VOGONS

P3 600B on Asus P2B 1.04

Topic actions

First post, by JetSetWilly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´m triying to plug a Slot 1 Pentium III 600B (133Mhz FSB) into an Asus P2B Rev 1.04 (1012 BIOS) motherboard without success. The PC starts, fan works too but I receive no video signal or further activity. That happends with 100 or 133Mhz FSB jumpers, either option shows the same lack of video so I´m wondering if this board is compatible or not. It´s working fine with other Pentium II CPUs by the way.

Thanks in advance for any help 😀

Reply 2 of 35, by JetSetWilly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Koltoroc wrote:

IIRC you need Rev 1.10 or higher to find coppermine compatible VRMs. In short, it won't work. To get a coppermine to run on this you would need a slotket with its own VRM.

Thanks, that´s a useful info. Then I´ll discard it until find a proper motherboard.

Reply 3 of 35, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JetSetWilly wrote:

Thanks, that´s a useful info. Then I´ll discard it until find a proper motherboard.

Whaaaat. Don't just throw a perfectly good Asus P2B away!

Also, you need rev 1.12 or later. You can also get away with using slotkets that have VRM's on them, as the problem with VRM incompatibility.

Reply 4 of 35, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... Is the OP's chip a Coppermine, though? "600B" points to the Katmai 600/133 processor. "600E" is what the Coppermine equivalent is referred to as.

Either way, yes, please don't toss that board.

Reply 5 of 35, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the basic stuff...
http://www.overclockers.com/upgrading-and-ove … -1-motherboard/

Wish I could come up with a name or keyword to find that old P2B website that had on the board voltage regulator mods and hacks and other tricks.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 35, by JetSetWilly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stay calm, please. Of course I won´t throw such a beaty board 🤣 . Just asked about the 600B because it doesn´t work on it and I wasn´t sure about the reason.

SW-SSG wrote:

... Is the OP's chip a Coppermine, though? "600B" points to the Katmai 600/133 processor. "600E" is what the Coppermine equivalent is referred to as.

Either way, yes, please don't toss that board.

Specifically, the 600B. When I plug it in, the computer starts but no video signal is shown and, like I said before, no further activity is done. With other models like PII 233 or PII 350 works perfectly fine.

BitWrangler wrote:

Wish I could come up with a name or keyword to find that old P2B website that had on the board voltage regulator mods and hacks and other tricks.

Thanks for the link!

Reply 7 of 35, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote:

I think you are looking for this?: http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

1982 to 2001

Reply 8 of 35, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep i have P2B as well under 1.10 revision and it suck, no powerful coppermine, and not ever think of tualatins....

This is why is called P2B is for Pentium II, and nothing more... Better to find P3B-F, ABIT BE6, BE6-II, BE6-II V2, Gigabyte BX2000+ or MSI - BX Master. And for the looking the best ones are the Gigabyte BX2000+ and AOpen - AX6BC PRO II great colors, specially for whole black or blue build...
I think to make whole blue build, x2 3Dfx Voodoo 2 ProVideo, Gigabyte BX2000+, Blue Yamaha ISA sound card, some blue AGP card not sure what, maybe Chaintech FX5900XT or similar, blue IDE cables from new Gigabyte boards, and other blue things...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 9 of 35, by JetSetWilly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Radical Vision wrote:

Yep i have P2B as well under 1.10 revision and it suck, no powerful coppermine, and not ever think of tualatins....

This is why is called P2B is for Pentium II, and nothing more... [...]

Reading the official documentation it supports Pentium III too, at least the 100MHz FSB models, so I don´t think it is a bad motherboard. Are there better options? Of course, but for a PII/PIII Deschutes/Katmai it works well in my opinion.

Reply 10 of 35, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JetSetWilly wrote:
Radical Vision wrote:

This is why is called P2B is for Pentium II, and nothing more... [...]

Reading the official documentation it supports Pentium III too, at least the 100MHz FSB models, so I don´t think it is a bad motherboard. Are there better options? Of course, but for a PII/PIII Deschutes/Katmai it works well in my opinion.

Is not a bad board i have one myself, but compared to Gigabyte BX2000 it is not so good, specially my P2B it have bad capacitors, while 40% of the caps on BX2000 are SanYo, it have Dual bioses, CPU voltage protection, x4 memory slots... Now the CPU support i think was really bad, but is ok for Pentium II at least, but all the goodies on the Gigabyte board it make it really great...
And oo boy the Gigabyte BX2000+ is insane all the positive things form BX2000 and it have also blue color and maybe support for Tualatin processors....

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 11 of 35, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JetSetWilly wrote:

Specifically, the 600B. When I plug it in, the computer starts but no video signal is shown and, like I said before, no further activity is done. With other models like PII 233 or PII 350 works perfectly fine.

