VOGONS

First post, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have a bit off an off problem with the AWE 64 Gold I have.

I'm using it with a 200MHz Pentium MMX, and with Freedos 1.2.
Burned a CD with drivers from this site, and installed those.

Spent quite some time on this, so won't bore with all details, but as it is now I have the following issue.

On all the games I have tried(they are all GOG versions) I can't get it to play music. It is just silence.

Soundeffects works fine.

The thing is that when running diagnose I also could not hear anything, but when installing the SimmConn with 32mb ram I ran CTCM and then diagnose would detect the ram, and play synthesized music,
and a new option for AWE syntesized music. Both test fine, and I can hear the music, but when loading games, I get no music again.

It looks like it plays, but no sound is coming out the speakers.

In Duke3d, I hear sound effects when testing, and silence when testing music.

So I think there is a problem when loading CTCM, but unsure wether it should load in autoexec.bat, config.sys or fdconfig.sys.

Another thing is that when running diagnose, and I try to save the settings, the computer will always freeze, and I need to push CTRL - ALT - DELETE to restart it.
Looks like it saves settings however.

Reply 1 of 6, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is this the original simmconn gold ?

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 3 of 6, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Solved it, reinstalled drivers from the CD, looks like not everything was installed last time, and that was the problem.

renamed config sys to config.old, and copied what was there to fdconfig.sys .

Now the only thing is if there is anything to optimize this, as Tiefighter complains about too little EMS memory.

I have 128mb on the system. Not added Phils menu system yet, only standar Freedos options.

Second is how to load soundfonts, so I can use the 28mb the SimmConn provides.

Reply 5 of 6, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes its quite a bummer to not be able to load soundfonts in DOS. I have a pimped up 486 100mhz that I added the AWE 64 gold with SIMMconn to be able to run old games with great sound but no luck there. The SIMMconn memory gets erased on reboot so not possible there. And running games via Win95 on a 486 usually does not work very well.

Reply 6 of 6, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

which games did not work for you under win95? i once did some testing on a pentium 60 and while there is a small framerate hit, even more demanding games were fairly playable. a dx4/100 is usually right in the same ballpark.

besides, if you read some initial reviews for the AWE32, which is basically the same thing as your card, the compatibility issues with existing GM games were always a point of contention. i think the soundfont loading feature was mainly geared for use under windows with music creation software.