VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm attempting to play this game but when entering into certain vehicles, mainly the cube trucks that have item boxes inside I'm receiving the following error that crashes the game:

DOSBox_Error_1.jpg

DOSBox_Error_2.jpg

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix t?

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 9, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to replace DOS4GW with DOS32A, that usually helps, only games that do not like that are Tomb Raider(total crash) and Zed(random lockups).

Doom and Warcraft 2 totally benefit from that, they even load faster. Especially Doom. Because i do not like any source port Dooms (MBF) , only the original. 😈

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 2 of 9, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like the so-called "door crash". Check around this post for find some more info, and a fix of course.

However I suggest going all-in and installing SkyNET Unofficial Patch 2017.
Includes the above crash fix and some other features you didn't know you wanted.

Reply 3 of 9, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

Try to replace DOS4GW with DOS32A, that usually helps, only games that do not like that are Tomb Raider(total crash) and Zed(random lockups).

Doom and Warcraft 2 totally benefit from that, they even load faster. Especially Doom. Because i do not like any source port Dooms (MBF) , only the original. 😈

Where is this "DOS32A" file? I have looked in both the "Future Shock" and "Skynet" folders and it's not present.

Reply 4 of 9, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nilex wrote:

Sounds like the so-called "door crash". Check around this post for find some more info, and a fix of course.

However I suggest going all-in and installing SkyNET Unofficial Patch 2017.
Includes the above crash fix and some other features you didn't know you wanted.

After browsing that thread, it appears this is similar to the problem mentioned just not with buildings, or at least not where I'm at in the game so far.

I will try the provided solutions and report back.

Thanks for the help.

Reply 6 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm glad to hear it, Avenger. I'm also glad that you didn't discover a new bug 😀.

Not that you need an answer now, but, to answer your question, DOS32A is a replacement (that you can download) for DOS4GW (which SkyNET comes with and uses). In my testing for the patch, though, I didn't see any differences between how the game loaded and ran with DOS32A vs DOS4GW, so I left it out to be on the safe side.

Reply 7 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nilex, Avenger and anyone else,
Thinking of this game again made me realize that I could adapt my Outlaws Mouse Helper to this game, so I worked on that tonight and it seems to work well. If you're interested in testing it, I've attached it. Copy it to where your dosbox.exe is and run it, then run SkyNET (unless it finds it and runs it for you, which'll it'll try to do).

There are only two features (since the game is quite a bit simpler than Outlaws... no reload, no inventory, etc.):

* Cycle weapon types (#s 1-7 on the keyboard) by scrolling the mouse wheel up/down.
* Cycle weapons of the same type (i.e. weapons that share the same # key) with the middle mouse button or scrolling left/right.

To really test it, you might care to use the game's cheat code to give yourself all weapons: press Alt + \ then type in Arnold and hit Enter.

If you try it, let me know if it works well, has issues or if you can think of features to add or other ways to improve it.

Attachments

• Filename
    SkyNETMouseHelper.zip
    File size
    605.68 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 9, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Works as described, in-game.

Now the weirdo part: when ran from shock.exe or skynet.exe folder I can't use mouse wheel in Windows. If I try, then that Win error sound spam begins. I can run & play game normally and the thing goes away after the game & helper are closed.
Even more weirdo part: when ran any other folder then there's no wheel blockade until I browse to game folder with classic Win Explorer. Then same thing happens.

Check if this happens on your system because I use Classic Shell addon for explorer, and this in startup for quicker navigation. Both of which could be the culprits (I've no idea), just so I don't send you on a wild debug goose-chase. And if it's isolated to my system I wouldn't mind now that I know the cause.

P.S. Just noticed the name of 1st reply dude. Username checks out 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's probably because of FlashyWheel. My helper controls the mouse wheel only when the game is running and the active window, but FlashyWheel explicitly sends the mouse wheel input to any inactive window in the background that the cursor is hovering over, so the helper is trying to send the wheel input to the game window while FlashyWheel is trying to send it to the inactive window that you're trying to scroll. As a workaround, don't leave the game as the active window when you want to scroll other windows. Minimize the game or click on the inactive window to activate it. BTW, this doesn't seem to be an issue in Windows 10, since it allows the same functionality that FlashyWheel provides, but better, because it work for me with the helper without any issues or error.

Besides the above workaround, another option for you is to try uninstalling FlashyWheel and using MouseWheely, instead. It does the same thing and is several years newer (natively supporting Windows 7 and 64-bit), so it may not have the same issue that you're experiencing:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mousewheely