VOGONS

Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 549, by timitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bit more testing...

I tried another PC with exactly same results. So I have now tested Pentium 3 1,266GHz and 486dx2/50 to be sure that it should not be related to ISA slot.

I also noticed that with Value card all simms are detected as 2 megabytes when I have jumpers set to 32MB or 16MB. But if I jumper setup to 8MB then I get 8MB and Diagnose goes through fine. Same with 4MB. But since I made these tests with my 486, I don't know how samples work (probably as bad as with gold).

I have now tried 13 different simms (and by different I mean different models). Few of them are not 32MB though. And about half are 70ns and one is 80ns. Still 6 are 60ns.
And 4 different simms have 16 chips AND 60ns speed.

One is this: https://www.oempcworld.com/OEMPCworld-com/003071.html
Another is this: http://www.memory4less.com/nanya-32mb-simm-ed … -nt511740c5j-60
One has same chips as this: https://www.classiccomputershop.eu/Webwinkel- … -retro-90s.html (so this is apparently fpm and not edo).
And then one had Panasonic MN414400CSJ-06 chips, but I can't find similar simms from internet. I think it is EDO.

Gold recognizes all these as 32MB, but in practise they don't work. Many instruments sounds broken and diagnose fails. If if jumper them as 16 MB then detect says 16 and diagnose goes through. Still samples are wrong (if I load larger than 4 MB sf2).

I used multimeter to test all connections on this simmconn and it seems to be fine (took some time). Also checked that resistor was what is was supposed to be. Capacitors look like ones that can be connected either side, but I'm not really an expert with electronics.

Reply 361 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are my results. Will update as I test more.

I think if somebody is having issues, we need to get the versions of drivers, ctcm and diagnose that is being used.

I have the Universal version

RAM - Nanya 60ns 32MB EDO - see below for pic

Soundfonts tested:
Chaos 12MB v2.0

CT4380 - still have to test

CT4390 - works fine in both Windows and DOS so far - initial issue was because it was trying to load the wrong ctcm config file because I was loading it from a directory that wasn't where Windows had saved it to. Since some of you are having trouble with the CT4390, I am going to test with some games as well before I test the other ones.

CT4500 - still have to test

CT4520 - works fine in both Windows and DOS so far

CT4540 - I don't have one of these.

CT4550 - still have to test

Here is the jumper settings for 32MB - I used two different colors to make it easier to see.

jumpers.jpg
Filename
jumpers.jpg
File size
795.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here is the RAM I am using - It is 32MB EDO 60ns double sided

nanya 32mb edo.jpg
Filename
nanya 32mb edo.jpg
File size
589.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 362 of 549, by Chris2017

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone who responded.

I decided to buy a pack of jumpers on Ebay from Hong Kong for $2 dollars.

I am still waiting for some parts to build my Retro Gaming PC (like an AGP Video Card)
before I can test my AWE64 Gold with the Universal Simmconn.

I bought some SIEMENS HYB5117405BJ-60 (32MB EDO RAM) on Ebay based on successful tests that Batyra did (see October 1 post)

Reply 363 of 549, by timitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure is weird. I have practically same setup as cyclone3d. I have same chips in my Nanya simm (it's not exactly same looking simm though), I have same CT4390 and CT4520 he tested. I used Chaos 12MB SF2. And I have same rev 2 Simmconn Universal. And same jumpering.

Still I get different results on BOTH cards with two different computers.

I also noted that jumpering SimmConn to think that my simms are 8MB (JP1 to 2-3 and JP2 to 1-2) seems to be the only case where all intruments (and Doom) sounds correct with this Chaos 12MB SF2. If it is jumpered to be 32 or 16 then some instruments are broken when played from AWE Control (or listening Doom). This is with CT4390.

EDIT: It seems that with CT4520 the 8MB jumpering causes same result (except that it obviously has 8MB instead of 12MB and I need to use some smaller SF2).

Reply 364 of 549, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Here are my results. Will update as I test more.

I think if somebody is having issues, we need to get the versions of drivers, ctcm and diagnose that is being used.

OK, here's what I could find regarding the versions of the drivers and utilities mentioned:
Creative AWE64 Audio (SB16 Compatible) Windows driver datestamp : 5-26-1997
Creative AWE64 Wavetable MIDI (AWE32 Compatible) Windows driver datestamp* : 4-8-1998
CTCM version is 1.08
DIAGNOSE.EXE version is 4.04
*The MIDI driver appears to have been updated by DirectX 6.0, hence the mismatched datestamp.

If you're wondering about the two 32MB SIMMs I ordered earlier. They came a week ago but I haven't gotten around to testing them yet.

I can pull out one of my spare hard drives and reinstall Windows 95OSR2 (or 98SE if that would help) for testing purposes to see if installing the drivers with the SIMMConn preinstalled makes a difference. I'm also willing to test it out on my Pentium 1 rig if you think trying it on another computer would help.

Reply 365 of 549, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But the whole issue here... I think some how everyone is missing it. The original SIMMConn, worked with every different ram module that exists. I've never found a single module to -NOT- work with it. And it works in MS-DOS DIAGNOSE, it works in windows 9x and windows 3.11 to load sound fonts, all versions of all drivers, and always shows the full amount of ram installed, up to 28MB with a 32MB module installed. It doesn't care it's not picky.

The problem is, the SIMMConn Revival -SHOULD- work that way.. and it's not. I'm still kinda.. not mad but just kinda sad it doesn't work as well as the original. Is it just the Universal version that's being weird and picky?

Reply 366 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kithylin wrote:

Is it just the Universal version that's being weird and picky?

Yeah pretty much.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 367 of 549, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Is it just the Universal version that's being weird and picky?

Yeah pretty much.

