VOGONS

First post, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I have the sound card noted above.

For whatever reason I just can't get DOS music to work inside Windows 98. Sound effects work fine, but Doom won't play any music, and Duke3d says it can't detect an FM chip. I'm really scratching my head since inside of pure dos it works fine. I have a Dreamblaster S2 connected which works great inside DOS too, but not at all in Windows, even when reconfiguring IRQ etc.

What's weirder is I have a Atrend ATC-6631 which is almost identical to the Audician which also doesn't work.

I'm imagining it's some silly setting I haven't changed.

Any help would be great.

Reply 3 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What resources has Windows 98 given you for FM and the MPU-401? Maybe there was some conflict and you ended up with resources at locations the game isn't looking for.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 9, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I fixed it now. Stupid on my part really, I changed the port to 240 from 220 and it works fine, wavetable included. It wasn't showing as any conflicts and I've ran the card fine before so not sure what the issue was.

Reply 5 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have just been struck by this same issue. Digital sound is fine, but OPL and SoftSynth midi has no output. Mixer settings look fine, nothing muted. External midi also works fine, showing the MPU401 port is working OK. I have tried reinstalling the driver, removing the device in device manager and letting it detect again...using the latest drivers from Phil's website.

Any other ideas?

Reply 6 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When OPL3 is silent you may have "ZV port" enabled in advanced settings in volume control. Softsynth should play always though, along with Windows sounds, as these come from WSS side and not the SB side.
If you have a VIA based chipset and WSS side sounds don't work then try changing DMA0 to DMA3 in device manager, since DMA0 will not work on VIA chipsets I have had access to and by default DMA0 is used by the driver for WSS side.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did have ZV enabled. Wasn't sure what it was for. I think the chipset is VIA, I guess I will try changing DMA0 to DMA3. Although when I went into device manager it did not let me change any resource values. I am only testing with DOS games at the moment, and just selecting SB Pro sound...which works fine. Just the opl and softsynth not working at the moment.

Reply 8 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2020-04-21, 09:29:

When OPL3 is silent you may have "ZV port" enabled in advanced settings in volume control. Softsynth should play always though, along with Windows sounds, as these come from WSS side and not the SB side.
If you have a VIA based chipset and WSS side sounds don't work then try changing DMA0 to DMA3 in device manager, since DMA0 will not work on VIA chipsets I have had access to and by default DMA0 is used by the driver for WSS side.

You sir are a legend. The ZV trick did enable the OPL, and switching DMA 0 to 3 enabled SoftSynth. Games like Doom1, Descent, Warcraft2 and Wolf3D sound superb. However, Epic games (Jazz and Pinball) stopped working...Jazz no longer starts, and Pinball has intro sound, but silence during the tables. I don't really care for them so much though so it's OK. The Audician32 really is a nice soundcard for DOS games under Win98 when it works.

Reply 9 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice ~
ZV port is something meant for MPEG accelerators or such, when integrated with the chip. It essentially disconnects OPL3 from its DAC and uses the DAC for an external device instead.
I don't recall having issues with Jazz in windows but it has been a while. The pinball game I have never played so I'm not sure what could be the problem there.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