VOGONS

First post, by Lyteniro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have made a retro PC with purpose of using Windows 98 SE and XP (on dual boot). My sound card of my configuration is Sound Blaster ES, model SB0160. I've downloaded the CD drivers for my Audigy card from here and installed them on Windows 98 system. After the installation, the only sounds I heard are from Windows 98 startup sound, followed by Creative intro. Afterwards there were no sound at all: no sound after any system message played. Perhaps those drivers are for a different model?

Last edited by Lyteniro on 2017-11-17, 18:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're hearing the startup sound and Creative intro, the sound card should be working. I take it by "system message" you mean Windows system sounds? Go into Control Panel Sounds and make sure the Windows sound is set to default. Also, double check your volumes at both the speaker and taskbar audio mixer.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 14, by Lyteniro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows sound schemes and volume settings are unchanged. Everything must be working from the beginning, as I installed the sound driver.

Last edited by Lyteniro on 2017-11-17, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So if you're getting startup sounds, Creative intro sounds, and sound scheme sounds, then what are you not getting sound on? In your first post you say "no sound after any system message played." I assumed you were talking about sound scheme sounds. But you just said "The volumes are fine, so do Windows sound schemes." which to me sounds like you are hearing sound scheme sounds. Can you elaborate more on what exactly you're not getting sound? It's hard to help someone when they aren't providing enough information.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 14, by Lyteniro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I meant that Windows sound schemes are unchanged and so are volumes. There are no sound after startup sound and Creative intro, playing Windows sounds from a sound scheme settings by using a "Play" button doesn't work, but strangely MIDI does play from a sound player.

Reply 5 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

make sure the soundcard is set as default in control panel, multimedia.
If you go into c:\windows\sounds or media, cant quite remember you should be about to double click the wav file and it should play in media player.
or you may find the wav files are missing I've had that on minimal installs

Reply 6 of 14, by Lyteniro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sound card is set as default. All audio files play normally via Windows Media Player.
Plus I want the SB16 emulation available, I heard that is available in Audigy?
I suspect that those drivers aren't working properly for SB0160 and on Windows 98.

Plus after I install the driver, after the restart, I saw a message that CTNOTIFY.exe performed an illegal operation.

Reply 7 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems to me that if all audio files play normally via Media Player and the sound comes from the speakers connected to the Audigy, the sound card is working properly...

Reply 9 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the same audio file fails to play in one of two different Windows programs, the first option would be the Windows program it fails to play in. Are you absolutely sure you haven't got anything muted in the program itself?
The second option is that your installation of Windows 98 is somehow borked and missing files.
The other thing is that I have trouble understanding what works and what doesn't, as your explanation is rather confused.

...just as I fail to understand why you would expect the Windows Sound Schemes to sound different in Windows 98 when you install a new sound card, all of the sounds are .WAV files IIRC and will sound exactly the same on any sound card.

Reply 10 of 14, by Lyteniro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
If the same audio file fails to play in one of two different Windows programs, the first option would be the Windows program it […]
Show full quote

If the same audio file fails to play in one of two different Windows programs, the first option would be the Windows program it fails to play in. Are you absolutely sure you haven't got anything muted in the program itself?
The second option is that your installation of Windows 98 is somehow borked and missing files.
The other thing is that I have trouble understanding what works and what doesn't, as your explanation is rather confused.

...just as I fail to understand why you would expect the Windows Sound Schemes to sound different in Windows 98 when you install a new sound card, all of the sounds are .WAV files IIRC and will sound exactly the same on any sound card.

You are just misunderstanding everything that I said and you interpret all I say as utter nonsense. My installation is completely fine and it is a retail Second Edition and I didn't change any system settings after installation, just installed the video card drivers and then Audigy ones. It is just system sounds which don't play on the system, but playing audio via media player work with no problem.

I probably have to remove Audigy and get a Sound Blaster Live! instead.

Reply 11 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But of course it is all my fault. That's why you edited your two first posts to clarify them (obviously). 🙄

Also:

Sorry, I meant that Windows sound schemes are unchanged and so are volumes. There are no sound after startup sound and Creative intro, playing Windows sounds from a sound scheme settings by using a "Play" button doesn't work, but strangely MIDI does play from a sound player.

But well, since you obviously already know what the problem is (even though it is rather strange that .WAV files play from Media Player but not Windows Sound Settings...) you clearly don't need any help and can solve the issue on your own. 😐

Reply 12 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your sound card IS fine, this is proven by the fact you hear startup sounds and you can manually play sounds through explorer.
Windows must not be registering that an event (such as a error dialog box) has happened so not playing an sound. It is a windows error not a hardware one.
but anyway
What do you mean sound blaster emulation? from within windows or bypassing windows all together and going straight into dos?
we are going to have to reinstall something so may fix both at once.

Also what drivers are you using?

Reply 13 of 14, by Lyteniro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Your sound card IS fine, this is proven by the fact you hear startup sounds and you can manually play sounds through explorer. W […]
Show full quote

Your sound card IS fine, this is proven by the fact you hear startup sounds and you can manually play sounds through explorer.
Windows must not be registering that an event (such as a error dialog box) has happened so not playing an sound. It is a windows error not a hardware one.
but anyway
What do you mean sound blaster emulation? from within windows or bypassing windows all together and going straight into dos?
we are going to have to reinstall something so may fix both at once.

Also what drivers are you using?

I did not say that problems are with hardware, I only suspect that the problems are in drivers. You can't find drivers in the Internet on Creative website, also my audio card was not provided with a CD.

Unfortunately, I did not find Sound Blaster emulation entry during the custom installation (I did that to look for such option, but I installed everything). You may heard that Sound Blaster Live! drivers had SB16 emulation feature which, as I heard, enables playing DOS games via MS-DOS mode with sound.

The drivers from Audigy were downloaded from this website, file was AudigyXP.iso (http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=397). Seems like there's no other choice rather than getting a Live! instead.

Reply 14 of 14, by Lyteniro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem solved by just installing the Audigy driver not by Creative installation utility but by installing them via the Device Manager.

UPD: Had to install CT4670 (Live! Value) instead of Audigy because of absence of normal drivers for Windows 98SE and SB16 DOS driver.