Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20040 of 52354, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

^this. Although some forum member's reaction is a bit offensive.

Lets try to inform and educate, not belittle.

Yeah, sorry, I'm not particularly good with people who fail to try to inform themselves and then get PO'ed when you point that out. 😅

Anyway, I wish Radical Vision the best of luck with his museum, because he'll need it to get anywhere... 😖

Reply 20041 of 52354, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

This community isn't your personal library or e-Display case. If you have nothing to contribute to the community your just a drain. We have enough of those as it stands.

I bet that one is because i responded to your Compaq thread telling you, i got even better machines for way smaller amount of money....
But seems you did see an opportunity to give it back to me, what you think about what i say in your thread, but this is what i think, i don`t want and i don`t have fun time telling other people they have made wrong decisions compared to me, everyone is different, and they have their minds, ideas and other so im not pretending nothing, i just see other people do things, that to me look like really bad decisions, this is why i did tell you that in your thread, because for me is really, really strange while i can do what i do, others pay so much money for me is just unreal...
And more of because with 80 dollar or euro i can get so much hardware, sell some of it, and with the new money get more hardware, sell some of it, and repeat, and repeat...

But seems you did not like what i did say, still from my point of view (not the dead POV brand..) your buy was bad, but who knows seems i just know how to do that type of things, spending lesser amount of money, and what is more interesting, getting for the same amount of $ way more hardware...

Ooh i just remember you did try to trade me bugged Voodoo 2 STB Black magic for fully working Voodoo 1, and i shut down the whole thing, maybe this response is because of that, well sorry i don`t want/need broken hardware i have enough broken myself...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 20043 of 52354, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agree... don't know why would someone bitch about midi modules as it seems he doesn't know what they even are... I get that you can't know everything but get informed and then bitch around if you still think you have the case.

I knew nothing about them before joining here... I was never into music in those days. I still don't have any external modules but have many DB and Yamaha/Roland cards.

Since this is a bought thread... Today I bought a little something:

aa_160.jpg

s-l600.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 20044 of 52354, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:

This seems to have gotten way out of hand just for posting some midi modules.

Yup. That's what sometimes happens when you make fun of people.

Now on topic - not retro, but got me a HP Z600 dual LGA 1366 workstation barebone for 200 euro. These machines are out there, sold for this price, yet people still charge the same amount for a GA-X58-UD3R motherboard. F***ing stupid.

zf04g4wh.jpg

dtXVtNsh.jpg

It came with a pair of LGA 1366 coolers, the original ones it seems. I installed 16gb of Hyinx ECC DDR3, a SSD, a a Gigabyte RX480 4GB and a pair of 3.06GHz X5675 hexa core xeons I had laying around.

Reply 20045 of 52354, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:

Well you know what they say one little rock can turn on roof the lagoon....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 20046 of 52354, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Bancho wrote:

I'm failing to see where I made fun of anyone?

Reply 20047 of 52354, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
Bancho wrote:

I'm failing to see where I made fun of anyone?

You didn't, but others did.

Radical Vision wrote:
Bancho wrote:

That just doesn't translate well into english....

Reply 20048 of 52354, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:
Agree... don't know why would someone bitch about midi modules as it seems he doesn't know what they even are... I get that you […]
Show full quote

Agree... don't know why would someone bitch about midi modules as it seems he doesn't know what they even are... I get that you can't know everything but get informed and then bitch around if you still think you have the case.

I knew nothing about them before joining here... I was never into music in those days. I still don't have any external modules but have many DB and Yamaha/Roland cards.

Since this is a bought thread... Today I bought a little something:

aa_160.jpg

s-l600.jpg

Always wondered about the "RapidCAD" - is this a special item or "just" a fancy x87?

Reply 20049 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
Radical Vision wrote:

That just doesn't translate well into english....

Makes complete sense to me, but then again, so do David Lynch movies.

Reply 20050 of 52354, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:

Always wondered about the "RapidCAD" - is this a special item or "just" a fancy x87?

RapidCAD 1 is very similar to a 486, with RapiCAD 2 supplying the FERR signal that a 386/387 system expects.

Last edited by debs3759 on 2017-11-10, 16:14. Edited 1 time in total.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 20051 of 52354, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I looked up the RapidCAD and it looks like it's for the 386 systems that acts as an Intel i486 DX processor (CPU+FPU)

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20052 of 52354, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guess it's just an upgrade that turns a 386 into something that can at least be used for basic Computer Aided Design (CAD) tasks, possibly in combination with specific CAD software that took advantage of 486 abilities. Useful for companies that had the money for a processor upgrade but not for buying complete new 486 systems.

Reply 20053 of 52354, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:
amadeus777999 wrote:

RapidCAD 1 is a CPU, RapiCAD 2 is the FPU. They are used as a pair to replace both. I don't know why though 😀

Because the Rapidcad is a 386 socket CPU, and as such it does not have a built-in floating point unit. The smaller chip is the FPU.

As far as I know, they contain some 486 instructions, but no L1 cache like a 486, so a rapidcad should be faster then a 386, but slower then a Cyrix 486DLC witch has L1 cache.

Reply 20054 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of 16 CPUs for cheap. Cheap enough that I bit even though there was only a pic of the rear of the CPUs

Anybody have any idea what the 2 in the top left of this picture could be? (looks to be a solid 17x17 PGA setup - 289 pins)

CPUs.jpg
Filename
CPUs.jpg
File size
136.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 20055 of 52354, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

A lot of 16 CPUs for cheap. Cheap enough that I bit even though there was only a pic of the rear of the CPUs

Anybody have any idea what the 2 in the top left of this picture could be? (looks to be a solid 17x17 PGA setup - 289 pins)

CPUs.jpg

I saw that listing and was surprised that it wasn't automatically way more expensive BECUZ GOLD!!!! Computer scrappers make me cry. So much neat\rare\valuable stuff lost to being demolished or melted down for a few bucks worth of metal.

I've sent a few eBay messages over the years telling people that they may want to research some things before they rip chips off of PCBs or snip off "Gold fingers", as I've seen 3dfx cards, extremely old sound blasters and other things in scrap listings, where they have already been partially harvested from and were destroyed. Nothing like using a pair of tin snips to turn a $300 "for scrap, as is" motherload of old parts into a $25 "for scrap, as is" lot of junk. 😵

/rant

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 20057 of 52354, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chose007 wrote:

*2x EDGE 3D*

justaregularperf.png
Filename
justaregularperf.png
File size
40.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 20058 of 52354, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... dude!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video