The real test is for somebody experiencing failures with the universal version to get the gold/value version and try it out with the same awe64/simm/motherboard/etc.

Reply 368 of 549, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Universal arrived over a week ago. Still need to go to the local recyclers to pick out some 30 pin SIMM's. Probably going to pick out a few sticks for this and my 486.

Reply 369 of 549, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:

My Universal arrived over a week ago. Still need to go to the local recyclers to pick out some 30 pin SIMM's. Probably going to pick out a few sticks for this and my 486.

You do realize that the SIMMCONN uses 72 pin RAM not 30 pin, right?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 370 of 549, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
dexvx wrote:

No problem, this will fix you right up.

Reply 371 of 549, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the Goat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
dexvx wrote:

No problem, this will fix you right up.

HAHAHAHA.

And take up at least 2 extra slots.

Funny thing is, I actually have one of those laying around.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 372 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the Goat wrote:

The real test is for somebody experiencing failures with the universal version to get the gold/value version and try it out with the same awe64/simm/motherboard/etc.

Let's do this.
Is there someone who has it all, and has problems with the universal versions ?
If not, maybe I can send a gold or value version for test purposes.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 373 of 549, by timitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I don't have it all, but at least one gold and one value card with quite a few non-functioning simms (some with chips that are working with other users).

Although my universal seems to work differently to others as in gold it recognises all simms as 32mb (but is not working) and with value same simms are recognised, but as 2mb size.

EDIT: Of course if someone already has value or gold versions of adapter, then he/she won't need you to send any adapters 😀

Reply 374 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
timitt wrote:

Well I don't have it all, but at least one gold and one value card with quite a few non-functioning simms (some with chips that are working with other users).

Although my universal seems to work differently to others as in gold it recognises all simms as 32mb (but is not working) and with value same simms are recognised, but as 2mb size.

EDIT: Of course if someone already has value or gold versions of adapter, then he/she won't need you to send any adapters 😀

OK lets do it
pm me

Reply 375 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK
will send value, gold and another universal to Timitt for further testing,
This way we'll hopefully solve the mystery..

Reply 376 of 549, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have assembled my simmconn kit this evening, it's a universal one. Tested with CT4500 and 8 MB FPM double sided, 16 MB EDO double sided and 32 MB EDO. Each one of theses modules worked and was fully detected and tested fine with Creative DIAGNOSE up to 28 MB with the 32 MB module. The only thing I did not use from the kit it's the SIMM slot since I got a 90° angled AMP one I recovered from an old Mylex SCSI controller. Very satisfied with the results, thanks again.

EDIT: it was not my intention to sound presumptuous in declaring that every modules works with universal. I was just reporting the few tests I made with it as soon as I assembled it. I will better test the simmconn during this weekend with different soundfonts and various games.

Last edited by Madowax on 2017-11-25, 05:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 377 of 549, by timitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received the test cards on Thursday. I have some issues with new SimmConn Universal so I will be able to test that one next week (had some private communication with Serge about that).

I have mostly tested SimmConn Value with good amount of simms I have.
I realised that some SIMMs were not 32MB even though my first googling made me think so (now I confirmed them by finding datasheets for chips when I was not sure about the SIMM). Now I know what SIMM sizes (or I think I know). So unfortunately I only have 3 different 32 MB SIMMs. But good part is that I actually had SIMM for every jumper configuration.

Here are pictures of the SIMMs: https://imgur.com/a/kfQbH

Almost all SIMMs worked with SimmConn Value. 32 MB SIMMs did not work with my original SimmConn Universal and neither did 16 MB SIMM. 8 MB SIMMs did work (at least the ones I tested).
I tested two first 32 MB SIMMs with SimmConn Gold and they were working too. I did not run diagnose memory test for all of them (all 32 MB were tested) as it is pretty slow, but I did use SF2 files with sizes 28 MB, 12 MB, 8 MB and 4 MB (as large as possible) and tried to play quite many instruments as with Universal version very many of the instruments were not functioning.

First two 32 MB SIMMs have same chips that some have used successfully with SimmConn Universal, but still they are not working with my first SimmConn Univeral. We'll see next week if second item works better.

Interestingly my 32MB ECC SIMM seemed to work fine too. I have few 4 MB and 8 MB ECC SIMMs too, but did not test them (as they are in use).

EDIT: Added new image to imgur-link that shows few SIMMs that did not work (two of them being 2 MB SIMMs). And edited message not to say "Every single SIMM worked".

Reply 378 of 549, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
timitt wrote:

I received the test cards on Thursday. I have some issues with new SimmConn Universal so I will be able to test that one next week (had some private communication with Serge about that).

Yes, thanks for the test ! Timitt and I now suspect CMMA, this seemed not a perfect fit on his new universal simmconn. But we are not sure.
I have new connectors for CMMA (2x13 instead of 2x14 so i do no longer have to cut these to size), and Timitt will do more careful resoldering (I may have heated some pins too long for his universal models). I sent some replacement connectors to Timitt, in a few days we will know if this was the problem.
Once we know for sure this is the solution, I will work out replacement for people having this problem, OK ?

Reply 379 of 549, by timitt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For me the CMMA connector did not go all the way down in the new Universal SimmConn and that's why it did not recognize any simms. There was bit too much soldering inside the connector (in two pin holes).

On the other hand my first Universal SimmConn did go fully down in the connector, but that did have other issues. In practice 32 MB SIMMs worked like 8 MB SIMM if I jumpered them to be 32 MB (2-3, 2-3 jumpering) when compared to Value SimmConn. And that was different issue than others here seemed to have.

Problems others did seem to have here with Universal SImmConn was like they did not recognise any SIMMS so it might be possible that it is cotact issue.

But I don't happen to be too much an expert with electronics.