VOGONS

Unreal and UT won't launch in Glide

Topic actions

First post, by Stalwart777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys. I assembled a Win98 rig with a Voodoo3 3000 to play some old games. Everything went great until I tried to fire up Unreal and Unreal Tournament. In both games I can't make it past the splash screen. After the splash screen (and sound which I can hear) Unreal stays at the splash screen until I end task. Unreal Tournament goes full screen, which stays blank, plays the splash sound, and then stays there until I hard reset the system. When I launch them in windowed safe mode, Unreal launches, but Unreal Tournament opens a frozen white window.

Here is what I tried to do:
Patching both games to latest versions. 226 for unreal and 436 for UT.
Reinstalling and re-patching both games.
Unreal used to give the following error before patching: ("Assertion failed: CacheItems!=NULL"). After patching the error vanished.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling Voodoo3 3000 drivers. V1.07.00 (4.12.01.0666)
Testing the voodoo3 through dxdiag. All tests passed
Trying other 3dfx capable games. Quake II and NFS3 Hot Pursuit ran well.

Nothing helped.

System Specs:
Win98 SE (4.10, Build 2222) A
D815EEA mobo, using onboard audio
Voodoo3 3000 AGP. Driver V1.07.00 (4.12.01.0666)
P3 800mhz
256mb RAM
40gb HDD
DirectX 7.0 (4.07.00.0700)
17"LCD Flatron running in 8000x600 @75hz.

I am out of ideas of what to try next 😢 . Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Installed DirectX 8.0a. No change

EDIT 2: Installed monitor drivers over the generic ones. Edited the refresh rate in the INI files to match the monitors. Unreal launched once in Glide. Unable to replicate whatever I did there 😕 😠

EDIT 3: The only way to launch unreal seems to be by uninstalling it, re-installing, patching to 226, and manually editing the ini for necessary settings. That lets me launch the game once. If I exit it, the only way launch it again is to repeat the process. *bangs head on table*

Reply 1 of 21, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stalwart777 wrote:

EDIT: Installed DirectX 8.0a. No change

I just built a Pentium III Voodoo 3 machine. First game installed was Unreal Tournament 99. After installing several other games, I wanted to watch the intro to UT. When I ran it, it went back to software mode. This was despite setting it up to use Glide. No matter what I did to UT, it wouldn't latch on to glide.

1: I reinstalled Directx (I want to say I used DX7)
2: I reinstalled the video drivers

Game ran fine after that.

Win98 SE (4.10, Build 2222) A
D815EEA mobo

Did you install chipset drivers prior to starting your VGA drivers?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 21, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had this problem before as well. I did fix it but I can't remember how. 🙁

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 3 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Fusion wrote:

I had this problem before as well. I did fix it but I can't remember how. 🙁

Same here, I reacll it being a driver problem or missing glide files.

Reply 4 of 21, by Stalwart777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CkRtech wrote:

Did you install chipset drivers prior to starting your VGA drivers?

Yes. I make a point to install those first not to mess anything up.

CkRtech wrote:

1: I reinstalled Directx (I want to say I used DX7)
2: I reinstalled the video drivers

No luck. Messed around inside the ut/system folder by editing various files and using glide dll's from the 3dfx driver installer. Still nothing.

Guess next step is to start fresh by reinstalling Windows 98. Then try other drivers. I also have 2x voodoo2 on the way in case all else fails and its really something wrong with the voodoo3 itself.

Reply 5 of 21, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wait, what version of UT did you install? GoG or retail? I THINK that might make a difference.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 7 of 21, by Stalwart777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did the following:
1. Pulled and inspected the voodoo3.
2. Formatted and Re-installed Win98 SE
3. Installed Chipset, Audio, and Video drivers in that order.
4. Installed UT99, UT then installed DX7
5. Re-Installed video drivers just in case.
6. Patched to 436.

Problem remains. UT launches full screen, plays splash sound, screen remains black, HDD LED stops blinking, system locks up. 😵

Also apparently a few days ago I woke up in the middle of the night and told my wife to unplug the videocard because she and our son were on the same card 🤣

Reply 9 of 21, by Stalwart777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Didn't help.

Tried Swapping monitors. Then threw in an S3 Savage4 Pro with 2x voodoo2 in SLI instead of a voodoo3. Same problem. In 3dfx, D3D, and in S3 Metal rendering modes......

I am very confused. Could it be the motherboard? Win98 install disk that I'm using? UT99 install disk? On board audio crashing? I'm running out of hardware to blame here 😐

Reply 10 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

No its a software problem. I had it before on a few systems and found it was a driver problem on one and missing glide files on another.
Also I can't recall if it has one but check the games error log if it has one.

Its been a wile since I have a 9x box with a voodoo. If I had one in front of me I could fix your problem in a heartbeat.
The missing glide files should be in your system or windir folders.

Reply 11 of 21, by Stalwart777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

No its a software problem.

It appears so. I needed to test a pair of recently acquired voodoo2's, and everything went smooth. The voodoo3 (and its drivers) just don't seem to like me. I'll finish tinkering with it at a later date as the issue seems to be isolated to the voodoo3. I'll make sure to post here when i figure out what I keep breaking.

Thank you very much for your help guys 😀

Reply 12 of 21, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just letting you guys know, I had the same problem and solved it with a multi-texture patch I had on a CD.

It's designed for Voodoo 2 but the original voodoo also need it unless you use really old drivers.

You can find it here: https://www.quaddicted.com/files/idgames2/pla … eal_V2_MTex.ZIP

Reply 13 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V2 doesn't really 'need' a patch from my experience (all versions from 200 to 226f will work), though when I used to have Unreal startup issues on a fresh Windows install, my solution was just reinstalling Unreal.
V3 however needs at least v222 (V3 cards shipped with Unreal v222 which wasn't available as a patch)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dont know anything about unreal. In fact, I think it sucks, the same with half life. I guess it has to do with the type of game and not the game it self. As I really love the gfx quality of those games....

That said. I have had these same issues with UT99, when I installed it and used it in 2000/01. And the only way that I was able to make it work, if I did not want/had to edit the registry in Win98, was to completely blank the harddrive and install Win98 from scratch.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15 of 21, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Old thread, but for completeness: I had issues with UT99. Instead of starting, it just flickered. No switching to V2.

I just had to delete glide2x.dll from UT\system-Folder. The game will then use the one from your driver installation.

Reply 16 of 21, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is happening to me too.
I'm running a V3 3000 with the final drivers.
Software renderer is ok.
D3D works, it seems.
Glide causes the screen to go black, and eventually the display turns off. I can hear the intro music playing, but the machine is hard locked, and requires a reset.
Unreal Gold and UT are the only games this happens with, other glide games work fine. Messed around with it a bit, but cannot figure it out.

Reply 17 of 21, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i seem to remember having a similar problem.
i solved it by deleting the unreal.ini file in the unreal/system folder and then restarting the game.

Reply 19 of 21, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That did give me an idea though, which actually fixed it, but I'm not sure if it would be of any help to anyone else.
I had a backup of a previous installation, and copied the unreal.ini & default.ini, now it works properly. Weird.