into a rant about other people and what they ask for their hardware is getting tiresome.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7179 of 27168, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:

Dismantled my Toshiba T3200sx in order to replace Conner drive with CF card. Turned out more challenging than I thought, so it is still in progress.

20171108_151025.jpg

The 5200 has a BIOS limitation where you can only put in a Conner drive of the same size than the one the computer originally came with. Doesn't the T3200 have that limitation too?

Had to use a XTIDE CF in mine - which can only do 8-bit transfers, but the non-existent seek time makes up for it.