Right. Perhaps you could try to clean the "gold fingers" with isopropyl alcohol+Qtips if you haven't already; possibly oxidization is preventing good contact with the slot connectors.

Reply 12 of 35, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote:

And oo boy the Gigabyte BX2000+ is insane all the positive things form BX2000 and it have also blue color and maybe support for Tualatin processors....

Like this one ?

Gigabyte 2000+.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte 2000+.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
9800 XT 440BX + Tualatin mini.png
Filename
File size
654.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

😉

157143230295.png

Reply 13 of 35, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
Like this one ? […]
Show full quote
Radical Vision wrote:

Like this one ?

Gigabyte 2000+.jpg

😉

Yep the same one, great to see someone have that board, even it have IDE RAID so nice...
Can you try to run Tualatin 1.4GHz with slotket adapter, i want to know if it is possible. I see all the great features of the BX2000 here as well, good quality SanYo caps right to the slot, Dual BIOS, x4 memory slots, and even more, blue color, better CPU support, and even IDE RAID...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 14 of 35, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:

I think you are looking for this?: http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

Awesome thanks, that's another good one, I vaguely remember that one too, but forgot I'd forgotten about it, the one I was thinking about had pics.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 35, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote:

Yep the same one, great to see someone have that board, even it have IDE RAID so nice...
Can you try to run Tualatin 1.4GHz with slotket adapter, i want to know if it is possible. I see all the great features of the BX2000 here as well, good quality SanYo caps right to the slot, Dual BIOS, x4 memory slots, and even more, blue color, better CPU support, and even IDE RAID...

Screenshot from my earlier post was done on this motherboard with 1,4GHz Tualatin PIII-S (10,5x 133MHz = 1400MHz) 😀
I updated BIOS to latest beta : LINK, and I think that's why CPU-z isn't showing the proper name for the board : LINK (check BIOS date)
I did test it with special Tualatin tho (with added PCB for undervolting, hence 1,45V on CPU-z).

157143230295.png

Reply 16 of 35, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
Screenshot from my earlier post was done on this motherboard with 1,4GHz Tualatin PIII-S (10,5x 133MHz = 1400MHz) :) I updated B […]
Show full quote
Radical Vision wrote:

Screenshot from my earlier post was done on this motherboard with 1,4GHz Tualatin PIII-S (10,5x 133MHz = 1400MHz) 😀
I updated BIOS to latest beta : LINK, and I think that's why CPU-z isn't showing the proper name for the board : LINK (check BIOS date)
I did test it with special Tualatin tho (with added PCB for undervolting, hence 1,45V on CPU-z).

Great to know BX2000+ supports without a problem Tualatins, i think that board is even better then ASUS P3B-F...
But the BX2000 have really bad memory support most SDram don`t even boot my board. So how is the memory support on that board, is need special memory, or chip or whatever, or they just work most of them fine..

You sure this is BIOS file, because it is other type, and as far as i know BIOS files for socket 462 boards are BIN, and will that file work on Award winflash ?

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 17 of 35, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of PII /PIII boards do not like high density SDRAM, 64 or 128MB modules should be safe, 256MB modules can be either high or low density, and I think 512s are all high density.... actually you'll know a low density one if you see it, it'll be huge, double rows of chips.

Reply 18 of 35, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think RAM for 440BX simply needs to be a Dual Sided 256MB module* (not sure if there is anything more needed than that).
*in other words, Low density (like @up said)

1GB didn't worked from start, however trying few things make it work (manually setting stuff with one DIMM and then adding more after each restart, checking each DIMM slot by itself - is also a good start).

Radical Vision wrote:

You sure this is BIOS file, because it is other type, and as far as i know BIOS files for socket 462 boards are BIN, and will that file work on Award winflash ?

Socket 462 = Socket A = AMD, BX2000+ is Slot-1 😉
You get flasher inside .zip with that beta BIOS.
I think changing file to .bin from .fdc should make it work on any flasher.

PS. Side note :
High End LGA 775 boards don't like high density 4GB DDR3 modules, ie. those that use chips with over 256MB capacity (ie. over 2GB/side) 😁

157143230295.png

Reply 19 of 35, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, though be wary of confusion between physically double sided and electrically double banked. Many 16 chip modules in whatever is the "native" density of the chipset during time where it was current will be double banked, though actually small values might be just 4 chip. Double banked SDRAM sizes are 8, 32, 128, and 512. Singles are 16, 64, 256. However, in order to have space with the 16 low density chips to make a 256MB module, they have to use both sides of the PCB, so it looks double sided but isn't double banked. Like I said, you'd know a low density 512 instantly, because it would need 32 chips on it, so would be double height with 16 on each side.