VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I installed an S3 Trio64V2/DX (Model No SST-2065/75, no information on brand on the PCB) in my P133 PC for DOS compatibility but my god does it have holy pants Batman gray blacks..

I know this is a documented issue, but I can't seem to figure out the best way to fix this. Is there a BIOS out there that I can safely flash onto the card to fix it? Can the flash be done via DOS and not a BIOS flasher device? For reference, the card I have is below:

med_gallery_60983_11505_4195.jpg

I also happen to have this regular S3 Trio64 by Surf media, but I refrained from using it because it's an older model and 1MB only. Maybe I should just use this? I can just pull the extra RAM from one card and move it to the other, now that I have the tools for that.

med_gallery_60983_11505_217148.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

look here: Re: S3 AGP Cards (and possibly others) Too Bright

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

Thanks! That haleps with obtaining BIOS images I hope will be helpful, but how to flash them onto the card without an external device?

Failing this, I guess I can just use the S3BRIGHT.ZIP posted in the thread and run it in autoexec.bat?

Reply 3 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you will need a programmer to flash the images - but s3bright in autoexec.bat will work just as good for DOS

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

you will need a programmer to flash the images - but s3bright in autoexec.bat will work just as good for DOS

Oh.. No programmer, so I'll have to make do with the S3BRIGHT.

It's a non-issue in Windows 95 onwards I suppose, with color profiles and whatnot?

Reply 5 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the ROM falls within the addressing limits of the hardware, you can use Realtek or 3com PCI ethernet cards to flash with.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

If the ROM falls within the addressing limits of the hardware, you can use Realtek or 3com PCI ethernet cards to flash with.

Can you kindly explain the process?

Reply 7 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These appear to be standard 28 pin option ROMs (not 32 pin like your BIOS), so they're pin compatible with most network card EEPROM sockets. The usual big caveats are an address space limitation, usually of 64kb, and limitation of programming voltage to 5V, so you have to check to make sure the flash chip is compatible.

Beyond that, just use a tool like UNIFLASH or FLASHROM to load the chip.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry for the thread necromancy but when I run S3BRIGHT in real DOS I get an incorrect MS-DOS version error?

Reply 10 of 10, by villeneuve

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An old question, but I thought it would still be useful for others visiting this thread to link the answer here:
The solution should be this: Re: S3 AGP Cards (and possibly others) Too Bright