VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently received an ESS AudioDrive 1868f which i bought off of eBay for a good price, and it works flawlessly, however it doesn't have any midi stuff built in. Before that, i had a Sound Blaster Live! Value card, which in all honesty was a disappointment, but it was amazing at Midi. I want to know if there is any way to link the two sound cards together, to use the AudioDrive as a main DOS sound card while using the SB Live Value for Midi and some windows 98 stuff. I know they have line in but i'm not sure if that works as a passthrough

Reply 1 of 4, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, you can route one card's output into another one's line-in. Just check the cards' mixers to see if line-in is not muted. However, I don't think you can use SB Live's MIDI in pure DOS — only in Windows.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

Yes, you can route one card's output into another one's line-in. Just check the cards' mixers to see if line-in is not muted. However, I don't think you can use SB Live's MIDI in pure DOS — only in Windows.

You can use the Live for MIDI in DOS but it only uses the same .ECW sound banks as the Ensoniq AudioPCI, so no high quality Sound Font support. The first three versions of this Doom E1M1 comparison are the different .ECW banks.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 4, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ive been trying for a while to make it work in windows, but it had so many IRQ conflicts and DMA conflicts even after disabling the sound blaster emulation in the live. When i FINALLY finished moving all the IRQs around, the SB Live, even if it played wave, wouldn't play MIDI (at least through DOS games). I'd call this project a dud.